External adjustable bands

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DJPeterson
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Peterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1916 Roadster, 1925 Roadster PU, 1926 Canadian Fordor, 1927 Speedster

External adjustable bands

Post by DJPeterson » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:22 pm

Has any one else had a problem with the externally adjustable pedals? Was driving the 26 Fordor that I had installed these on when I lost braking. Thought that I had lost the band lining at first. Saw a broken transmission drum take one out on a car previously so thought the worst. When the transmission cover was opened up, everything looked hunky dory. Took the brake pedal off to inspect and found that there was a notch in the sleeve where the set screw had stretched out the hole, allowing the pedal to rotate without application of the brake band.
Have ordered RM brakes and pedal. This is the second time losing brakes in this car. First time was due to wood band failure. Sure is good to know the well adjusted e brake is there!

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Re: External adjustable bands

Post by ModelTWoods » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:48 am

Is there anyone who has had success with Michon externally adjusted pedal shafts ?

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:02 pm

I have those on everything, Terry and I generally like them. I have had an issue. The little tab inside on the shaft was barely hanging on by a poor weld. I caught it in time and fixed it, but could have made a mess. I passed that on to Lang’s, where I purchased them.
Another issue, I do have one on a reverse pedal that seems to loosen up by itself. Haven’t had time to figure that out yet. I’ve temporarily baling wired It in place, but will figure it out when I have a chance. Haven’t driven the old girl this year yet.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:22 am

I know two people that use these and a third person who removed them when they fell apart inside after a couple weeks use. My opinion is that the risk of internal damage is of greater concern than the small time and effort it takes to remove the inspection cover to adjust the brake & reverse bands. Besides, you should be looking inside there a couple times per season anyway.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:17 pm

Dropacent wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:02 pm
I have those on everything, Terry and I generally like them. I have had an issue. The little tab inside on the shaft was barely hanging on by a poor weld. I caught it in time and fixed it, but could have made a mess. I passed that on to Lang’s, where I purchased them.
Another issue, I do have one on a reverse pedal that seems to loosen up by itself. Haven’t had time to figure that out yet. I’ve temporarily baling wired It in place, but will figure it out when I have a chance. Haven’t driven the old girl this year yet.
Tim, I have never used them, but I have a set, purchased decades ago, that I've never used, and I thought that I might try them in my next transmission. Would replacing the nuts that come with it, with NYLOK nuts with nylon inserts to prevent movement, work?

Dropacent
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 pm

Terry, the nut has a tab welded to it. Might be worth a try, though. You’d have to be careful not to melt the nylon when attaching the tab, and it needs welded on good.

Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:07 pm

Terry, thanks! I may have had an ah,ha moment. I have so few anymore. I looked up a picture on Lang’s site, and they look like they come with a locknut. I probably melted the nylon when I welded the tab back on, causing my shaft to loosen by itself. Maybe also why the maker is putting a little teenie weld on.
I still like them , just be careful before installing that the tab is on good.
F799F00D-4296-4F52-9D57-7DC58DAB6E15.jpeg

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:53 am

If I had to reweld one of those tabs on, I would rig up some way to hold the nut mostly submerged in water or some kind of a heat sink to keep from damaging the nylon. Use short quick bursts with the welder to keep the heat down. JMHO. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic