Even the Experienced Make Bad Decisions

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Even the Experienced Make Bad Decisions

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:50 pm

So this does not happen to others. Everyone is just fine, just a little pride dented.

Was showing Rick how well his new TT runs and operates and coming down a hill the accessory Rocky Mountain 6 Speed Transmission jumped out of gear and would not go back in. New emergency brakes with linings would not hold back as they were not seated in fully. A Real Run Away! Rick in the driver seat, me in the passenger, Rick yelling.., "What Should I Do"!.., me.., "Hang on and let me steer"! Aimed dead on to a pine tree thicket. Looks bad but really is not. Was able to steer it right into the trees and knock out the energy with a couple of three inch trees. Already have all the parts in the works so it will be back up and going in no time.

PLEASE FOLKS, NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE ANY T WITH AN ACCESSORY TRANSMISSION AND A NEUTRAL! ACCESSORY BRAKES ARE A MUST!!!!!!

I AM POSTING THIS AS A REMINDER AND MY MISJUDGMENT! No one was hurt.., Thank God!

IMG_4738.jpeg
IMG_4739.jpeg
IMG_4740.jpeg
IMG_4741.jpeg
IMG_4742.jpeg

Only the fenders, running boards and mounts, a little hole in the radiator, drag link and wish bone damaged. Not bad for a 35 mph impact.

Humble Hank with soiled under pants in Tin-A-See

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Even the Experienced Make Bad Decisions

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Pretty quick thinkn' I'd say! .....'specially fer' an ol' guy!

Seriously, I'd say it's very admirable to make an incident like that an excellent object lesson and "wake-up call"for all of us as to how quick and innocently something like that can happen! And I'd also say that a lot of good can come out of posting something like this, and one other good thing (besides, thank God nobody got hurt due to your quick thinking and action) but those beautiful purple amethyst headlight lenses didn't even get a crack! 😀 Thanks so much for posting, and if "a picture is worth a thousand words",....well,....you just wrote a book! We'll never know how many similar incidents you might have just prevented,....thanks,....harold

havnfun
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Kowalczyk
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 Speedster, 1913 Runabout, 1923 Roadster, 1912 Mother-in-law roadster
MTFCA Number: 49558
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by havnfun » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:34 pm

Hank,

Thanks for posting and explaining everything, lots of newer owners/drivers DO NOT understand getting caught in Neutral and losing control.

Thank God no one was hurt other then feelings and some material metal that can be repaired.
Regards,
Joe Kowalczyk - 1923 Roadster, 1913 Runabout, 1918 Speedster, 1912 Mother-in-law roadster

dhosh
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Hoshield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 RPU (Raodster converted to Pickup)
MTFCA Number: 24305
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by dhosh » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:12 pm

Thank you, sir!

Experience and learn by example at it's best!
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:57 am

This was good thinking. It CAN happen.
That T will live again!
Main reason I won't run my TT down this hill until he has brakes, just in case the Warford comes out of gear.
No brakes what so ever on the axle, sooo....
The others have and are tested every time down.
Sure isn't the end of the world tho.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:45 am

Glad you guys made out ok. A heads up for all of us. These T's must have Indy car engineering built into them the way they come apart in an accident. Quick thinking and experience prevailed in this one.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:59 pm

You sure have a good attitude about it. I think I would be a little more upset than you at the amount of damage, but it definitely could have been worse. With 20/20 hindsight and time to think, what would you do different, to stop the car? We should discuss emergency procedures to enact in case of situations like this. Jim Patrick

Topic author
Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:50 pm

What part of my emergency procedures did you not understand? Very simple.., do not panic, have a plan prior to the event. 20 plus years in the military and being raised by stern parents got me through this! It is nothing more than metal that is repairable or replaceable. The human body is not so well as we age. Have a triple back up plan..., period! I am using my misjudgment as an example, as I was prepared but my driver was not, took control of a bad situation and we are here to tell the tale for others. Really to late to talk 20/20 hind sight.

Humble Hank still licking wounds (Sore muscles)

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:13 pm

Sorry to upset you by suggesting we discuss it a little further. I just thought it might be a helpful learning experience to discus other ways this could have been handled, in case you were speeding toward traffic, a busy intersection, a wall, a building, or a cliff, instead of having a convenient forest of saplings to plow into to stop the car. I, too spent several years in the military and had good parents who raised me, but I don’t see how that helps to prepare one for something like this. You may call having a stand of small trees to stop you, a “procedure” but I call it luck and I don’t see how your “emergency procedure“ can be a learning experience for the rest of us, without more discussion on how to stop under different circumstances. Thanks anyway for the pictures. I hate that that happened to your T, but am glad you are okay. Jim Patrick.

Scott C.
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Clements
MTFCA Number: 49592

Post by Scott C. » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:25 pm

Gee Hank! I am glad you guys are OK! I had a close call yesterday in my coupe. Both of these situations could have turned out much worse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPjnhqmeIYo

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:49 pm

My close encounter with roadside vegetation was due to going too fast on a muddy road and being misdirected by sand washed across the road, but it was a similar result, although less serious. My only damage was a busted top socket and I was able to drive away. Running off the road unexpectedly is always disappointing, whatever the reason.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:57 pm

Hank

Same here, glad you and friend are OK, and your quick action to find a place to land, anything to slow the decent before a hard surface!
Good work. As you noted, just metal, no bones broke!

Had my run-away experience back in May 2012, just rebuilt the 1919 and went for a spin to adj. free neutral some more.

Made 2 loops around the 'hood and just coming into the driveway, a muffled bang/pop sound, from the tranny?..but motor was running, low pedal not slowing the T driving into my driveway with the house dead ahead...whoa....no brake either.

Shut off the motor by switching off the key and sought out steering to a soft landing spot :-(

Spied the grass to the left of the house to roll to a stop, missing the house and having enough of soft grass and dirt to slow the T to a rolling stop.

Of all things, the emergency rods were disconnected! As I was adjusting for free neutral, and the clevis were off for setting after free neutral. Normally that is done on jack stands, but that day decided to run without emergency brakes.....bad idea :shock:

Oh me. Lucky. At least was returning home into my downhill driveway when it happened. Any other place on the road at higher speed would have been more scary! (Investigated cause was spun loose pinion gear on the driveshaft, putting the transmission brake and low pedal out of commission.

Moral for me, don't leave home without emergency brakes hooked up and working.

tracks in grass.jpg
tracks in grass.jpg (123.02 KiB) Viewed 6530 times
Tracks in the grass at the side of the house where the T finally rolled to a stop on its own.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:05 pm

I just tuned in here. Wow! Glad you guys are fine.
My dad always used to say that if things went bad, and you had to hit something? Hit something cheap! (And preferably soft?) It may sound flippant? But it really is good advice.
Almost any time I drive, from when I was driving my grandfather's tractors on the ranch? To this very day? I consider my surroundings, and ask myself "what should I do if XX happened now?" I consider things falling off of trucks ahead of me. I think about a tree falling over. Consider some other car shooting across the lanes out of control. I ask myself "what if?" That has saved me several times. Because I have had most of those things happen a few times over the years. I did have to dodge a bicycle that fell off the back of a van that had just passed me (ever wonder how a bicycle would bounce at 70 mph? Like a football, this way that way another way and back again!). I did need to swerve around a load of lumber that slid off a truck. I have managed to avoid several out of control cars from odd directions. I always look for my "out" in case it may become needed. And when the brakes on my modern pickup blew out as a light turned red? I knew my out. No harm. No foul.
Can situations arise where there is no true out? Yes. And Hank and my dad have given good advice. Hit something soft and cheap. Cars can be fixed.
Now go out there and plan ahead!

Topic author
Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:05 pm

Jim..., I spoke in hast, excuse me.

I understand now where your concern comes from and I highly agree. Emergency practices should be thought out prior to any event, What would happen if.....!

Way too many scenarios but keeping a Model T as straight as possible at higher speeds due to a heavy center of mass in motion and only making as slow as possible transitions into a ditch, guard rail (rubbing it), small trees, brush etc is a key in surviving with minimal injuries. You do not what to make quick evasive actions due to the single leaf spring system. Not our friend here. Roll overs are not good in any T as there really is no provisions for the lower weight grossly moving quickly to the top section. Most of you in the mid west with ditches everywhere on country roads would be best to strike head on single sign post and side reflective markers. Remember these bend down real good and absorb energy quickly, it is part of their design to do this. Very little damage to the car, just move your head as some sign's message boards may bounce due to faulty or old attachment. Just ideas.., things happen quickly and most important.., our old cars are old and have hidden health problems like the owners whom operate them.

Humble Hank

Rick_Rice
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Rice
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 TT Closed Cab Express
MTFCA Number: 50121

Post by Rick_Rice » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi Folks,
I feel like I need to jump in here. I, my wife Tammi and our dog Ella were blessed to arrive back home a bit ago from a very pleasant and relaxing day. We dropped by Hank's house today to drop off some piece-parts to aide in the repairs of my TT. We both had a very nice visit with Hank and Pat and we again thank you for all of your hospitality and for the awesome green peppers you cut fresh for Tammi right out of the garden. Times like we had today with good friends are what is important.
Regarding Jim's comments and questions, I must respond in order:

DAMAGED VEHICLE:
Yes, it is always disappointing to anyone to have one of your toys get torn up, but Jim, you just don't get it. We freaking walked away and nobody got hurt! In short and to keep things real, it's just rusty old metal. That said, it will certainly live again soon and going forward I will have a bit more appreciation and respect for the old slammer.

20-20 HINDSIGHT, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY:
The answer is a resounding NOTHING! Jim, there was only one option and Hank took it. When you're driving slowly and carefully down a steep grade and the auxiliary transmission jumps out of gear, the vehicle instantly starts picking up speed and you very quickly discover (maybe 2 seconds?) you have ZERO stopping ability. Believe me brother when I say it, you are on a high speed roller coaster that is out of control and it won't stop. I was in unfamiliar territory, free wheeling down a steep grade, trying to stay on a narrow country road, all the while pushing the brake pedal through the floor-board and not understanding why we were going faster and faster. Thank God Hank remained quietly-calm and literally grabbed the wheel and steered the truck off of the road and directly into a grove of young white pine trees. Next time you're going down a grade, you picture yourself calmly steering your vehicle off of the road and intentionally crashing into the trees. I reflected much about it last night and re-played the whole experience in head many times. The man has BALLS!

PLANNING OUT EMERGENCY PROCEDURES TO ENACT IN CASE OF SITUATIONS LIKE THIS:
The word is very simple. Prevention. Jim, Hank's purpose for posting our experience was not so he could run his lips publicly about this mishap. He humbled himself publicly out of his sense of service to the other folks in our T-Community. It was in an
effort to share several decades of training and experience to help educate folks to hopefully help someone else from getting injured or killed. If you didn't catch it the first time, I will repeat Hank's statement. If you are utilizing an accessory (auxiliary) transmission in a T, ACCESSORY BRAKES ARE A MUST!!!!!! I must say, I am now a believer.

Finally and on a very positive note, I want to publically thank Hank for all that he has taught, done and continues to do for me. It is difficult to put into words Hanks' incredibly high level of "old school" personal integrity and sincere service to community. I am proud to call Hank Lee my friend!

Kind Regards,

Rick

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Post by John.Zibell » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Hank, glad everyone is OK. Straightening that sheet metal will be a good learning experience for your apprentices.
1926 Tudor

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:37 pm

I am so glad everyone is OK. Hank definitely kept his cool... I am also glad that I installed rear disc brakes over the winter.... my wake-up call came on a steep hill on last year's covered bridge tour. Live and learn - maybe it should be "learn and live..."

Thanks to all for sharing
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:31 pm

I apologize for ruffling any feathers. After re-reading the post, I can understand the indignation at the misunderstanding that I was suggesting something else better, could have been done. Far from it! I applaud your quick thinking, resourcefulness, and courage. As a former Marine, myself, I can now see where your military training came into play, as you were considering your options, just as in battle and hoping to come out of it alive.

Twenty years ago in a heavy rain, my truck began to hydroplane. Neither the brake nor the steering worked as the truck began to spin out of control toward oncoming traffic. Resigned to whatever plan the man upstairs had for me, all I could do was hang on and enjoy the ride. Still spinning, the truck flipped on its’ left side, hit the curb of the grassy median, took out a sign, flipped upright and stopped in the middle of the median. Except for a small cut on my left arm from the shattered drivers window, I was totally unhurt. It could have been so much worse. Had someone said to me then, “With 20/20 hindsight and time to think about it, what would you have done different”? Just as you, I would say, “nothing”. I did all I could at the time and could have done nothing different, because nothing, other than what I did would have made any difference to the outcome. It was out of my hands and no amount of discussion would change that.

Again, I commend you. Jim Patrick
Last edited by jiminbartow on Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larry
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Gresh
MTFCI Number: 15762

Post by Larry » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:04 am

Very glad the two of you are ok and no was hurt.

My wife and I had a similar experience 25 years ago.
We were leaving the 4th of July fireworks at the Monroeville Mall in Monroeville Pa. with our four children in the back seat of a 23 touring we owned at the time.
We headed out of the mall complex and up a long steep hill at a good clip, when the green light at the top Of the hill turned yellow. I knew that I could not make it through the light before it turned red and quickly down shifted.
The down shift was not successful and the rear was stuck in neutral.
The car rolled forward and then started rolling backwards down the hill. It was nearly impossible to steer the car as it wanted to over steer as it picked up speed. There was a sudden impact with something behind us and we came to a stop. I checked to make sure my wife and kids were all ok then jumped out of the car to see what we hit.
I found the back end of the model T sitting up on the hood of a brand new Camaro. It was dark out but I could see that the front end and hood of the Camaro were quite dented and the driver’s side headlight was broken. By this time the guy who was in the Camaro was out and asking if we were all ok. I offered him my insurance card but he said he didn’t want it. He was in a hurry and just wanted to go. We pushed the T off the hood of the Camaro and that guy was gone before I knew it.
I often think about how life changing that night could have been and very thankful to the Lord no one was hurt.

(Lesson learned) Always physically inspect the T and TT rear axle assemblies Never take anyone’s word for it that it has been rebuilt. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been told that only to find otherwise.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686

Post by Novice » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:25 am

Rick glad You and Hank are ok. like pilots say any crash You can walk away from is not that bad. Rick's TT photo
Attachments
20180429_123655-800x600 Rick Rice 90x90 tt avtar photo-90x90 rick 90X90 TT truck.jpg
20180429_123655-800x600 Rick Rice 90x90 tt avtar photo-90x90 rick 90X90 TT truck.jpg (3.02 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:07 am

Thirty years ago I had a 1920 T that had original equipment and no modifications. Read no lined emergency brakes. We decided to go for a quick drive on a Sunday afternoon. Our house was on a slight incline and leaving the driveway going up the incline I noticed that the T was jerking as I drove and decided that something was wrong and we better turn around before we get caught further away from home. As I approached the decline I applied the brake and quickly noticed that there was no reaction to the speed. I was going slow at the time and thought about my wife sitting where if I wanted to exit, she would have to move. I said,"jump out now". She didn't which forced me to think quickly. I decided to rub the curb and damage the tires if nothing else. I managed to slow the T to the point I could round the turn into my street and quickly into my driveway which went up a slight incline. We jumped out and put a stone under the wheel.
Now the rest of the story. The cause of the problem was a broken drive shaft. The break was under the pressed on race that the bearing rides on at the rear of the drive shaft. The reason I felt the initial jerking was because the race kept the shaft from separating completely. When I applied the brakes the shaft separated enough so the transmission brake through the drive shaft to the rear end did not function. I was lucky. I replaced the drive shaft and put cast iron lined brake shoes on the emergency brake. I have no idea why the shaft broke and why it broke at probably the strongest part under the pressed on race. Dick C.

dykker5502
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Deichmann
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1921 Roadster P/U, 1922 Fordor (danish custom body)
MTFCA Number: 29116
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by dykker5502 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:09 am

Years back, when I had rebuild the engine in my 1922 Fordor it was so tight, that we decided to pull it.
We managed to get it up from the basement and on the road and away we drove. Fairly quickly it fired right up, and then I signalled to the driver in the pulling vehicle just to realise that I had not yet adjusted the bands in the gearbox!!! At least not the brakeband!
I costed me 2 bended frontwingtips and a bended rod between the streering wheels.
The puling vehicle was an old VW Van so you couldn't really see the scrathes and dents :-)
Ford Model T 1914 Touring
Ford Model T 1921 Roadster Pick-up
Ford Model T 1922 Fordor (danish build body)
ECCT, Strobospark, HCCT(Sold), Rebuilding coils

Topic author
Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:23 am

I am for one Thankful that everyone is sharing their experiences in the "Oh Crap" factors! We are all here to tell the tales for others to learn from. I am no hero, I leave those in the military where they really are in my humble ways and believes. I just took control of a situation and it was a good decision to tell the tale. We all learn from others, no one did it on their own, someone paved the roads we walk on. Old saying.., "We walk in the foot steps of giants".

I salute you All for sharing, Thank You, and God Bless!

Humble Hank

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:27 am

wow....hate to see a T banged up like that, but glad yall are ok.

One way to look at it is....if these cars were all sitting in musuems and never getting used, they'd never be in wrecks. And that would be more tragic than one occassionally having a crack-up

If the passengers come out unharmed and the T is repairable, then all is well.

And...it looks like that radiator apron is dinged up. You don't want that banged up thing on that nice T. Better send it to me! ;) ;)
1924 Touring

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:31 pm

This could have been much worse. Any one that has been to Hank’s place knows that this could have gone down hill fast.
Sorry Hank had to throw that in. But it really could have, he lives on one nice bluff overlooking the TN river. His road has some high drop offs on one side of the road.
Good job on keeping something bad from happening. Dan.

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:32 pm

I have a hard enough time getting to his driveway in my 4WD modern truck. :shock:
Glad to hear all ok!

Topic author
Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 pm

Most can't believe metal being twisted so bad can be brought back like new and even stronger by an air hammer. Here is a days work with two bad teeth (crowns going bad), OUCH!

IMG_4755.jpeg
IMG_4754.jpeg
IMG_4756.jpeg
IMG_4757.jpeg
IMG_4758.jpeg

Topic author
Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:13 pm

IMG_4762.jpeg
IMG_4764.jpeg
IMG_4765.jpeg
IMG_4761.jpeg
IMG_4769.jpeg

Topic author
Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:15 pm

IMG_4770.jpeg

All the general rules are in this book. A wealth of information, been using and teaching from them for over 45 years.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

KLTagert
First Name: Kathy
Last Name: Tagert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Runabout, 1918 Coupelet, ‘21 Centerdoor, ‘22 coupes, ‘23 Roadster and touring, ‘25 roadster pickup, Fordor, and coupe, ‘26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32467
MTFCI Number: 24412
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by KLTagert » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:50 pm

So glad you both walked away from the accident.
Good assessment and reaction.

Thanks for posting - makes us think proactively.

Kathy T

kevinf
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Fielding

Post by kevinf » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:29 pm

Hank,
Glad to hear all is well. Those fenders just have "character" for the next generation.
I had a similar experience with Thelma Tae, i had just gotten her on the road after a very prolonged sleep. I was quickly approaching a "T" intersection when as I began to throttle down the Universal transmission jumped out of gear. I had to act real fast and the thought of heading across two lanes of traffic and into the barrow pit did not appeal to me. I quickly check both directions and made the decision to make a quick right turn. I am sure that truck had never turned so fast, but luckily I had just gotten done rebuilding the wheels and everything held up. After the turn I pulled over wishing I had a change of drawers and then headed home. Oh and the moral to my story, don't take a test drive with out rebuilding and reinstalling the Bennett brakes.
Thanks for what you are doing with the boys, I am sure they will include this incident as a most valuable lesson.
All the best,
Kevin
Attachments
100_1128.jpg

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:05 pm

Hank,

I'm very glad the two of you are and fine and no one was hurt. Always interesting hearing from you. Take care.
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:37 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-BFB-The ... SwYIJd9N5i
Cheapest copy on ebay at the moment.
WOW,that poor truck!
Glad you are all ok.
BUT help me understand,how did it yank the wishbone out of the oil pan and not damage the ball socket?Or is the oil pan 1 of the parts that will be replaced?
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Post by tdump » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:42 pm

free download of the book,After seeing what was done to those fender,I wanted to see that book!
https://inba.info/download/574c2a12b6d87f3e478b54db

Topic author
Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:19 pm

I always use an APCO radius ball cap! Beautiful breakaway system and keeps perfect tension as needed. Also use them on the center link.

No damage at all to the oil pan, the front broken leaf spring did the skidding. No damage either to the front cross member.

The key to straightening bent/twisted metal is to reverse the damage as it happened. That book will explain it.

Hank

tdump

Post by tdump » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:22 pm

I have accidently been doing something right as I have 1 of those on all my T's and project T's.Um.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:39 pm

They also made APCO joints in various sizes that I not only have on my radius rod ball joint, but also have on all the ball joints on the steering linkages, as well. With an adjustable ball cap that maintains pressure on the ball, they are great in keeping the joints from becoming loose and sloppy. This makes the car safer as tight joints decrease the amount of slop in the steering system and increase the response from the steering wheel to the wheels. Jim Patrick

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981

Post by Quickm007 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Agree with Jim and Hank, Excellent safety accessory!
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Glad everyone got out OK. That is the biggest thing!
Walt Rosenthal, who always advocated accessory brakes and was a big booster of them, died this way, in a car that did not have them.
Things could have been MUCH worse.

Topic author
Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:17 pm

And six days later..., Ready to go home.., again!

Locked the AUX transmission in low. I think Earl Shribes, Maaco, and Peach Auto Painting would be proud of that 95 year old paint match!

IMG_4789.jpeg
IMG_4790.jpeg

Hank

Dropacent
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:19 pm

$19.95...... no ups, no extras !

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686

EARL SCHEIB

Post by Novice » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:17 pm

LOOKS GREAT! Like the old Timex commercial "Takes a Licken and keeps on Ticking" or Trucking. Paint looks good. Haven't heard the name Earl Scheib in years. They were in Houston back in the sixties. Paint jobs were $29.95. Google. Earl Scheib interesting story. started painting cars after hours in a garage He owned in the late 1920s and company went world wide. their base paint job is now $399.00

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:28 pm

Terrific recovery, Hank. Not only your save on the original incident, but also on getting the car back on the road. I especially like your action of locking the aux transimission in low.

My Dad had just completed restoration of a 1932 Pierce Arrow when he died of a heart attack. Mom elected to keep the car and wanted to be sure his fellow PA Society members got to see it. In that vein, she asked my brother and me to drive the car to a national meet in Monterey, CA.

Monterey was only three hundred miles distant, but the drive included the steepest, longest grade for the entire length of hiway 101. Cuesta Grade is 7 miles of 7% grade. We went up the grade quite well, but I was dreading the trip home in the opposite direction. 5200 pounds of vintage iron with mechanical brakes and it rolled downhill like a cannonball.

When we reached the top of the grade, my brother was driving and I was copilot. Neil sensibly shifted up into second gear at the top and I put the heel of my hand against the shift lever. Neil glanced over at me with a look that said, "Scaredy cat!"

We coasted down the 7 miles at about 45 mph. Fast enough for me. As we neared the bottom, the grade shallowed out to about 3%. Neil looked over at me and said, "See, no problem."

The instant I took my hand off the shift lever, the transmission popped out of gear. Fortunately he had time to get the trans back into high and proceeded on our way. Neither of us said a word.

Dropacent
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:09 am

I had to check my memory, Jim. My brother sanded and masked his ‘65 mustang and actually got a pretty good paint job. Woh to those who let Earl do those two things. Earl would buy these weird colors by the 55 gallon drum. Lots of primary colors, off a bit from anything the factory’s used. I have memories of being able to pick out his paint jobs on used car lots. I’m guessing now he got some really great deals from the paint makers. Hard to believe today when a gallon of red is $1000
C9C074DD-A6C5-4563-81C8-DD8B6A966AFB.jpeg

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:35 pm

I'm glad everyone is OK and aren't you glad you had those two boys to teach you how to fix the truck! :roll:
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510

Post by Thorlick » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:38 pm

Ten Years ago I put together a Stag Tour and so I was the leader. Lee had his Coupe which he used to drive to high school (a few years ago). It has a Ruckstell.

On the way home I was doing about 40 mph down hill when Wham! In my mirror it looked like Lee was trying to get me to go faster. I started pumping my brakes which consisted of the service brake, Rocky Mountains and lined large drum parking brakes. In to the mix I used low then reverse when I got slow enough. Finally I got both cars slowed down enough that I was able to go across the road onto a gravelly patch on the opposite side.

Immediately after that patch the road got really steep down and twisty turney as it ran down a ridge in the forest.

Lee had broken off his shifter casting on the Ruckstell and was the second car in line on the tour. He had stock transmission brake and I think, unlined parking brake, no auxilliary brakes. He planted his T dead center on my pickup bed... so perfectly that he lost the radiator and headlights but NOT A SCRATCH on either fender and the hood popped off. Here we are ten years later and Lee Still thinks I saved his life (I didn't, it was all Rusty!).

Lee still hasn't repaired the Coupe, in fact he hasn't driven a T again! I agree with the sentiment that auxilliary brakes are essential. Without mine Lee and I would not have been able to stop before hitting the treacherous downhill stretch.

Rusty Meets the Coupe
Rusty Meets the Coupe
Lee Points out damage
Lee Points out damage
Rusty's tiny scratch
Rusty's tiny scratch
Coupe with headlights taped for towing home
Coupe with headlights taped for towing home
TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Topic author
Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:53 pm

BIG WOW Terry!!!!!

Could have been very bad too!

Hank

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Daaaang, Hank! Fantastic work...and in only a few days! No wonder you weren’t as upset as I would have been. You are a magician. LOL! Jim Patrick

Topic author
Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:07 pm

Thanks Jim.., I really hate to admit but it is a specialty in panel restoration and too boot, the two young men just finished an assignment I did for them on reversing damage on panels. They were comprehending every step perfectly. Talk about an opportunity..., accidents happen sometimes for a reasons beyond our understanding.

All the Best,

Hank

tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:33 pm

Is that the same radiator?
Amazing job!

Topic author
Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Yes Mack it is.., believe it or not.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:34 pm

Looks great Hank. Your talents are many.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic