My square tank holds 9.6 gallons

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

My square tank holds 9.6 gallons

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:17 pm

On my way back from the NAPA today my Coupe started sputtering. Fortunately I was only a block and a half fron my ethonal free station. Wiggling the body side to side just barely got me there. The stick showed it bone dry. I filled it clear to the top of the hole with 9.6 gal. As the tank is a few degrees from level on top there may be some space at the back but not anywhere near another .10th of a gallon.
P.S. Napa didn't have '32-'48 fuel line nuts and not even a listing for them. I will make some more. I had the Ford number and thread size but no. Before NAPA took them over I could buy model A plugs and points there. I never tried T plugs.
I knew the square tank didn't hold ten gallons but until now I didn't know how much.
When did I do that?

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: My square tank holds 9.6 gallons

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:51 pm

Not favorable for the pump to be wrong in your case. Several years ago kelly and I were on the Harley in Tin-O-C. I stopped for gas as it was low but not on reserve yet. I put 5.4 gallons in a 5 gallon tank with reserve still off.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:14 pm

We trust the delivered gallons as read at the pump. After all, they have to be certified regularly by the state bureau of weights and measures. I noticed once that the interval between certifications can be fairly lengthy. I'd hope that we can feel assured we're not being short changed at the pump.

Coincidentally, the "ten gallon" round tank in my '13 runabout cannot be persuaded to hold more than 9.6 gallons either. Perhaps the volumes were calculated from outside dimensions ?

Rich, I'm glad you made it to the pump, especially since "Cuthbert" wasn't there to give you a push if you had needed one !
:lol: :lol:
"Get a horse !"

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:32 pm

One can always question the accuracy of pump certifications when you put gas in your uncertified gas tank. Don't forget about the gas left in the hose from the previous user and what you left when you stopped pumping. :lol:
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:07 am

Worth considering, pump tally of the quantity delivered rounds the amount in tenths of a gallon, or 12.8 ounces. That's just 3.2 ounces shy of a pint, not an inconsequential amount - an extra tenth would have gotten Rich E. to the station without his coupe sputtering methinks.

How much gasoline is in them hoses anyhow ?!? :shock:
"Get a horse !"

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:25 pm

As my mind fails me I shall probably be running out of gas more in the future. I'll have to remember to take notes each time and then take an average. :lol: :lol:
When did I do that?

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:02 pm

I know one time I got cheated by a gasoline station! The old Ford pickup I drove for work for seventeen years, I knew quite well. A couple times I pulled into stations on empty, even to the point of hearing the first flow from the hose splashing onto the dry bottom of the tank. It held seventeen gallons, almost exactly. One day I pulled into a station I used occasionally, Had more than a gallon left inside I know. Took eighteen and a half gallons to fill it. No way no how more than eighteen gallons could go into a seventeen gallon tank! I did turn in a complaint to Califunny weights and measures. Never heard back from them.
I didn't use that station much after that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic