Tape for wrapping mag coils?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Tape for wrapping mag coils?

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:33 pm

This should be easy, but so far it's not.
1 What should I use?
2 Where can I get it by the roll, not in a case of 96 rolls? :(

Thanks
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Tape for wrapping mag coils?

Post by John kuehn » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:05 pm

I think it’s 3M-361 insulating tape. It’s on amazon but it’s not cheap. Older posts say it’s high and there are others that’s similar on amazon.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:14 pm

You can find it on the 'bay at $44.66 per roll. Yep, expensive but it's something you need.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:15 pm

Be careful that you don't spend more on tooling and materials to restore your own coil ring than a finished one from R.V. would cost. ;)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:16 pm

I also read on one of the older posts that if you wanted to do your coil the cost was almost as high as buying another rewound. But that was several years ago. But it would interesting to try to do one. There is plenty of information on the forum on how to do a rewind.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Steve, reply to your earlier post:

Post by jab35 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Steve: I've done one single stack, probably won't do another, the vendors do it better and faster.

I would never roast or cook a core to clean it, too much risk of warping the frame. The original shellac was a bigger challenge than the oil, I washed off most of the oil with kerosene, let it dry and then soaked in denatured alcohol softening the shellac until I could remove the coils without damaging them, since I re-used the copper. (I think all rewound single stack are done these days with new copper strip, I think double stack still re-use the copper) Various solvents, scotch pads and even course steel wool worked for me to clean up the strips. I made sure there were no dings in the strip that might work thru the insulation. Before I rewound the copper I stretched each strip about 4" (~4" in 12' = ~3% strain) which made it straight and flat.

I used McM-Carr p/n 7574A11 fiberglass tape for the between layers and overwrap insulation. That tape silicone insulation is rated up to 500F and is 0.007" thick, comparable to original paper insulation thickness. I split the 1/2" wide tape for application to the strip and used full 1/2" for overwrap. The original Ford overwrap was cotton twill according to one source I talked to.

For the insulating washers between the coil and frame I used 0.020" thick fishpaper, available in sheets from McM, thinner might work better for between coil insulators on double stack.

For final topcoat insulation, clear Glyptal 1202 electrical varnish. I first 'glued' the fishpaper discs and individual coils to the ring with the 1202, waited a day, made and verified the electrical connections and then saturated the entire assembly with liberal brush coat of the varnish. (Apply liberally, don't just give a hairspray coating from a spray can like some videos show). Let it cure a day or two and then bake at 200F for an hour to finish cure. The 200F and one hour bake is from the Glyptal manufacturer, and there is very little smell from the oven.

Andre shows how it all goes together and his work is excellent. RV has excellent products, and very fair prices.

Have fun, jb

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:02 am

Be careful that you don't spend more on tooling and materials...than a finished one from R.V. would cost.

The tooling won't be much, but the materials may add up to about $100-$150. I need to do more shopping around. I do not like it when shipping costs more than the product. Thanks to all for the info.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by HalSched » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:15 am

Steve, if you have an electric motor rewinding shop in your area check with them; they may be able to help with some of the stuff that you need.

AndreFordT
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Valkenaers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 ; 1922 ; 1915.
MTFCA Number: 23792
MTFCI Number: 19330

Post by AndreFordT » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:10 am

Steve,
Here a few photos of what I use.
First there is the tool I made to make the coils. $2.-
The masking tape (polyester based and stand oil when used properly). Here I found it in about every "do it self shop". $2.- each need two.
Cotton tape 3/8" large needed about 1.3m each coil makes a little over 20m. You can find it at a sewing shop by the meter or 5 meters.
Last time I bought it was 200m for $57.- all in.
The coating here you can find the polyester resin for $16.-/liter available in 1/2liters. One liter does four coil loops.

I think for about $15.- you should find what you need to do the rebuild.

Good luck
Andre
Belgium
Attachments
S500083602.JPG
DSCN983602.JPG

ABoer
First Name: Anthonie
Last Name: Boer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1923 roadster 1925 pickup
MTFCA Number: 19790

Post by ABoer » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:03 am

Hi All ;
Do one of you know ,where we can buy NEW Isolated copper strip . ???
Thanks for your answer .

Toon

VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:08 am

Steve, I'll bet, you probably noticed when that chunk of stuff came off your coils that they weren't wrapped with any of this high faluting electronic Mylar tape...for one thing it wasn't around back then and for another, it would've been too expensive to Henry to even think about using. Nope, Ford (being the cheapo he was) used just plain old fashioned Friction Tape, that same black cloth tape you get over at Harbor Freight for a buck and a half a roll. And if you've noticed, the winds are very tight and close (about .250 to .375 at the crown with .125 at the center) Then they either spread or dribbled a potting solution (probably tar or varnish and not a lot of either, the idea was to seal the cloth weave to keep it from coming unraveled) on them to seal them, same thing you're going to do with that spray on electronic varnish...so it really doesn't matter what you wrap them with, you're going to seal them anyway.

When I had mine apart a couple of the coils had gotten damaged by the magnet plates that went bouncing about inside the engine, one put a sizeable dent in the bottom of one of the dips on the inspection plate and the other decided to have a bit fun with a couple of coils on my magneto....I re-wrapped the outer covering with (you guessed it) friction tape I got at Harbor Freight, didn't know how much it would take so I bought a couple of rolls of it. Re-wrapped those two, made sure the polarity was correct and re-potted them with stick varnish (one thing about us old piano tech guys, we've always got a few sticks of varnish around...we use to fill holes in a piano, then re-drill for the screw or glue things together with).

They've been in there for over 3 years now and it is running just fine....so give some thought to the old fashioned way of doing things and forget all these fancy grade tapes....Black friction tape works and it is what Ford used also!
Fun never quits!

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:42 am

Here is link for tape for coil wrapping. Find a motor rewind shop close by and ask them. They should be able to dip your coil.
https://www.eis-inc.com/electrical-insu ... -ph2212101
Or do yourself a favor, call RV . Dan

Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:54 am

You will also need insulation paper for the doughnuts.
https://www.eis-inc.com/electrical-insu ... m/c-ph2112

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:30 am

I think Martin Vowell makes a good point. I noticed the same thing about the mag coil tape years ago and thought it looked about the same as plain old friction tape that had deteriorated over the years. The tape that’s mostly used nowadays will last longer but I have to say that what Ford used originally lasted at least 50 years or longer. That’s pretty good considering the newer tape will probably last at 75 or more years!
And that’s fine to use better materials and I‘m glad that’s being done.

Newtexaz
First Name: Randy
Last Name: Clemens
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster Pickup, 1926 Roadster, 1927 Fordor

Post by Newtexaz » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:05 pm

Steve,

I did one just for the experience and it was a good experience. I may have tape left (3M Glass Cloth tape) for the coil wrapping and Kapton tape used to insulate between the wires. I will will give it to you if I still have it. Will check on that tonight.

Randy

Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:04 pm

I have rebuilt hundreds of mag coils and never saw anything that looked like friction tape on an original Ford coil. Only 1/2” cotton coil wrap tape. Dan

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:32 pm

There is no friction tape in a genuine FORD field coil.

I would imagine there were (and has been since) many “spurious” manufacturers and rebuilders who did some pretty dicey work...

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:44 pm

The original coil wrap was cotton twill (no adhesive) saturated with shellac after installation.

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:03 am

I will will give it to you if I still have it.

Thanks, Randy, but I found some.

Model T-Tips now has a video on mag coil rebuilding. Mike Bender sent me this link to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTNQiabdZp4
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic