Muffler Problem

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
GG Gregory
First Name: GG
Last Name: Gregory
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Roadster

Muffler Problem

Post by GG Gregory » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:00 am

I installed a new pressed Steel muffler on my 27 Roadster, the one piece design. I’ve noticed a ton of exhaust leaking all around each end of the muffler. Are there any venders who sell a better made muffler ? I’m sure a muffler shop can weld this one up tight but I figure that will cost as much or more than a new one.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Muffler Problem

Post by Humblej » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:10 am

Yup, that's what they do, and probably what they did back in the day. They are made to be taken apart and so are not welded. I eventually welded mine up only because it blew apart during a backfire.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:29 am

If the front pipe slides into the muffler which it should, might want to put a 180 slice and install a small muffler clamp. Works for me.

Hank

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:12 am

I disagree with Hank. The front pipe is made to move forward to back and rotate side to side with flexing of the chassis as you drive. If it is clamped, it can cause the front flange on the pipe to break at the manifold, or loosen the nut. Or it can cause the muffler to twist and come apart at the seams. It is better to put a few spot welds on the ends of the muffler and leave the pipe to move around in the front of the muffler. I don't think you would need to take it to a shop. Someone in the club or in your neighborhood most likely has a welder.
Norm

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:26 pm

I have to agree with Norm. I had my muffler clamped and it broke the hanger. Muffler and exhaust pipe were bouncing on the rear axle and the fuel line. Not a good combination. That is how I met Dallas and he helped me with the repair. When I got home I installed a new muffler and exhaust pipe that were not clamped together.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Before doing anything drastic, try shortening the inner shell a bit. If it is too long it will result in the outer shell not seating tightly on the ends. Then decide if a bit of soot around each end is really worth chasing.

When I make T mufflers, the centre pipe is expanded to accept the tailpipe. The front end then jams on the flare. This means these mufflers fit in the same way as the cast end mufflers. The pipe is free to expand and contract with heat cycles, with no impact on the mountings.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:45 am

Norman is correct, I was referring to an aftermarket muffler not a stock one. Thanks Norman for the adult supervision. You might try after cleaning very well the surfaces red high heat silicone.

All the Best,

Hank

Topic author
GG Gregory

Post by GG Gregory » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks guys but I don’t think I was describing the problem clear enough. It’s not leaking at the exhaust pipe connection, and I don’t have a clamp at that point. This muffler isn’t made to come apart as someone said in their reply. The end caps are poorly welded on both ends, not a solid weld to stop exhaust from leaking around the diameter. Seems the ends are just spot welded In a few places that causes a black mess under the car and on the spare. Looks like I’ll be finding someone with a welder !

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:20 pm

Have run one of these spot welded mufflers, they are just the normal take apart with spot welds to keep from blowing off the end cap on backfires. Most of the exhaust soot comes from the rear opening of the muffler anyway.

The small amount of soot from the seam is just spilling back, onto the muffler. Here is my install, but using the available exhaust deflector, to direct the exhaust down and away from the spare. Works good. Note some soot from the rear cap seam, as this is a std. take apart, not the spot welded muffler.

D3E85014-1A60-419A-8A32-E20F308C652C_1_201_a.jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
GG Gregory

Post by GG Gregory » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:56 am

Thanks Dan, I’ll be ordering one of those deflectors.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic