Model A wire Wheels on Model T wood hubs

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Willie R
First Name: Willie
Last Name: Rathbone
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
Board Member Since: 2006

Model A wire Wheels on Model T wood hubs

Post by Willie R » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:29 am

Model A rear hubs machined and ready to be welded to Model T rear wood wheel hubs.
The front Model A hubs fit right onto Model T spindles. Only a 1/2" spacer is needed in the front.

The reason I am using Model A wire wheels is availability and cheaper costs.
Attachments
IMG_20200915_180144.jpg
IMG_20200915_175813.jpg
IMG_20200915_175834.jpg
IMG_20200915_175943.jpg
IMG_20200915_175743.jpg

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Model A wire Wheels on Model T wood hubs

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:09 pm

Model A hub have the stud swigged into place and need the thickness of the drum to do. Are you going to weld them in place? Now the $100 question, how are you going to replace the rear studs if needed once everything is welded together? Is there enough room between the Model A hub part and T wood wheel hub to install them? The Model A drum also is part of the wheel support system, but at least doing it this way will give 2 points of support out of 3, which is still better then the adapters that are sold.
For the fronts, yes with the correct bearings you can do that, but, even with a spacer, you need to think about how you are going to install a seal. Check the fit of the inner bearing with the spacer, by time you add the spacer you can be running short on the machined area on the spindle were the inner bearing rides. It should be fully supported. The outer, as I recall that the T bearing can be used if you use the spacer, but if not, needs to ride on more then just the thread on the spindle. On the rears I was working through the idea of installing a plug in the axle tube and using the whole hub with A bearings. Your approach on the rears is something had not crossed my mind, thanks.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Willie R

Post by Willie R » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:20 pm

Mark you are very correct about the studs originally being sweged in. I am using entirely different studs front and back and yes they will be welded in place. The shoulders on them are only .25 long as well.
I thought about the possibility of having to replace a stud in the rear hubs. if so, I will have to create a whole new hub assembly if I need to.

There will actually be a three point contact. I am using large rear 26 / 27 brake drums which will give the third area of contact just like with a Model A brake drum.

The front inner bearing will only have half the contact with the machined area on the spindle. Its a very light car so I am hoping for the best on that. The Model A front hubs dont use a lip seal. Only a metal insert to help retain the grease. I will have to cut off 1/2" off the ends of the front spindles to install grease caps. The outer front hub bearing also checks out to have full contact on the Model T threaded spindle.

I got (4) like new 21" Model A wheels for 100.00 and the Model A hubs for free from a Model A buddy.
1 hour of machining time, new hub studs, and new lug nuts is what I am into this project.
I ran out of other projects and thought of this adventure. LOL

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:27 pm

On your rear hubs, you really should add an extension on the outer end to support the outside end of the wheel center. Leaving the outside of the wheel center unsupported will eventually cause the wheel center to crack around the lug bolts due to flexing. Neglecting this detail is often the case if you assume all you need is the lug nuts holding the wheel to the hub. Look at the outer end of the A front hubs- the area by the outer bearing/dust cap is a snug fit in the wheel center for a reason. Good luck with your project.

Topic author
Willie R

Post by Willie R » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:36 pm

There is 1/8" of an inch on both front and back hub to wheel center contact. Hoping this is enough as the fronts will only have two points of contact and the rears will have three (usung 11" T brake drums) like Model As had originally. I considered the support rings all the way around but dont think they are needed with the .125 contact and a very light car ??
Attachments
IMG_20200917_140732-1.jpg
IMG_20200917_142124.jpg
IMG_20200917_135805-1.jpg

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:06 pm