Original Fasteners

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Original Fasteners

Post by Mark Osterman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:35 pm

I’m installing the top on my 1923 runabout and have noticed that the “lift the dot” fasteners that come with the kit are not the same size as the originals on my bows. The male fasteners that thread into holes on the inside metal supports have a smaller head than the originals and naturally they don’t fit the new female fasteners. Does anyone have six NOS female “lift the dot” fasteners I could buy?

Also, the female “common sense” fasteners are really bright. Has anyone chemically dulled these? I have the original male common sense fasteners that have a nice dull sheen and would like to make them match.

Jeepbone1
First Name: Brad
Last Name: Kirtner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring Car, 1927 Closed Cab TT, 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50618
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Original Fasteners

Post by Jeepbone1 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:37 am

I know an old guy Thad does civil war and revolutionary war re-enactments and gave me a little advice on how to make new brass buttons and such look old and worn. Stick it in a bucket and pee on it! For those of us not quite that brave, I guess some ammonia or vinegar will work well. As to how long to leave it in the “liquid”, your mileage will very.

Brad

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:53 pm

drop it in some muriatic acid for an hour or so...that'll typically strip of plating.
1924 Touring

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:48 am

Have you had any luck yet finding original Anzo fasteners?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic