WTB ENCLOSED CAR TRAILER

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Paul B
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Bourgeois

WTB ENCLOSED CAR TRAILER

Post by Paul B » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:54 pm

LOOKING FOR A GOOD USED, ENCLOSED CAR TRAILER TO COMFORTABLY HAUL A 1913 MODEL T TOURING, TOP UP. EMAIL ME AT: ALBPRB@GMAIL.COM

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman

Re: WTB ENCLOSED CAR TRAILER

Post by HaroldRJr » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Paul - Not trying to sound like a "know-it-all" here, but after a couple years of off & on "research" and "searching", I gave up trying to find a "used" enclosed Model T "top up" car hauler trailer that was tall enough, and finally had to buy a new one. The problem I found is that about 99 out of a hundred used trailers are just standard height, basically designed to haul modern cars, and accordingly, are not sufficient to load & haul a "top-up" touring car. Also, in finally resorting to looking online for a suitable new trailer, I really got sick of reading new trailer specifications that always listed ceiling height figures, but never, NEVER listing the clearance height of the rear door opening!!! Why can't manufacturers understand that if ya' can't get the car thru' the doorway with the top up, it doesn't make a darn bit of difference how much inside ceiling height the trailer has!!!

What I finally found at a Trailers Plus dealer, was a vee-nose 27 ft. Interstate brand trailer called an "Allsport" model, and this is basically a toy-hauler trailer, that is also designed strong enough to load and haul full sized automobiles. It was originally ordered with 6-inch extra height, and because it has the "beaver-tail floor" (rear several feet of floor is slanted downward about 6 inches) my tallest Model T with the top up clears the top of the doorway by about 3 inches. Nice to have just barely enough extra height, but not excessive, as all these enclosed trailers really do feel side wind from "Mother Nature" and passing semi truck/trailers!) I guess "the deal fell through" with whoever originally ordered the trailer, and because it sat on the dealers lot for quite awhile, I got a really good deal on it!

For information, I have no connection of any kind with "Trailers Plus", however, I can say that I have had nothing but good service and lots of good advice from the Trailers Plus people at the dealer I dealt with in Olympia, WA. In fact, I have been encouraged to bring the trailer in once-a-year for safety inspection, lubrication, etc, etc absolutely "complimentary' for as longs I own it! And for what it's worth, it's kind of a nice feeling to know that Trailers Plus has (at last count) a total of 42 dealer/service agencies all over the lower continental U.S.

You didn't ask for all this Paul, but though I'd share what I learned from "experience",.....harold

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Re: WTB ENCLOSED CAR TRAILER

Post by Gonenorth » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Harold is correct: finding an extra height trailer on the used market is an exercise in frustration. The ones I have seen for sale were frequently sold with the cars that were up for sale too. Lots of manufacturers will custom build a trailer for your needs. I ordered a NEO aluminum trailer with enough height to drive my 26 in with plenty of top space to spare in the rear door. Vee front 26' long, and 96" height at the rear door door opening. I suspect it will be all I will ever need. My only complaint is that it came with TowMax tires. Not good! They are not called 'blow-max" for no reason. They came off post haste and a new set of Goodyear Endurance tires and new spare went on it. Tows like a dream.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic