Kinston 5 balls restoration

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bcbug68
First Name: Brice
Last Name: Chalançon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 2 lever

Kinston 5 balls restoration

Post by bcbug68 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:37 am

Hi everybody!

I am always working on my Ford, and I work on the carb at this time. I thanks Kim to help me with special parts. I would like to discuss with you about this carb befor to make mistakes.

I have 5 balls : 2 brass same size, 2 steel same size and 1 steel bigger size. Normaly it was 5 brass same size? Did you alredy saw this improvement?

What do you think of my needle which adjust the level of the fuel in the carb. I have to make a new one? I could make a test but your experiment could help me.

I heard some people said these carbs doesn't work properly? It is right or they just did'nt understand how they work?

Thank you for your post, I join some pictures.
IMG_7348.jpg
IMG_7348.jpg (85.9 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
IMG_7348.jpg
IMG_7348.jpg (85.9 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
IMG_7732.jpg
IMG_7733.jpg
Attachments
IMG_7734.jpg
IMG_7734.jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 1846 times

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Kinston 5 balls restoration

Post by StanHowe » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:53 pm

They are simple carburetors and run well. Throw out all the old balls. Buy new ones the correct size. Grind the seats with a small ball shaped stone the same size. Fuel height in the bowl is critical to getting the engine started.

My email is stanhowemt@aol.com

I will give you some offline advice if you wish. I have 5 or 6 of them setting here waiting for rebuild as soon as I get back to the shop this month.

You might want to look at my web site. www.strombergof.com

I am not taking in any rebuild work at this time. I probably will again next year but I am too far behind due to some things going on in the last year or two So I am not soliciting your rebuild. Clean everything well, it will work fine.

Stan Howe

talbotman
First Name: john
Last Name: hughes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring (#2438)

Re: Stan Howe, & Kinston 5 ball restoration

Post by talbotman » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:04 am

When I purchased my 1909 touring, I was somewhat disappointed to see that it's 5-ball carburettor, and 2-piece timer had both been replaced by much later ones, dating from the mid-1920's. I was delighted however, when next day I found both missing items stowed carefully under the back seat. I called Stan Howe, and he gave me a most reasonable quote to repair and restore the carburettor, Some parts of which were missing, damaged, or quite badly worn. I immediately posted it to him, a distance of 8,300 miles. In due course it was retuned. It gleamed, and it looked as though it was brand new. Next day, I fitted it to my car, and I'm delighted with it. I am a great fan of these carburettors. I had one on my 1911 Ford. It performed well, started easily, and it was responsive. What else can be expected of a carburettor ? Thank-you Stan, for doing such a wonderful job on my carburettor.

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:33 am

Thanks, John.
To say that one was a challenge is an understatement. They got a lot of hard use in rural America and Australia in early days, sucked a lot of dust and the balls vibrated with every bump. The seats wore to where the balls would stick or not seal, which yours wouldn't, but it wasn't as bad as some I've had where the seats had worn completely through and I had to make new seats and silver solder them in. That's a real trick.
I probably ground 200 dents and whack marks out of yours, the bowl was bent, the inlet was bent, the flange was bent, the needle rod was bent, I don't think there was a straight piece anywhere.
I made new hex caps for it and a new inlet and of course a new needle and float.
I think I made about ten bucks an hour on that one but it should be good for another 100 years.
Slow work but worth it.
Thanks for the nice post.
I'm back in the shop next week after being off dealing with a couple things and doing a big auction about 100 miles away.

Topic author
bcbug68
First Name: Brice
Last Name: Chalançon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 2 lever

Post by bcbug68 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi Stan, Hi John,

I thank you for your posts and your advices. I was sure this carburetor should work but I am reassured to read your comments.
I heard the same about the 2 pieces timer and again it is great to read it works. I don't have one yet because my engine was converted with a Bosch magneto. But I would like to mount a 2 pieces timer like original. If somebody has one to sell I will be interested.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic