Metal Drilling Issue

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jagiven
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Given
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster, 25/26 speeder

Metal Drilling Issue

Post by jagiven » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Ran into an issue balancing the triple gears.

1st triple gear drilled out just fine.

2nd triple gear, the heaviest one, I center punched and drilled two pilot holes. No issue.

Stepped up to a larger bit, and the bit just chatters, and loses it edge, almost immediately. No matter what size or coating on the drill bit. Both holes. I used motor oil as a cutting lubricant.

I have sharpened those bits on my Drill Doctor about 12 times.

I have drilled a lot of holes in metal over the years and do not recall ever having this much issue.

Purely clueless and frustrated :evil:

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Re: Metal Drilling Issue

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Certain high carbon steels can do that, even if they're not exactly heat treated. The heat & work of drilling can cause the steel to harden. You'll most likely have to choose another spot to drill, since the spot you tried has now been work hardened. A very sharp drill will help. Maybe try a carbide tipped drill.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:17 pm

And such is the reason I balance flywheels with the triple-gears in place.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:36 pm

Consider a carbide drill bit

Topic author
jagiven
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Given
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster, 25/26 speeder

Post by jagiven » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:58 pm

Jerry VanOoteghem wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:05 pm
Certain high carbon steels can do that, even if they're not exactly heat treated. The heat & work of drilling can cause the steel to harden. You'll most likely have to choose another spot to drill, since the spot you tried has now been work hardened. A very sharp drill will help. Maybe try a carbide tipped drill.
Followed your suggestion and got them all balanced.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:41 am

If you can drill into a triple gear with a regular drill bit, you should be suspicious that it isn’t properly heat treated and maybe use a different gear. The hardness of the triple gears is such that you should have to use a solid carbide drill, endmill, lathe bit, etc to remove material from them. They are not hard all the way thru, but are hard to a certain depth. I use a 3/8” solid carbide end mill to “drill” into them for balancing. Generally when I get maybe about .040” to .060” deep then they cut easier. That generally seems to be the depth of the heat treating.

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Maybe you are running your drill too fast you didn't say that you slowed it down. The gears would be cut before hardening then the gear is heated red and quenched with oil to harden and it may not be consistently hard thought. Some gears may chip, wear or break they are not made to an exact science just general. Try advancing the drill size in smaller increments.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:24 am

The riveted 3 piece gears are more problematical to balance. Not all pieces are perfectly centred before the gears are cut. When the three components are put together there can be quite a variation in their weight. Off centre pieces can be a bonus when balancing the gears, as the off-centre part is the bit removed when machining them. Balancing these unbalanced gears on a flywheel assembly is less than satisfactory. The orbit in which they rotate and their own rotation on the pins will greatly affect the total balance. This is a problem of much lesser magnitude when using the totally machined one piece gears.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic