Barn Find TT

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
SamInStL
First Name: Sam
Last Name: Atkinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '27 Runabout, '25 Panel Truck
MTFCA Number: 7023
MTFCI Number: 18469
Board Member Since: 2019

Barn Find TT

Post by SamInStL » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:04 pm

This morning I looked at a Barn Find for sale by the granddaughter of the original owner. It is a true one-owner vehicle, she still has the original title and accompanying paperwork and it hasn't been out of the garage and barely looked at since 1939. It has a wooden body that grandpa used for transporting vegetables to market and it looks like he sold them retail from the back of the truck. The body is ultra cool and in easily refurbished condition. I would love to restore the driveline and make it into a "Barn-Fresh" driver EXCEPT it's a TT with that cussed worm drive rear end. My question: is it possible to put a car rear axle under a TT? Maybe modify the TT driveshaft to accept a pinion gear? Maybe lengthen the car driveshaft? Maybe make a new driveshaft? Should I just forget the whole idea and not buy it? Any suggestions?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Barn Find TT

Post by Allan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:09 pm

Buy it!!!!! Then, if you must go harder, and you want to preserve it rather than restore it, fit a new KC Warford truck ratio transmission in the driveline.

WE NEED PHOTOS.
Allan from down under.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:12 pm

You can install a warford or other auxillary trans to give overdrive. High speed ring gear gives more speed also. Mine has high speed gears and a Chicago 3 speed. I hit 42mph once! Stopping is the next thing to consider. Mine will run 30mph comfortably. My normal speed is about 25. These parts are available without re inventing the wheel. Sounds like a great truck that should be back on the road. Hint Hint! :D
Yes photos!!!

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:45 pm

Going by your description the truck is a genuine barn find! It’s not an older semi restoration that was left in a garage 20 years ago and recently found.

I would document it if you buy it and if it’s in pretty solid shape clean it and do a refresh of the car. They don’t show up in an unrestored good condition very often any more and you’ve made a real find.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:57 pm

I have a 3 speed Warford & a high speed Ruckstell in my Gramps' TT - I can cruise at 30 - 35 mph comfortably.

tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:00 pm

Buy it and don't restore it. It's only original once. If you need a high speed ring gear they turn up once in a while, so do auxiliary transmissions, 30 MPH is plenty fast enough.
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:30 pm

I'd be all over it. Rebuild the mechanicals as needed and leave the body alone as much as possible. Glorious old interior fabrics, while beautiful, typically don't last very long once they start seeing regular use. As for the metal, I've used some stuff called Penetrol to preserve and bring out old paint while avoiding the wet, oily look. It seems to really like the black Gilsonite paint that Ford used for many years.

There are auxiliary transmissions that can help with the TT rear end.

And....please post photos.
1924 Touring

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:28 am

My TT will keep up with the cars. Been clocked at 48, wound out, but will
cruise comfortably at 35. Stopping is more of concern than going.

26 2016 aug 25 1.jpg
More people are doing it today than ever before !

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:16 am

People have been asking Sam for pictures of his barn-find TT and he asked if I would post these for him.

IMG_6328.JPEG
IMG_6333.JPEG
IMG_6338.JPEG
IMG_6339.JPEG

Mr. Wagner also decided at some point that he needed a way to let people know if he was going to make a left turn. If you look carefully, you can see a board hinged at the top with a work glove at the other end and a piece of rope that the driver can pull to extend the "hand."

IMG_4256.JPG

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:26 am

What a unique truck. It needs to be on the road again. What a great project it would be. I look forward to more on this truck.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:29 am

That is beyond cool ! This is an early truck, with the 23" rear wheels.

What a fantastic time capsule !!! :shock:

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:38 am

A couple of better pictures of the "turn signal."

IMG_6707.JPG
Attachments
IMG_6713.JPG

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:40 am

How cool is that ????? Very peculiar design !

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:13 pm

I would "refurbish it" that is fix mechanical items and repair/replace the body parts to retain the original design. Having said that and keeping with what the others said I would not "restore it". Just wash the painted surfaces and make the rest of the repairs to match that aged look. In other words everything needs to work around the door (left untouched). The challenge to make the rusted fenders and hood etc match the door - dents are okay but not broken brackets.
Attachments
tt.jpg
tt.jpg (18.59 KiB) Viewed 5733 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:41 pm

That is wonderful. I love the turn signal. I would replace the rotten canvas and preserve the rest of the body as is, except the glass, of course.

I agree, do not try to cobble a car rear axle into it. If you must go fast, an aux transmission and external brakes would be the way to go.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:45 pm

This ladies and gentleman is a GENUINE BARN FIND old vehicle that happens to be a Model T TT truck!
It actually hasn’t been touched! Even has the untouched dirt and grime on it.

And as others have said get it so it will be OK to drive but no more than a refresh and not a restoration.
Clean the gas tank, change the oil and replace the radiator hoses and replace the wiring. It’s not that hard to do and it’s easy to follow the wiring diagrams. It’s not rocket science.
Replace the coils or send them out to be rebuilt and try to get it started. And of course you’ll need some new tires. Take your time and don’t get in a hurry.
Nice to see one that’s a Real barn find and good luck!

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:38 pm

Wasn’t there a Buster Keaton film with a turn signal like that? Anxious to see pictures of it out in the daylight. Preferably a cloudy bright day with no hard shadows.

RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:39 pm

Oh wow....that is just stunning. The signage, the bodywork, the turn signals....everything.

I love it and would consider it a dream to slowly go through the old girl and return her to service. I'd handle that like an archaeologist and just revel in every second of it.

Wow.
1924 Touring

RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:44 pm

Sam...if you're not going to buy this, please let me know.

I have a trailer ready to head to MO....I'm totally serious.
1924 Touring

Topic author
SamInStL

Post by SamInStL » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:15 pm

When I heard about this Barn Find only ten miles from my house I jumped at the opportunity but wasn't expecting a TT. My disappointment faded quickly as I explored and when I saw the turn signal I was hooked! It is totally complete and unmolested (Except for the junk piled all around it of course). It is indeed a time capsule and Don's comment about handling it like an archeologist is exactly what my plans are. I guess you have to be a little crazy to be in this hobby. Now if I can only convince my wife!!

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:18 pm

Sam, when you get it out, please take lots of photos of the truck. I am really interested in the body construction. Well said Don. Back in time if you will. I found hand made dowls filling holes in the bed floor and other repairs that told some history of my truck. I cant wait for more photos!

YellowTRacer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Archer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 replica Transcontinental race car, 1915 2 man race car, 1918 American bodied speedster
MTFCA Number: 19
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by YellowTRacer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 pm

Thank you so much for showing it to us. Finally a true,real barn find.

Ed aka #4

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:55 pm

Sam, when I bought Henrietta, my barn fresh original cut down T buckboard, a large part of the considerations was arriving at a valuation which was both realistic and acceptable to the family selling their Dad's old car. I was fortunate that a similar car had been both bought and re-offered at auction just a few months earlier, so there was a recent precedent around which to base an offer. From the family's point of view, they were really pleased to know that I wanted to preserve Henrietta as she was, as a statement of her preservation and history. This made parting with the car less of a wrench for them. My one real regret is that their dad passed away a couple of months before I got her back on the road.

I have no idea of the considerations you have to deal with, but outlining your intentions for the old dear may make the transaction that much less stressful for all. Your greatest problem may be deciding the value you put on your own feelings/reactions to the vehicle and the responsibilities you may be taking on. I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

Allan from down under.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:10 pm

I've told this story here before, but my interest in T-era cars goes back to my earliest years.
In 1969, my parents bought a farm, east of Seattle and at the age of 8, the world of woods
and creeks and barns and fields became my playground. Over the hill from our place was
another farm, owned my Mrs. Miller. It was really derelict, .... just the kind of place I like.
And in her barn was a TT just like the one I own today. It sat next to other farm equipment,
including a Fordson tractor of similar vintage. Everything was dusty, but looked like it was
ready to go to work at the pull of a crank. We kids played on those things, and I swore that
someday I'd have one just like that. A major part of my interest ISthat whole time capsule
thing, and I use and drive my truck like it is just a truck, ... not some cute novelty, to be dragged
out to car shows and parades. Something to make people do a hard double take, because for
a brief moment, 1934 just appeared and then trundled on down the road with a load of lumber
hay. I will let the paint get ratty and the patina of use and age to wear on it to a point it looks
like that old truck in Mrs. Miller's barn.

IMG_1319.JPG

RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:29 pm

Sam, I’m putting together a 24 Touring that I’m making look like it was a complete car put away during WW2. My starting point was an incredibly well-preserved original paint body, with a thoroughly exhausted drive train. But nearly everything else was gone. So my car is a re-creation. I believe it’s a good one, and I’m pretty sure it was put away at the end of the war, but it’s a re-creation.

Your TT is the real deal....and just spectacular in so many ways. I could spend months or years just geeking out on its details.

Please keeps us updated with photos and info. I’m into all kinds of antique preservation and sympathetic restoration and might be able to offer advice as you go along.
1924 Touring

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510

Post by Thorlick » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:30 pm

Dick, I really like rough looking old trucks like that. Then I saw the painted door on that.... hey I lived in Webster Groves in 1976-1977! Terrie and I had just married and I was still in Dental school down the road. I didn’t see any old cars there then. I didn’t even see anywhere one could be hiding! I am amazed that this truck was hiding there, in fact I can’t remember even seeing any barns there!

Thanks for sharing this find!

Terry
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:38 pm

The stooges would have had an old boxing glove in place of the cotton glove. Great truck, and they are only original once.

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:41 pm

Brother Tom Strickling has a very nice original TT Not many around, fer sure

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:14 pm

Thorlick wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:30 pm
Dick, I really like rough looking old trucks like that. Then I saw the painted door on that.... hey I lived in Webster Groves in 1976-1977! Terrie and I had just married and I was still in Dental school down the road. I didn’t see any old cars there then. I didn’t even see anywhere one could be hiding! I am amazed that this truck was hiding there, in fact I can’t remember even seeing any barns there!
Terry, Sam is really the one who shared the truck here on the forum, I just posted the pictures for him. My parents and I moved into the Webster Groves School District in 1949 (though we were in Warson Woods). The truck was in Rock Hill, but it's very possible that Rock Hill was not yet a separate city in 1921 (hence the "Webster Groves" on the door).

Where did you live in Webster? I lived in Holland in 1976 but Anja and I moved back to the St. Louis area in 1977. There were a number of active old car clubs in the area then, including the Model T Ford Club of Greater St. Louis (an MTFCA chapter that is older than the MTFCA itself!).

Topic author
SamInStL

Post by SamInStL » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:27 am

For a host of personal reasons not related to the vehicle I have decided not to buy it and would like to see it go to a loving, respectful home. I am not backing away because of anything related to the truck. I'd love to have it but.........I want to emphasize that this is a TRUE barn find pretty much untouched since the original owner parked it in dry storage during 1939. The body is solid and the mechanicals are all present. When I told the owner I was no longer going to buy it she immediately put it on an auction site with the clock ticking. If any one of you win the bid members of the St. Louis chapter will help you open the tomb and get it on your trailer.

https://schmidauction.hibid.com/lots/?q=Model+t

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm

There you go Don! Just replace your F truck. I hope you win it. I like the way you have been working on your tourer. With such a rare opportunity, your experience will be invaluable.

Allan from down under.

PeterN
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Nikolajevs
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1927 Tudor Sedan
MTFCA Number: 393

Post by PeterN » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:22 pm

Very cool. There’s a video linked from the auction. I’ve pasted it below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ0G4sD ... e=youtu.be
Peter N

Junk poor
First Name: D
Last Name: Brown

Post by Junk poor » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:26 pm

Sold for $4125

RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:31 pm

I was bidding on it.

A bit too rich for my current situation. The CINC vetoed anything over $3500.

I hope it went to someone who will treat it with respect.
1924 Touring

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464

Post by Susanne » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:59 pm

I really liked the woodwork on it, but there was no way I could get a trailer, transport it here, etc... especially in these Covidian Times... Someone has a beauty of a body for $4K, plus a truck chassis. Hope they do it right.

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:46 pm

Do we know who bought it? Is it anyone here on the forum?

Junk poor
First Name: D
Last Name: Brown

Post by Junk poor » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:19 pm

Just bumping this to the top.
Does anyone happen to know where this went, or who ended up with it?

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:48 pm

Now that TT Ford Truck a genuine barn find! Sure hope it remains that way and gets cleaned up and running like it is. Original finds like it that haven’t been outside for years are getting more scarce as time goes by.

Topic author
SamInStL

Post by SamInStL » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:23 am

The Granddaughter of the original owner enlisted an auction Co to handle the sale and the bidding immediately went past my comfort level. It sold to a man from southern Missouri who has a huge tool collection that he displays throughout the region. Although I don't know what he's done with it, I sure hope he maintains its' originality, especially that homemade "Glove on a board" left turn signal.
Barn Finds are getting less and less common and this one was virtually untouched since 1939--the huge tree that had grown up in front of the garage door was proof.

Dan Haynes
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by Dan Haynes » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:42 pm

What a camper rig that would make.
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic