Best Gasket for a Z Head?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
oldtymer
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Adams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster Pickup, 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51187
Board Member Since: 2020

Best Gasket for a Z Head?

Post by oldtymer » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Brand-new first-time T owner, but long time Flathead ('53) truck owner. Compression check on my 1924 engine with a Z head shows only 25 PSI in the front two cylinders and 62 PSI in the rear. Engine was rebuilt recently by the previous owner so I assume my problem is a blown head gasket. The other problem is no one seems to have any copper head gaskets in stock. Will a steel gasket work OK with the aluminum head? Do you spray copper sealant on a steel gasket?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Best Gasket for a Z Head?

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:24 pm

Before pulling the head I would check the valve gap. While it could be blown gasket, it could also be the gaps are not correct or miss adjusted and valves are not fully closing. How much has it been run and has the head been retorqued several times after running and cooling down? Do one step at a time, easy ones. First check head nut torque cold(45-50 FPs) then valves gaps before pulling the head. I would stick with the copper head gasket, they are out there and will take a little more searching. If you want to go with the composite type, stay away from the ones with the silicon beads, most folks have not had good luck with them.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:46 pm

All four cylinders should read about 100 psi with a Z head.

That engine must be too tired for the extra compression.

My rebuilt engine read 75 psi with just domed pistons.

Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Post by Bruce Compton » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:30 pm

I'm really wondering about the 100 psi expected with a Z head. I would expect more like 60-65 even on a fresh motor with the test being done at starter cranking speed on a warm motor with the throttle wide open and no extra oil added to the cylinder. Or.....(Maybe I need a new compression gauge).

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Post by John.Zibell » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:20 am

Bruce Compton wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:30 pm
I'm really wondering about the 100 psi expected with a Z head. I would expect more like 60-65 even on a fresh motor with the test being done at starter cranking speed on a warm motor with the throttle wide open and no extra oil added to the cylinder. Or.....(Maybe I need a new compression gauge).
Agree Bruce. Atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 14.5. The Z head claims 6 to 1 compression so maximum would be 87 psi. On my engine with a Z head I get 75 psi on all 4. Also the gasket that Adam sells should work if yours has failed. https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=14933
1926 Tudor

Topic author
oldtymer
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Adams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster Pickup, 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51187
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by oldtymer » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks for all the information. Well, finished the tear-down this morning and found the engine does have a blown (piece missing) copper head gasket between cylinders one and two and also looks like traces of a water jacket leak at the forward passage. Torque was low on several bolts. The pistons are .060 over, domed type. Engine was recently rebuilt by the previous owner as there was hardly had any carbon build up yet. The pistons in two cylinders that have been running cold even appear clean and shiny. Valves look great, very tight, clearances still at .015. Sent Adam an email hoping to find suitable gasket so I can see how it runs on all four cylinders!

Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Post by Bruce Compton » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:39 pm

I had a very similar problem with blowing head gaskets with a Z head. There is really not much material between the cylinders in a few places and even less material in the casting of the Z head in the same places ( less that 3/32"), and that's where the gasket lets go. After replacing three head gaskets, a race engine builder friend came up with a way to deal with the problem. He suggested I apply regular solder (using a soldering iron, not a torch) along the folded over edge of the fire ring on the copper head gasket, just enough to seal the gap (not a big lump) and explained that it would crush as the head was torqued down to provide a more secure seal between the cylinders. That was three years ago and I've had no problems since. Hope this helps.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:39 pm

Doug

Your engine should be just fine now with a new head gasket. My '27 is .060 and ran a Z head, no issues, but got a Prus head and put that on, with a new gasket and runs super.

Just a note on gasket install, all the other postings are correct on having the bolt holes clean, etc. Use Copper Coat or equiv. heavy metallic content Alum spray paint and coat the gasket. Fit the gasket with #4 and #1 @ TDC, to be sure the gasket is aligned.

Then run down the head bolts. Finally do the torque sequence shown, very important to torque first all the center bolts, as that is where the cylinder walls and the gasket is thinnest. Doing the squish there first is necessary, then go outboard and finish at the ends of the cylinder head.

IMG_2510 (1280x960) (530x398).jpg
IMG_2510 (1280x960) (530x398).jpg (105.58 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
IMG_5175.JPG

Between the cylinders in the center is where most times the gasket goes.
569263.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic