Reviving old Ford seat material

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring
Board Member Since: 2018

Reviving old Ford seat material

Post by Retro54 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:11 pm

I've recently used some PECARD antique leather dressing on a pair of old driving gloves and got great results.

Has anyone used a Pecard product on their old Ford seats? Mine are dry and I'd like to freshen them up a bit. Not even sure if the material is original or replacement (likely) but think it's not actual leather. Does anyone know what it is? Is there a product worth recommending used to revive the material on old seats? Thank you in advance for your suggestions! I have too many questions and not many answers.
Attachments
20200813_210509.jpg
IMG_20200813_210400640.jpg
IMG_20200813_210443861.jpg

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Reviving old Ford seat material

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:41 pm

Leather dressing should not be used on other than leather. It is made to be absorbed into the material, and I doubt that will happen with synthetics. You are likely to end up with a layer of sticky matter on a vinyl surface. There are correct dressings for synthetics.

Allan from down under.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:54 am

Your seats aren't leather, it's more akin to rubberized canvas... Go VERY carefully as if it's dried out it can (depending on what you use) crack and come apart, or (as happened on a test corner of my back seat) turn gooey... Still trying to figure out how to get around that.

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:51 pm

Your seat cushion and seat back upholstery are not factory original.

For one thing, the configuration of the of the seat cushion upholstery is incorrect. The pleats never went down the front like that. The exposed stitching on the armrest is another clue.

Also, the grain of the material is too pronounced.

I was probably re-done sometime in the last 60 years.

I have found that the best thing you can do for old leatherette/naugahyde is clean it with soap and water. Greasy or oily spots can be cleaned with mineral spirits without hurting the finish - at least in my experience.

I would avoid using any dressings, lotions or potions because they can get into the cloth backing and cause long-term headaches.

Topic author
Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Retro54 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Erik, agreed and thank you! I got to drive it for the first time today. I think its actually more pliable than I thought and should hold up a bit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic