Auto Auction

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Auto Auction

Post by 2nighthawks » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:45 pm

Just today received my current issue of Old Cars Weekly, and altho' I'm sure that this auto auction is already well known about by the "car guys" in the South Central USA, but just in case, I thought I'd mention that the magazine contains a full-page ad about "The Wilcox Collection", no reserve Smith Auction to be held Sept. 19th at 12 Grandruth Lane at Damascus, Arkansas. The ad contains a phone number (1-800-861-7648) for "complete list". The ad also mentions "120+ cars, Ford & Mercury", and lists specifically 6 Model A's and 18 Model T's, including 4 brass "T's. Also at bottom of the ad,....smithauctionsllc.com,.....again, for those that for whatever reason might not otherwise hear about this auction.

I think I'm glad it's a couple thousand miles away for me, cause this "disease" has caused be to be the crazy owner of four Model T's and one Model A already! 😋 Anyway,....FWIW,.....harold

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Re: Auto Auction

Post by Dan Hatch » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Looked up on google map to see where in the wide world of sports that is. First tag popped up was just a little way down the road , Titan 2 ICBM launch site # xxxx. That is where I want to live!
Not very good job with pictures, no pics of whole cars. Just about every one miss named.
Still might be good auction. Thanks for post. Dan

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:02 pm

The auction is almost in my back yard. I was going to post about it tomorrow, but Harold and Dan beat me. I met the Auctioneer at the sale site today. We went over all the Ts today and I helped him figure the years and models of the Ts. He said he knew just enough to be dangerous when it comes to Ts. He will be changing and adding to the listings in the days and weeks to come. There will be no parts, just cars. Maybe a little memrobelia but It has not arrived at the auction site yet. Ken had cars stashed in buildings all over the area. The family is still finding and delivering cars to the auction site.

Now a little history on the collection. It belonged to a man named Ken Wilcox. He had a dream of a car museum near Conway Arkansas. He wanted one Ford car for every year of production since 1909 to date. The only problem was he started too late in life. He also knew very little about cars. I liked Ken and only knew him thru the cars he bought. I did some work on the Ts for him and also sold him several of the cars. But he did not care if the car ran or even if it was correct. Many of the cars are poor restorations or pieced together . Some are incomplete shells of a car. But he also bought some really nice cars that are mixed in with the poor quality cars. There is a 1921 T touring that was mine. It was a very nice mostly original car that I would trust to go anywhere in. It was our tour car for several years and I always kept it in perfect running condition. The 1915 touring is also a good car. It is a mostly correct mostly original car. It has a few wrong parts but still a good car. I got it running for him after he bought it and I had driven it for several days after I got it running. It was a good driver. But it has not ran for about 10 years since I took it back to him. I saw a 26 Tudor today that was a nice car but has a 1925 engine. But it is still a nice car. There are a few other pretty nice cars there but nothing has ran in years. The same thing goes for the later cars. There are some nice cars and some are just projects. But nothing has ran for years.

If anyone is interested in anything . I can probably fill in the details of the car. Most of the Ts I either owned, worked on, or knew the owner who sold it to Ken.

PS, The Titan missile silo blew up in the 1980s. So it is no concern anymore. But back then it scarred the he'll out of us. We could taste the rocket fuel at our house. The police evacuated us in the middle of the night. We headed north toward Missouri to my parents house.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Here's the link to the Smith auction http://www.smithauctionsllc.com/locatio ... ollection/ If you click on a picture to see more detailed photos - the response is a bit slow - just 1 -5 more photos to see
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:34 am

Donnie: I would not worry about the launch site itself. I would worry more about what it would attract from USSR or China.
Somewhere in the world there is a map with a circle drawn around that site still.

Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:35 am

Donnie: Question. Where is nearest place to stay to auction?
Conway?

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:23 pm

Dan, Conway is about the only choice. Its a college town and is on I-40 so there are lots of choices to stay and eat. The auction is just about 15 miles north of Conway.

I'm curious how this auction will be. With most all the events being cancelled this year, will there be a big crowd or smaller crowd. ?. In not planning on buying anything, but if stuff is really cheap, who knows .?? :) Maybe Ill see some of you guys there.

They never rebuilt the Titan silo after the explosion. They de-commisioned all the Titan missle silos all over the US shortly after the explosion. So maybe they threw away all the maps to the old silos.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic