11 Torpedo windshield

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
civinwt
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Hopkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 20TT 1Ton, 27 Runabout

11 Torpedo windshield

Post by civinwt » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:46 pm

Is there only one size for the upper and lower windshield frames height? I have found several references to 12 3/4" upper and lower, 13 3/4" upper and lower, 14 3/4" lower and combinations of different measurements for both upper and lower.
Pictures I have found on line show the frames line up when folded down. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Piewagon
First Name: John
Last Name: Regan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout, 1911 Touring, 1912 Delivery Cars (2), 1915 Roadster, 1916 Roadster, 1923 Touring Car
MTFCA Number: 14725
MTFCI Number: 77
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: 11 Torpedo windshield

Post by Piewagon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:32 pm

The windshield frames on 1911 torpedoes here int he USA are 12-3/4 height for both top and bottom panes. There are rubber bumpers added along the sides of the lower windshield frame to keep the upper and lower frames from banging into each other when the top windshield is folded down. Finally there is a special rainwater channel piece that is riveted to both the bottom glass channel of the upper glass and the top glass channel of the lower glass. There 2 pieces are shaped such that the rainwater that climbs up the slanted windshield lower pane will not be able to blow through the slot between the upper and lower pane. Those 2 extra channels are simply added to the regular window channel. All parts are brass including the small rivets that attach the rain water gutter channel to the window glass channel.

Hope this helps.

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 153

Post by Walter Higgins » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:33 pm

Piewagon wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:32 pm
Finally there is a special rainwater channel piece that is riveted to both the bottom glass channel of the upper glass and the top glass channel of the lower glass. There 2 pieces are shaped such that the rainwater that climbs up the slanted windshield lower pane will not be able to blow through the slot between the upper and lower pane. Those 2 extra channels are simply added to the regular window channel. All parts are brass including the small rivets that attach the rain water gutter channel to the window glass channel.
Several years ago I ordered the "Torpedo" windshield kit and it didn't come with that rain channel and I haven't been able to get my hands on one since (but would love to). Lang's used to list them but they haven't been available in years and they said they aren't likely coming back.

The extra money I paid for my Torpedo windshield kit was pretty worthless. The eyelet casting were way undersized and of poor quality, the brass support tubes were nothing but straight tubing (no dogleg on the bottom) and I'm not even sure they're long enough, and it came with a one-piece air deflector for between the two halves that I was told would keep out wind but not rain. Still haven't figured out that one, but they said the ceased making the rain channel and would no longer supply it.

So, all that said, check carefully before paying the extra money. Had I known, I would have just bought the frame itself since I have to make everything else.

Topic author
civinwt
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Hopkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 20TT 1Ton, 27 Runabout

Post by civinwt » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:06 pm

John and Walter, thank you very much for the info. I have confirmed that the windshield and securing brackets on my car are repro. The bottom measures 12 3/4 " and the top half is 14 3/4" tall. I am looking into cutting the top half down to the 12 3/4" as mentioned above. I have read that the vertical windshield rods run parallel to the firewall when properly aligned. Do either of you have an overall dimension of the length of these rods? Thank you for your help.

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 153

Post by Walter Higgins » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:21 pm

If you're interested in making a truly correct set of support rods you should contact the Benson Ford Research Center and order drawing number T-2640, or as they term it, "T-2640_12-07-1910_v2" which is the original drawing date. It is marked up by hand with a second set of dimensions and has all the details of how the dogleg is bent as well as the dimensions for the cast eyelet. You almost never see a car with replacement support rods that has them bent correctly. The original overall length of the formed rod was 32-1/4" and later hand written on it was 31-1/2". Originally those were brass clad steel tubes, not solid brass. I don't know that anybody has ever reproduced them correctly but I'm going to try here at some point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic