Another Speedster Adventure!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Chris Bamford
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Bamford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Speedster 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 17817

Another Speedster Adventure!

Post by Chris Bamford » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:53 am

The Northwest Vintage Speedsters gang runs a great 200 mile Endurance Run in the PNW every Labour Day weekend — 2020 excepted of course. Friend Jerry and I look forward to motoring down from Edmonton in the '24 Speedster for this first-rate event, but this year we two vagabonds set off to the south-southeast in search of homegrown adventure.

We've been on the road three days now and it seems the fun just won't quit. Here are a few highlights...

The Foothills Model T Ford Club had a Model T Fun Day at Harry and Rosalie Lillo's place just east of Calgary on Saturday. We arrived at Lillos late Saturday AM after spending the night in Cochrane.

A dozen or more Ts and 30+ people turned out for the Fun Day:
1 Ts in a row.jpg
A number of folks enjoyed their first T driving experience:
2 Student driver.jpg
The lunch was plentiful and delicious:
3 Lunch time.jpg
Robb Wolff checked my four coils and the spare for adjustment. I purchased these four and eight more from Ron Patterson about 15 years ago. They've not been touched since, and Robb was hard pressed to find any further adjustment needed:
4 Robb Wolff coil testing.jpg
More driving lessons:
5 T Touring in field.jpg
There were car games as well, but I was busy in the garage with Robb checking my coils, dang it. Many thanks to the Lillos and the FMTFC for a real fun day. I hope some of the other people there on Saturday will chime in on this thread with more photos and stories.

Topic author
Chris Bamford

Re: Another Speedster Adventure!

Post by Chris Bamford » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:03 am

We left Lillo's about 4:00 and made tracks for the Crowfoot Ferry, one of four river ferries still operating in the Province of Alberta.

Wide load!
11 Wide load.jpg
Waiting on the ferry to take us across the Bow River:
12 Waiting on Crowfoot Ferry.jpg
Jeff the Happy Ferry Man gets some seat time in the T. He figures this is one of the best jobs in the world and looks forward to retiring from it many years from now.
13 Jeff the Happy Ferryman.jpg
Owners of the Wheatland Motel in Vulcan, AB (logically) thought the Speedster was pretty cool.
14 Motel couple Vulcan.jpg
We tarp up the cockpit and storage compartments every night. Been doing it this way for years and AFAIK nobody has ever messed with the car. I am now knocking on all wood within reach.
15 Tarped for the night.jpg

Topic author
Chris Bamford

Post by Chris Bamford » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:26 am

We're overnighting in Coutts on the Alberta/Montana border (and as close as we get to the US this trip). Trip odometer says 545 miles since we left Edmonton.

Friday and Saturday were sunny, dry and windy. This morning it was still windy, but sunny and dry were but a memory...
21 Rain driving.jpg
The Canadian Pacific railway bridge northeast of Lethbridge AB. Built during 1907-1909, it's the largest railway structure in Canada at 5,237' in length and 214' height above the Oldman River bed.
22 Lethbridge high bridge.jpg
Murphy's law strikes again... all my coils checked out OK yesterday, but for some reason, #3 faltered, recovered, and faltered again before giving up not long after leaving Lethbridge. Spare is in and fingers crossed they all behave from here on.
23 Coil replacement.jpg
We passed two vehicles Saturday on the Calgary Ring Road. This here's our third catch of the trip:
24 Passing #3.jpg
Livin' the dream!
25 Living the Dream!.JPG

Blaze
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Ford Model T Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50875
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Blaze » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:30 am

Great pictures, looks like loads of fun!
Thx for sharing!

Harry Lillo
First Name: Harry
Last Name: Lillo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedsters, racers, depot hack, coupe
MTFCA Number: 13996

Post by Harry Lillo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:27 pm

It was great to see Chris and Jerry out for our Foothills Model T event on Saturday. We had close to 50 people and 15 cars.
Barry Proctor cooked 50 pounds of Mexican Discada along with a few dozen smokies. No one went hungry.
These guys have turned into hard core T touring folks. Hopefully they were under cover before last night's rain and snow.
Harry Lillo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic