Generator trouble shooting. Suggestions?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dennis Fleming
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Fleming
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 touring,23 TT Express,23 Center Door,15 Touring,22 Speedster,22Coupe
MTFCA Number: 27815
MTFCI Number: 19314
Board Member Since: 2005

Generator trouble shooting. Suggestions?

Post by Dennis Fleming » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:11 pm

I have a generator that pegs the amp meter while running fast idle and after a few minutes run time the commutator starts to get hot and smoke. Took the brush cover off and while running there are sparks running around the commutator from the brushes. Wiring is correct and when a load is put on ,the amp meter discharges while not running.
Any ideas?

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Re: Generator trouble shooting. Suggestions?

Post by JohnH » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:57 pm

The charge current would appear to be excessive. Try changing the position of the 3rd brush to reduce it down to about 5A. If that doesn't work, the next thing I'd do is check the position of the brush plate. That entails removing the generator from the engine and connecting it to a battery so it runs as a motor. The third brush is lifted off the commutator and the brush plate is rotated to its null point; i.e. the generator stops spinning in one direction or the other. Then it can be put back in the car and the third brush set in the usual way. Be aware that many original brush plates crumble apart if the nut securing the 3rd brush has been tightened excessively. When that happens, the 3rd brush becomes grounded and it won't charge.There's a good fibreglass repro if it needs replacement.

Philip
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring

Post by Philip » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:25 am

Read the generator section in the Ford manual it tells you how to set the neutral
And then the output of you don't fix it it will be toast.

Ron Patterson
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Patterson
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Ron Patterson » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:36 am

Dennis
Give me a call and I will try to help.
Ron Patterson

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic