Zipping around in a Runabout

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Zipping around in a Runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:13 am

I have gotten spoiled driving in two passenger model Ts all my life. Fast acceleration and pretty good hill climbing. This weekend some old friends of mine came up to drop off a banjo for some refurbishing and I gave them rides in my runabout. These guys are in the 260 lb range. I was amazed how much smoother the ride was but also how sluggish the car was with the extra weight. Can’t imagine how it must be with a touring car or sedan full of passengers.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Zipping around in a Runabout

Post by DHort » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:18 pm

It takes a lot longer to get up to speed and when you hit a hill, plan on dropping down to low gear near the top. With my speedster it does not seem to make any difference with 200+ pounds in the passenger seat. I myself am only 160lbs.

Topic author
Mark Osterman
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Well, I usually get a head of steam when I approach a hill if moving. Much harder when you come to a stop light or sign on a hill and then have to start out in low. I usually retard the spark and gradually advance the spark as I pick up speed. I weigh around 220 and the car is very responsive with just me and my wife. But it was a different story with a guy heavier than me in the other seat.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Very true.

My Touring hasn't had a back seat until recently. This weekend I gave a ride to three adults.

Wow...it really slowed the old girl down. I figured it would do so, but the extent to which it occurred was unexpected.
1924 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:06 pm

The 20 HP engine Ford built into a Model T will do good or just OK for one person but in a Fordor T or a Touring four people is a definite slowdown. Four good sized people can be at least 500lbs and up to 800+ really good sized people! That’s a load for a 20hp engine.
Getting up to speed takes a while but going down hill and trying to slow down is another story!

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:22 pm

:lol: The usual load for my runabout is myself (170#) grandkid (70#) and border collie (45#). Trip to the co-op adds 250# of feed, and 48# of diesel for the tractor. Doubling the load certainly makes a noticeable difference in response. I'd guess that 583# is close to a period "load" in a touring car, say 160# for dad, 120# for mom and the balance for kids, dog, in-laws and how much heavier the touring body is. Folks were generally smaller and leaner when Model Ts were new.

Out of curiosity, I don't think I've seen the weights of the different body styles posted anywhere. Anyone know ?
"Get a horse !"

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:37 pm

The Model T was getting old and slow and as history tells us it was a hard pill to swallow for Henry to replace it in the mid to late 20’s.
History tells the rest of the story.
But they are still around! I have a 1919 Roadster, 21 Touring and a 24 Coupe. I have to admit that the 1919 roadster seems to be a bit more speedier. They are all bone stock engine wise.
Weight would make a bit of a difference it seems. But that’s my opinion.

Mark Nunn
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:35 am

Rich, shipping weights are listed in the encyclopedia. I took a peek at the 1924 numbers, for example, and found the Runabout at 1540 lbs, Touring at 1650 and Fordor at 1950.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:21 am

Thanks Mark. I haven't looked in the encyclopedia in a long while, shipping weights seem to vary a lot year to year, and no figures are given for some body types for many years. I wonder if the differences account for dunnage and different methods for loading ? Any road it's interesting to note the 1927 bare chassis is rated 72# heavier than the pre-1915 touring cars, and the Fordor sedan 804# heavier ! (Glass is heavy !) No wonder folks began to be disappointed in the T's performance! Now I'm curious how the center-door body compares in weight to the later Fordor bodies. I wonder how much lighter the aluminum panelled bodies are ?
"Get a horse !"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic