Wiring a 1925 TT without an ignition switch

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Herr_Wiebold
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Wiebold

Wiring a 1925 TT without an ignition switch

Post by Herr_Wiebold » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:27 pm

Howdy all,

So, I've been approaching the point of test running my TT rebuild, but haven't yet had a chance to rebuild my ignition switch unit... Does anyone know of a way to wire things up to test run with a bypass instead of the insulated switch unit? I can figure a reasonable way to do things myself, the biggest question mark I have is related to the Battery terminal on the coil box... for the car to run, does anyone know what needs to come in here (volts, current, standard DC from a battery, etc)?

Thanks in advance!
- Brett

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Wiring a 1925 TT without an ignition switch

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:41 pm

Well if it is an electric engine with a generator, not a wise idea unless you want to buy a new generator. Best to be patience and have everything ready to go at one time.

Just Sayin'

Hank

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:54 pm

First you want to make sure that when the engine does run, nothing is damaged.
So first disconnect the wire From the generator. Insulate the bare end of the wire then connect the terminal on the generator to ground. This will protect the generator from any damage.
Now connect a wire from the battery positive to the common bar under the coils in the coil box. You may want to put a switch in this wire.
A little hokey but it will do the job 😊😊
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:41 pm

I think I would go ahead and get the switch and wiring hooked up. Of course that’s my opinion but you will eventually need a switch.
The T ignition switch is pretty straight forward and not hard to clean up and rebuild if necessary. If the key still works the switch pretty well there are several earlier post about cleaning and repairing one.
Again it’s just my personal opinion but getting your ignition wiring in shape by installing new wiring and getting your switch in shape would be the way to go. You’ll be glad in the long run you did,
Good luck!

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:59 am

It's been a number of years, but when I finally got the engine back in my TT, the radiator installed, fuel hooked up, and wiring put back together I started cranking (no starter). I cranked, cranked and cranked some more. I couldn't get it to even pop. The only "shortcut" I used was a large 6V flashlight battery instead of a regular car battery.

So, after getting my breath back I started to run some diagnostics. It turned out that there was a short in the coil box. I took it apart, rebuilt it, put it back and tried again. Second or third pull and she was running.

The moral of the story is that I agree strongly with John K. Spend what little time it takes and put the wiring back as it should be. It there's anything wrong you want to be looking at the actual system, not some jury-rigged set-up so you can actually make progress and get it running reliably.

BE_ZERO_BE
First Name: BOB
Last Name: CASCISA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 TOURING
MTFCA Number: 16897
MTFCI Number: 16628

Post by BE_ZERO_BE » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:08 pm

Here are some color wiring diagrams on the MTFCI web site.

https://nebula.wsimg.com/3a0733937917a1 ... oworigin=1

Hope this helps.
Respectfully Submitted,
Be_Zero_Be

I drive a Model T ... Microseconds don't matter :D

For every Absolute Model T Fact there are at least three exceptions.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic