Instead of OCF?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Ed Baudoux
First Name: Edward
Last Name: Baudoux
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Fordor 1926 Huckster 1930 Fordor 1930 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 24216

Instead of OCF?

Post by Ed Baudoux » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:04 pm

What are my Michigan T friends doing the weekend of the OCF this year? Chuck Martel and I have discussed an informal T tour around northern Michigan.
Grayling Michigan
1927 Fordor
1926 Huckster
Founding member of Northern Michigan Drone Skeet Shooting Club :twisted:

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Re: Instead of OCF?

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:14 pm

I'm gonna walk around in a daze, with a blank look on my face, (not too different than any other day), because, my entire life, I have been at OCF on that weekend. I don't know how to do anything else... :(

By the way, tell Chuck Martel that Jerry Van says hello!

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:00 pm

I’m with you Jerry. Around here, it’s really THE old car thing we all enjoy the most. I just love to find a shady spot and watch old cars drive around for 3 days. Think positive, maybe next year!
2A3D4265-487D-426A-923C-36FD10E92DD6.jpeg

Topic author
Ed Baudoux
First Name: Edward
Last Name: Baudoux
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Fordor 1926 Huckster 1930 Fordor 1930 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 24216

Post by Ed Baudoux » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:48 pm

It has been brought to my attention that there is a tour planned between Alma and Houghton Lake that weekend, with a stop at Wellington Farm Park in Grayling. I cannot recommend stopping there. Last time I was there, I was the only applicant for the annual antique car show. I hung around for two hours to see if anyone else had signed up, as I was told their show attracted brass and steam cars. Upon returning to my Fordor, I found four employees of the park setting in my car. I think perhaps that is the reason for the poor attendance. I gladly give rides, and let people touch and handle both of my T's, but I was a little taken aback by the experience at Wellington.
Grayling Michigan
1927 Fordor
1926 Huckster
Founding member of Northern Michigan Drone Skeet Shooting Club :twisted:

TMiller6
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 16, 24, 26 Touring - 26 Roadster and Fordor
MTFCA Number: 14069
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by TMiller6 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:42 am

Every year I miss a special dinner on the same weekend of the OCF. I have also used the OCF as a reason to be late for relatives' weddings.

This year my wife has made it clear that excuses will not be tolerated and I will be taking her to the dinner.

The cancellation of the Old Car Festival is really upsetting my life. Keep in mind I got married on the same day that Henry Ford drove the Quadacycle so I would never forget my wedding anniversary. Old cars are a major passion for me and I miss the shows.
Tom Miller
One who cannot find beauty in an engine cannot find beauty in the universe.

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:00 am

TMiller6 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:42 am
Every year I miss a special dinner on the same weekend of the OCF. I have also used the OCF as a reason to be late for relatives' weddings.

This year my wife has made it clear that excuses will not be tolerated and I will be taking her to the dinner.

The cancellation of the Old Car Festival is really upsetting my life. Keep in mind I got married on the same day that Henry Ford drove the Quadacycle so I would never forget my wedding anniversary. Old cars are a major passion for me and I miss the shows.
Tom,

I certainly remember your early days at OCF. Not to bring up unpleasant moments, but I recall a certain Coupe in a "backing up" race. That was a memorable demonstration of a Model T's flexibility!

TMiller6
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 16, 24, 26 Touring - 26 Roadster and Fordor

Post by TMiller6 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:38 am

Hard to believe tHat was 40 years ago Jerry,

It took a while for them to fill in Miller’s Divot and my friends were fond of dragging me over to see it.

A couple of years ago they tried to set up a another reverse race on the field. My wife ran over and educated the younger employees so there wouldn’t be a repeat.
Tom Miller

TMiller6

Re: Instead of OC

Post by TMiller6 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:45 am

I also like to remember the stainless steel coffee urns and the doughnuts on Saturday morning. And also finally being allowed inside the chicken wire.

I also remember the first Motor Muster where they staked out the lower field to OCF dimensions. When the gigantic fifties cars showed up we had to do hasty re-stake of the ropes.
Tom Miller

Jerry VanOoteghem

Re: Instead of OC

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:06 pm

TMiller6 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:45 am
I also like to remember the stainless steel coffee urns and the doughnuts on Saturday morning. And also finally being allowed inside the chicken wire.

I also remember the first Motor Muster where they staked out the lower field to OCF dimensions. When the gigantic fifties cars showed up we had to do hasty re-stake of the ropes.
Oh my gosh Tom, I was thinking about those doughnuts just yesterday! My mother used to hound my dad to get moving on Saturday morning in order to not miss the doughnuts. Remember the banquets at Lovett Hall?

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:54 am

Tom and Jerry, Yes, I remember a banquet at Lovett Hall. It was the closing dinner for the 1974 MTFCA Tour that was based in the Dearborn, our first tour. A wonderful place for a banquet. I don't think it's the same now - isn't that where the Benson Ford Archives are located?

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Atomic Amish
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Kuczynski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915ish speedster in parts, building a T V8 roadster pickup for support vehicle
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by Atomic Amish » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:35 am

I think that's the weekend of Michigan's youth hunt, right? Around the 17th? I was going to try and avoid going 'up north'(Gladwin, where my in-law's cabin is), but now I may have an 'excuse'. ;)

Hmm....

:)
My other car is an Amish Drag Buggy.
Barnstormers VSC
Si vestri 'non prius novissimo
Celeritate Est Vita
Antique Vehicle Mechanic- Greenfield Village

TMiller6

Post by TMiller6 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:55 pm

Keith,

Lovett Hall is alive and well. The Benson Ford is an annex tied to the south end of Lovett Hall. They still cater many events at the Lovett but not the Old Car Festival dinners that you and Jerry may remember.

From memory I believe the dinner was discontinued around 1979 and a buffet at the original carousel shed was offered in its place. The following year the Lovett Hall banquet returned but it was an additional fee. It was discontinued the year after.

On the other end of the carousel shed was an ice cream place where you could park your car and walk in. I miss that.

Disclaimer -These are my personal recollections and I do not speak for the Henry Ford.
Tom Miller

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic