11 Torpedo windshield need info

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
civinwt
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Hopkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 20TT 1Ton, 27 Runabout

11 Torpedo windshield need info

Post by civinwt » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Are the hinges for a Rands windshield different than for other body styles ? Also should the hinges be a "matched" pair to allow the w/s to fold without forcing the upper half outwards?
Lastly, is there a full width seal asy between the upper and lower half to prevent rain splashing inward. If so, is there a source for same, or any one have dimensions to manufacture?

Thank you.

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 153

Re: 11 Torpedo windshield need info

Post by Walter Higgins » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:49 pm

The standard Rands hinges shown here are made to work either vertical or offset with detents at each position.

The "seal" consists of two brass strips running the length of each half, top and bottom, and they nest inside of each other without touching. The one shown in this photo is actually upside-down (just flip the windshield over).

To my knowledge the seal is not currently reproduced. If you are making an entirely new windshield assembly, don't waste your money spending extra for the Torpedo windshield "kit" that is out there. It came with a bogus one-piece seal that I was told "was made to deflect rain but not air" (tell me how that one works), two support rods that were nothing more than straight lengths of brass tubing, and two unfinished rough-cast eyelets for the rods that were so far undersize that there's not enough material to finish properly. Maybe the right parts are out there now, but be sure and do your homework first.
Attachments
588407.jpg
WP_20161006_11_20_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20161006_11_21_07_Pro.jpg

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks for posting that info, Walt - Bruce is a buddy of mine !

Topic author
civinwt

Post by civinwt » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:14 pm

Walt: thank you for the pictures and the info. I have determined that the hinges on my windshield are repros as they do not allow the top half of the w./s to fold down without spreading the frame outward. As to the seal asy, I am going to try and reproduce what I see in your pictures.

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 153

Post by Walter Higgins » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Glad to help where I can. Yes, the reproduction hinges are junk. Good original hinges can be a little tough to find but they are out there.

What are you doing for the support rods? The original were brass clad (not plated) steel tubing. I purchased the materials to do it but haven't gotten around to it yet. The factory drawing for the rods is available from the Benson Ford Research Center.

Topic author
civinwt

Post by civinwt » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:56 pm

Walt, this picture shows the car the way I bought it 4 years ago. Since then I have been doing little cosmetic things to it and the w/s hinges are one of the last items to rectify.
Attachments
BruceH.JPG

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:54 am

I have a question to satisfy my own curiosity. Torpedo windscreens look to be set at a greater angle on the lower half than any other models. Does this mean that the detent ridges pressed in the hinges have to be in different positions to allow the screens to be set at the correct angle?
If the support rods are brass clad rather than plated, they are made of similar tubing to that used in bathrooms for towel rails or as top rods on brass and iron beds. I mention this to give an idea of likely sources.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic