Model T oil pressure tech question?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Catbird
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Marsh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster, 1914 Touring, 1923 Depot Hack, 1925 Calliope, 1926 Pickup, 1927 Speedster

Model T oil pressure tech question?

Post by Catbird » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:54 am

Recently acquired a Model T Speedster. It has an aftermarket oil pressure system. Don't have a clue about the Builder.

I started it and zero oil pressure to the gauge. Oil is as supposed to be, upper petcock. The pump and filter are above the Model T "sump" could it needed to be primed?
3.jpg
Attachments
IMG_3838.jpg
IMG_3751 (Medium).jpg
Bill

You can dissect a Model T; but you can’t kill it!

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Re: Model T oil pressure tech question?

Post by Les Schubert » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:10 am

I’ve responded on Facebook.
Have you changed the oil and filter?
I am probably going to suggest “blipping” the throttle. It’s worked for me on various engines including a A65 Continental aircraft engine

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:11 am

This may sound radical, but I would pull at least the covers (if not the motor), and make sure your pressure oil system is operable. You may need to have a higher oil level than stock, your pickup (wherever it is in this motor) may be clogged, your filter as well... your pump could even be shot. Heck, your pressure gauge may even be broken (or disconnected)...

Also you don't know how worn the motor is, nor how it was drilled for pressure oil. So yes, you MAY have to prime the oil system (how? onboard hand pump somewhere or ??) but it could have other issues....

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:34 pm

Most full pressure T engines I have seen and the two full pressure speedsters I've had used a deep oil sump that mounts were the dip tray is. I would worry that placing the oil pickup in the stock T sump could suck air as the motor RPM went up even with just the flywheel and no magnets. The VW pump driven off the cam can loose prime, I had that happen to me and had to take off the oil line and fill it with oil from a point above the hogshead while someone hand cranked the engine slowly.

kmatt2
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:38 pm

Added note I primed the oil pump from the suction side. Your picture shows the pressure side you may have to remove the hogshead and check things out.

Kevin Pharis
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Try pulling the mag post and takin a peek down into the hogshead... sometimes there is a priming tube routed up there with a cap for just such an occasion

Topic author
Catbird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster, 1914 Touring, 1923 Depot Hack, 1925 Calliope, 1926 Pickup, 1927 Speedster

Post by Catbird » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Excellent responses. Thanks! I can pull the hogshead and the drip tray. Drain the oil and filter. The idea of pulling the mag post and see what's there resonates to me. At least I can see the setup of the oil pressure system.

Somehow there is some kind of prime the pump. There is no hand pump. But, logically, there is a simple answer.
Attachments
The pump is near camshaft. How does it get fed?
The pump is near camshaft. How does it get fed?
68552643_3569803499711705_441655502842101760_n.jpg
Bill

Kevin Pharis
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:47 pm

I’ve also seen some set up to only “supply” oil to the mains, not pressurize. The fittings may just drip oil into the stock oiling holes...? More of a supplemental oiling...

GrandpaFord
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Kaminar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22425

Post by GrandpaFord » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone used an electric oil pump that was turned on with the ignition switch? And would that work to prime this engine? Starting an engine is where most wear occurs so having oil flowing before starting should in theory reduce the wear.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:56 pm

The fact that there is no sump visible does not mean that one doesn’t exist. When I build a pressurized T engine I install a dam around the flywheel to keep it out of the oil. So it could provide a satisfactory sump to supply a VW pump on the back of the camshaft. Obviously I don’t know if this exists on this engine.
I would guess that this engine was run satisfactorily before the current owner. Obviously we don’t know!!

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:20 pm

So is there an oil pump? A reserve oil tank with separate pressure pump? If no pump why an oil gauge?
see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1231522080
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80 ... 1261431005
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 1498328393

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:29 pm

Foot Note: a. Have a 1947 Farmall A with thermosyphon cooling and oil pump factor that holds 35-40 psi hot.
b. Have a 1950 series 1 Land Rover that has an out board oil pump for motor, made from a power steering pump.

Topic author
Catbird

Post by Catbird » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:13 pm

Share some answers to my original question.

Drained the oil. Then pulled the filter (There is a bolt on top that drops the filter housing). It was seriously clogged with crud. Cleaned the housing inside and out. Filled the housing with fresh oil, then added fresh oil Non-Detergent to the engine.

Pulled one of the oil lines that feed the engine mains. Used a hand pump and pumped in fresh oil to prime the pump. Not sure what is supposed to prime the pump, but this worked fine.

Took the oil line going to the gauge and blew through it with my air hose. Gauge worked fine.

Put everything back together, fired it up and HAVE OIL PRESSURE! It was so sweet to see the needle peg!

Set the timing on the advance/retard lever until found the "sweet spot" in the middle of the range.

Gas leaks in both Carbs. Press fit for the short straight bronze tubes that connect the fittings. Both of these tubes were leaking. I cleaned the tubes and the holes they fit. Roughed them up and used JB Weld. Works fine!

Carburetors (Solex) running a little lean. I think I need richer jets. Gotta figure this out.

I am really feeling my way and hope I am getting it done right! It seems obvious that someone put a lot of love, effort and money to build this car. Then, I think, that some backyard mechanics had their input. I have worked on my other Model Ts and nothing like this one. There has been one riddle after another.

Nickname for the car? "The Riddler!"

Opinions requested?
Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic