How to drill out and replace key cylinder

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dave_Kriegel
First Name: David
Last Name: Kriegel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 1926
MTFCA Number: 52627
Board Member Since: 1999

How to drill out and replace key cylinder

Post by Dave_Kriegel » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:40 pm

Greetings I have tried to search the forum for key words "key" "key cylinder " replace key cylinder" ( Guess what I need to replace???) I got 13 hits but no advice . Someone looks like they tried to jimmy the lock cylinder of my car in storage so the cylinder face is marred. Key will not go in. I bought a replacement key and cylinder from Langs. No instructions. ANy point in the direction of posts to drill out the old rivits, replace key cylinder will be appreciated greatly :D

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: How to drill out and replace key cylinder

Post by John kuehn » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:41 pm

I assume your talking about the ignition switch. If it is you need to remove the switch plate from the car. That’s what I would do.
Remove the 4 screws that holds the switch plate on the dash.
If your car has the twist in switchback twist it to remove it. If it has the four tabs carefully bend them back so you can remove the switch back.

Remove any other wires from the switch plate and simply take it off so you can put it on your bench.
Use a dermal or small drill to remove the back side of the rivets where they are branded on and you should be able to take the switch apart.

The lock cylinder is in a sort of cage you can carefully pry apart to remove the old cylinder.
Install the new cylinder in the ‘cage’ and squeeze it back together.

Then you put the plate back together and install the new rivets by using something to back up the head of the rivet and brad the rivet.
Others may have other opinions how get the cage apart if necessary. but generally this is how it’s done.

George Hand
First Name: George
Last Name: Hand
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 open express, 1920 touring, 1926 tudor-lisenced and insured, 1921tt project 1922 fendered chassis, 192x tt dootle bug 192xengine w/winch projects
MTFCA Number: 28114
MTFCI Number: 21834

Post by George Hand » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:41 pm

Dave, If you are replacing the ignition cylinder on an original switch expect to have to remove material on the outside of the replacement cylinder, unless the problem has been corrected the replacement cylinders are .010-.015 larger in diameter & will not fit original switch housings as is. If you have a newer replacement switch they should fit. Usually the newer replacement switches are made to use a #55 key. George
Last edited by George Hand on Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:26 pm

I wonder how hard it is to re-key an original lock cylinder, or if it's even possible?

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:26 am

I have re-keyed original cylinders, that's simple if you can find the correct old stock parts. (The original barrels varied in the location of guide for the slot in the key, the original tumblers exchange universally in original cylinders as far as I know.) The biggest challenge I faced was finding a functional original cylinder.

Rekeying the repo's is problematic as old stock parts may not fit well, if at all. IMHO, the new repo's are near junk, there's no keeper for the tumblers like the originals, the key fit is sloppy, and the barrel OD may be incorrect. However the repo is better than nothing, and I am grateful to at least have something. jb

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic