Specialty Motor Cams

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Specialty Motor Cams

Post by ModelTWoods » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:27 am

Does anyone know for sure whether currently made T cams made by Specialty Motor Cams are made with 0 degrees advance (like original), or 7.5 degrees advance built in (like the new ones Chaffins makes)? I have emailed and called Specialty Motor Cams last week and this week, and I got no reply from the email. The person I spoke to on the phone didn't know, and said that Bill had sold the business to his son, and they'd try to find out and let me know. I'm still waiting to hear. I think that I may just go ahead and order a Chaffin's. I have one of Bill's early production .280 cams with a 7.5 advance timing gear, so I know the originals were not cut with an automatic advance.

bnchief
First Name: Steven
Last Name: White
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 73
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Specialty Motor Cams

Post by bnchief » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:16 am

Bills are zero advance you can buy an adjustable timing gear from him set the degree of advance you want.

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:24 pm

I've been trading messages with Bill on Facebook, and if I am interpreting his messages correctly, he seems to be "shooting down" any notions that a cam from Specialty Motor Cams, even needs to, or benefits from, any degree of advance. Ever since Tim Foy started making 7.5 degree advance nylon timing gears and preaching their benefit, I have thought it was accepted that T's ran better with the 7.5 degree advance. I'm confused. Now, after communicating with Bill, I understand that due to the timing built into the cam, the cam needs no further advancement, and a .290 cam is advanced even more than a .280.

Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:31 pm

For what it's worth, with my experience in engine building, the best thing to do first is ask the cam manufacture what they recommend. Have you called Specialty Motor Company? They are very helpful I have found recently myself. It's my understanding Bill is retired from the business.

Second thing, for as little effort as it takes to swap gears, or better yet use the Specialty Motors adjustable gear, play with the timing and see what you feel works. Everyone likes something different in the way their car drives, more importantly, every engine (even identical built ones) react differently to changes.

Third, if you really want to go nuts, degree the cam in and see where you really are on the cam centerlines, but I understand this is a little too much for most people.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:08 pm

RE: "For what it's worth, with my experience in engine building, the best thing to do first is ask the cam manufacture what they recommend. Have you called Specialty Motor Company? They are very helpful I have found recently myself. It's my understanding Bill is retired from the business. "
I think that was covered in both his post.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic