Preserved Model T Fire Engine - New Zealand

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Preserved Model T Fire Engine - New Zealand

Post by A Whiteman » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:08 pm

Sorting my grandfather's slide collection I found the picture below. It seems he had a bit of a focus issue! but the picture of this nice shiny 'vintage' car caught my eye for its background content.

Sitting proudly in the back is a T fire engine with solid rear wheels. This may have been a conversion kit to a car?

The picture was taken somewhere between 1956-61 based on the brown/red and white plates. The plates look rather 'new' so it may be closer to 56 than 61.

Back then plates were issued for 5 year periods and changed by colour and layout each issue.

The location is Upper Hutt city at "Memorial Park" in Trentham.

I have no idea where the cars have gone to now or where the engine resides, but it is a reasonable guess it is still tucked away "somewhere".
Old Cars (1).jpg
T Engine (Large).jpg

And if you are interested in a bit of history:
PA_NZEA_GI1.jpg

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Preserved Model T Fire Engine - New Zealand

Post by Allan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:41 pm

Adrian, going solely on the forward position of the front running board bracket, I would say that one is a TT . The front bracket on a car chassis is some 10" or so back from the mudguard mounting.

Allan from down under.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:03 am

And the wheelbase is so very long.
Neat pics Adrian.
Neat TT!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Roverdriver
First Name: Dane
Last Name: Hawley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Nil

Post by Roverdriver » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:19 am

I believe that Len Southward had a TT fire engine.
I do know that several fire appliances that were housed in Wanganui, including the Tilling Stephens Fire Escape were items placed in his collection too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic