Generator not showing charge on meter

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Generator not showing charge on meter

Post by DickC » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:14 am

I have understood that the generator sometimes needs to be charged for it to put current out. I had a short in the cutout and replaced it with a diode cutout. The ammeter doesn't show charge. What is the procedure to "zap" the generator?

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Generator not showing charge on meter

Post by Kerry » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:30 am

I'd say pull it out and get it checked out, if the cut out shorted out then the generator tried to motor, it could be fried.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:16 am

Or do like I did and put on an alternator! Boy am I glad I did. Works so much nicer. Can run headlamps and even hit the brake
and the ammeter never drops below zero. Pretty nice. Puts out 4 amps after starting, settles back to just a fuzz above zero the rest of the day running.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:00 am

I find that when my T's set for a long time without running, the residual magnetism in the generator will decrease. It needs enough magnetism to put out a charge to operate the cutout. The cutout will allow the current to flow from the generator to the battery but not from the battery to the generator. To fix this, with the engine running, I take a wire and for a few seconds bypass the cutout. That is I connect the generator terminal to the hot wire from the battery. Do this only with the engine running at a fast idle. Then look at the ammeter after you remove the wire. It should show a charge. This seems to last for a few days, because when I go on a tour which lasts several days, the generator works as soon as I start the engine.
I have never used a voltage regulator, but have seen posted that you should not "Polarize" the generator with a regulator on it.
Norm

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Novice » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:14 pm

I also find that after the T sits for a while the generator will not show any output when the engine is first started. but after a few minutes of running will start charging. Haven't had to jump it off yet.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:50 pm

Our '19 Centerdoor does that after sitting a spell - runs a minute then takes off charging.

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:44 pm

What I have done a couple of times is dip a small paint brush in some gasoline and touch the commutator while it is running. If there is any hydrocarbon residue on the commutator it will dissolve it, it only takes about 2 seconds and I had instant charge.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686

INSTANT FIRE

Post by Novice » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 am

Does it ever catch fire when You clean it. seems like You have all the requirements. Fuel. Oxygen. spark.

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:15 am

Check the Third-Brush?
index3generator.png
index3generator.png (10.25 KiB) Viewed 3105 times

Topic author
DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:55 am

Thanks Norm, I'll try it today.

gcomo
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Como
MTFCA Number: 49625

Post by gcomo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:09 am

My gauge is also not showing any charge. How do I test to make sure the generator is actually working?

Thanks,
Gary

Afrazer
Last Name: Frazer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 closed cab TT. 1925 factory roadster pickup. 1926 two door sedan
MTFCA Number: 52861

Post by Afrazer » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:09 am

I’m having the same issue. Bad cutout. Could get ahold of one so put on an alternator still no movement on needle. Okay so I attached wires to a new in box meter still no change. Any one have suggestions?
1925 closed cab TT
1925 factory roadster pickup
1926 two door sedan

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006

Post by AdminJeff » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:49 am

Altair wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:44 pm
What I have done a couple of times is dip a small paint brush in some gasoline and touch the commutator while it is running. If there is any hydrocarbon residue on the commutator it will dissolve it, it only takes about 2 seconds and I had instant charge.
This is Not a good idea... I can tell you this from direct experience. I had a generator on my test bench after spending hours rebuilding it. One of the last things I used to do is spray electronic cleaner on the brushes/armature to help lube and set in the new brushes. Worked great, and cleans the dust off as well. Except this one time...I must have used a little too much and it burst into flames. Only for a second or two as it is pretty volatile stuff, but boy did it sure did get my attention. The can I used stated clearly on the back "flammable". Of course I read that afterwards. It's great for dirty potentiometer cleaning in stereos, etc, but not on spark producing armatures. The same goes for gas, kerosene, isopropyl alcohol, etc.

So, given this, I HIGHLY recommend NOT using gas or anything flammable anywhere near your generator or starter when in operation... only very bad things will happen.

AdminJeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:01 am

RajoRacer wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:50 pm
Our '19 Centerdoor does that after sitting a spell - runs a minute then takes off charging.
After rebuilding many generators now, I've seen this Quite a few times on the cores I get back. Sometimes (rarely) it can be solved by adjusting the third brush, or it's just bad brushes. Most of the time it's the armature starting to fail. Either shorted or open on one of the windings - easily found with a growler test. Replace the armature or fix the short/open, test on the growler, and problem solved.
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:25 am

My Henrietta sat for 63 years before I brought her home. Two days after I first had her running again, the ammeter started up and she has been charging ever since, with no interference by me in either the generator or original old cut out. I couldn't believe my luck. I guess a little bit of running cleaned up the armature somewhat, and away she went.

Lucky Allan from down under.

AdminJeff

Post by AdminJeff » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:37 am

Allan wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:25 am
My Henrietta sat for 63 years before I brought her home. Two days after I first had her running again, the ammeter started up and she has been charging ever since, with no interference by me in either the generator or original old cut out. I couldn't believe my luck. I guess a little bit of running cleaned up the armature somewhat, and away she went.

Lucky Allan from down under.
Ok, so one thing that's easy and can be very effective without a rebuild is sand paper. You can do it in the car. Take some 600 grit at the most and hold it on the spinning armature until it shines up. A small foam brush wrapped with it or even a paint stir stick works well. The idea is to get it flat against the brass armature and break the glaze/corrosion on that surface to clean it up. your armature brushes basically did the same thing Alan, it just took 2 days! The enemy of electrical connections is corrosion. And brass, while being a great conductor, corrodes easily, especially after sitting for a long time, which many of your cars do.
Assistant WebSite Admin
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Altair
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Re: INSTANT FIRE

Post by Altair » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:20 am

Novice wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 am
Does it ever catch fire when You clean it. seems like You have all the requirements. Fuel. Oxygen. spark.

There is one more important component fuel to air ratio, and no I have never had a fire. The paint brush is just dipped in the gas only about 1/8" of the tip and just touch the commutator for about two seconds. I have never had ignition develop. There is not enough heat generated and not enough time to develop ignition. The same thing may happen inside a cylinder where the spark plug is contaminated and not developing sufficient heat to ignite the vapors. You have, spark air and fuel and nothing happens you can also be too rich or too lean and nothing will happen.

NU2theT
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Wendt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 32419

Post by NU2theT » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:39 am

DickC wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:14 am
I have understood that the generator sometimes needs to be charged for it to put current out. I had a short in the cutout and replaced it with a diode cutout. The ammeter doesn't show charge. What is the procedure to "zap" the generator?
If you bought the fun projects 5055R it should have had instructions and third brush adjustment sheet folded up in there, if not the good news is on the website you can down load a PDF installation instructions for your application. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:55 pm

The link to the Fun Projects T- 5055R installation instructions http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/5055R6.PDF
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic