shorten steering shaft

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mustang1964s
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Bourgeois
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1926
MTFCA Number: 29784
MTFCI Number: 22970
Board Member Since: 2007

shorten steering shaft

Post by Mustang1964s » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Well as most of you know my steering shaft broke on me last weekend.
The upper part just slipped out. The lower part was a challenge.
I was finally able to pull the lower part out.
I laid it down next to an old worn out steering shaft that I had.
As it turns out the shaft that I pulled out was about 4 inches shorter than a standard steering shaft.
When I get a good replacement, what would be the best method of shortening the shaft?
I have not yet found out if I can order one 4 inches smaller.
If I can't get a new one built shorter, then the only option left is to have a standard one taken to a machine shop and have the end milled down with threads and key way cut.

I really want to say away with welding the old shaft back.
If you can give me some good questions to ask the welder maybe he can put it back in one piece.
I have heard that if done right, it can be stronger than the original.

FYI This is not a standard steering column. It looks like the steering column has been shortened by 4 inches as well.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: shorten steering shaft

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:45 pm

You can always use a double D coupler. Install midway where the shaft comes though the firewall and where the steering box guide is. It requires milling on both pieces but would be a lot cheaper than having the end machined.

Hope this Helps,

Hank

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:03 pm

When I shortened a steering shaft for a special build, I cut the shaft between the firewall and the steering wheel where it will be hidden in the steering tube when finished. Be sure to sharpen both ends of the cut to be welded like a pencil so the welder can fill it in and grind it smooth afterwards. If you only butt cut and weld, you might have a broken shaft again and won’t fit in the tube and be an ugly sight when you lift the hood. Just thinking out loud. Frank

Topic author
Mustang1964s
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Bourgeois
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1926
MTFCA Number: 29784
MTFCI Number: 22970
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Mustang1964s » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Would that coupler give the clearance of the timing and throttle rods?

TRDxB2
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:38 pm

Couldn't see if you already answered this question: Why did the car have a shortened steering shaft? Do you need to do the same? Why? :?
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:00 am

There is an upside to shortening the shaft by re-machining the bottom end. That part of the shaft which runs in the lower bracket bush will not be worn, and that will make your steering assembly that much more precise.
Unless you need the entire shorter column assembly, it might be better to replace the lot with a standard column.

Allan from down under.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:19 am

You are playing with fire. You got burned because a prior owner had modified the steering shaft, and now you are contemplating doing it again yourself. The correct repair would be to replace the entire steering column with a stock Ford set up. Complete restorable steering columns are plentiful and affordable.

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:31 am

If you need a short steering shaft, then cut the end off of a full length shaft and re machine correctly. Safest way period. For an experienced machinist, piece of cake. When my father was bigger, he could have used a shorter steering shaft.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:36 am

Yes you have clearance. I have double D couplers if you wish to go this way. It is the same method as modern vehicles with a collapsable column shaft, perfectly safe. You do not weld them, you pin them.

Hank

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:41 am

The 1909 cars used a shorter column. I suspect some portly owners had the column shortened to provide a more comfortable driving position.
When I restored the 09 it had a standard 1914 column which is too long. After some consideration I decided to shorte both the shaft and the outer column and replace the quadrant. Machining the taper and the keyway was time consuming but not difficult. I would recommend NOT welding whether visible or invisible.
The most fun is installing the long rivets to hold the quadrant. Incidentally all this effort is described in the sept/Oct 2020 The Vintage Ford in my article “The Gift”
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

TRDxB2
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:07 am

Mustang1964s wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:25 pm
..... FYI This is not a standard steering column. It looks like the steering column has been shortened by 4 inches as well.
You said in the very beginning that the steering column was shortened too. While there have been many suggestions on how to repair what you have only a few question why your interested in fixing a bastardized steering column & shaft. Replacing the steering column & shaft is likely to be less expensive and time consuming than salvaging someone else's improper fix.
What year/model is this T anyway, you never said or why you still want a shortened steering column.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic