Looking back at the Forum

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Looking back at the Forum

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:23 pm

The forum has been one of my best resources for photo details as I do artwork. Shapes and colors of cars and parts are plentiful. We have some first-rate photographers who get to the right places and capture delightful things. However it is easy to get lost in the stories and shows where these things hide. How quick I forget and how marvelous many of these are to rediscover.
This is a treasure trove of old car stuff.
Rich
When did I do that?

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Re: Looking back at the Forum

Post by Rich Bingham » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:32 pm

Amen !! It's also like a garage meet running 24/7 where we can find tips, mechanical help, tools, and answers to our questions. It's addictive ! But in a good way !!
"Get a horse !"

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:54 pm

This forum is the only thing on the internet I look at every single day.
1924 Touring

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Best resource for Ts anywhere !!
Like Rich B said "a garage meet 24/7", I'll add, and a swap meet !! :D
Attachments
IMG_3669.JPG

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:25 pm

I have a model t folder in My Documents, It is huge from all the stuff,old photos, current photos, service, options, opinions,etc. I have have sub folders like different years, trucks, speedsters, race cars,adds, other autos, motorcycles and airplanes. I have special folders for Art, tech articles, history, projects and the like . Carburetors,engines, rear ends, transmissions, tops, wheels wood etc. I love this place!!!
I like to be able to help or share experiences.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:18 pm

The improvements were a long time coming but it still fits like a pair of old comfortable slippers.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:42 am

Another aspect I like is a reference of what, when or how something was done in the past. I seem to loose information I set aside but the forum is an easier place to find these.
When did I do that?

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:13 am

Glad y’all are enjoying it. Out of necessity, I’m here every day as well. But I do get lost in here for hours sometimes - like this morning! My first forum visit way back when landed me on a painting thread by Rich Eagle. I’ve been hooked ever since.

It also seems like the site has settled into a good place. I get a fair number of folks reporting out of place posts which I do my best to sort out and a few spammers still get through my defenses but my e-malathion supply is endless and they are quickly eradicated.

AdminJeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:42 am

Searchability is a big advantage this forum has over the Model T groups on Facebook, where things disappear into the electronic ether. It also offers the benefit of help and advice from very knowledgeable members of the geriatric demographic who shun FB. :D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:39 pm

Looking back over the forum is indeed a great topic in and of itself. Not only has the technology changed with time, but the level of topic has changed also. I’ve talked before about the front porch approach that held for many and in some ways it is sometimes still like that, and there is the unsaid which I’d categorize as about 50% of topics historically being technical to the grass roots level. We don’t get into things like manufacturing process interpretations anymore, or what metallurgy of the time vs what is appropriate metallurgy today, or even WDFDT? (Why did Ford do that?) and I’m not faulting the present lack of discussions along those lines, I’d actually like to think that just about all that could be asked and answered HAS BEEN through this forum, and it is true that anyone who wants to can easily check archive posts for that sort of information/answer.

Folks no longer seem to be swallowing transmissions with regularity they were a decade or so ago…and that’s a good thing. (Yeah I know…some of you will say newbies are too timid based on the same history) :lol:

There is still the two-piece crank club unfortunately but it also seems to be occurring less and less. (Yeah I know…some of you will say newbies are too timid based on the same history) :lol:

The vendor base has learned to test things more fully before running with the ball as the social media side of the forum can be an instant death if the product is only marginal.

We no longer get as many requests/discussions on what colors should an early or late car be painted as maybe they have all been painted or…maybe the forum archive has enough answers to provide a quick reply, or the real serious types learned that modern day science CAN replicate the original components and techniques that produced the colors and the depth of colors of a century ago…for about twice what a high end paint job costs today and even those guys that may have deep pockets flinch on finding those early finishes even of the past have a half life of about 3 years…or the real engine color of the improved cars just might have been more ‘mouse’ than olive

I could go on and on as many know but I am glad that we are where we are today and that the forum as a venue can and will increase the knowledge base to keep the mysteries of a T in a bit of a simpler understood way.

Thanks to everybody…those that have gone on, those that continue to contribute, and even to ‘the lurkers’ because most of you are just chomping at the bit to ‘get involved’, eh?

Can this replace the need to have a poster child go and update the Encyclopedia? That still remains to be seen but remember, Bruce tried to solicit a 'keeper/publisher' before he passed without takers so I'd reckon a guess it does?

Marty Bufalini
First Name: Marty
Last Name: Bufalini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring

Post by Marty Bufalini » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:04 pm

I am by no means a mechanic or mechanically inclined. I'm an historian.

BUT, this forum has been invaluable thanks to all the accumulated wisdom and knowledge of all of you.

Thanks.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:23 pm

I have learned to do a search before most of my questions. The info is recorded for all to see. I would say to the experienced and knowledgable concerning T's " post answers to questions or your 2 cents" .
I read alot of posts with answers to my problem from guys no longer with us. Your experience and help will be used by the next generations of caretakers of these old Ford T models.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic