Some questions using a Ball Bearing Water pulley on a 26 water inlet

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Some questions using a Ball Bearing Water pulley on a 26 water inlet

Post by Mopar_man » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:37 pm

So I decided to buy and use one of those Ball Bearing pulleys for Rattles my 26 T. I got it all together and I have a Three questions.

1. A washer came with the pulley for the main bolt that goes through the pulley. I'm thinking that it goes between the pulley and the water outlet. Am I correct? Look where I'm pointing.
IMG_3848.jpeg

2. The eccentric that is used to tighten the belt has two holes. One is for the main bolt. What is the second hole for?

3. Once the belt is tightened do you use the 2 inch bolt that goes left to right on the bottom of the eccentric to close the ends around the eccentric holding it in place?

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Some questions using a Ball Bearing Water pulley on a 26 water inlet

Post by DanTreace » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:12 pm

Your bracket is the early style gone by Jan. ‘26. The eccentric drum on those are ridged or ‘threaded’ like a straight worm gear and the lower bolt is a special worm drive to rotate the drum for belt adjustment. So the fan axle bolt goes thru the drum.

The Improved later design uses smooth eccentric drum, that is rotated with an exterior lug on the rear of the drum, and the drum is now held fast withe the fan axle bolt that has flats on the end to hold placement as lock nut is tightened. Parts of each style bracket don’t interchange.

35EA271C-45E9-42AD-B8D6-8AC09DECFB05.jpeg
29D78241-B4CD-42E6-A7AA-EFEC1AAC6947.jpeg
0DA9C8C2-F3DE-40EB-94A3-4360032D744B.jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:19 pm

These drawings help with Q-2 & 3. The original eccentric was a 'worm & wheel' arrangement where the bottom bolt threads engaged the outside circumference of the eccentric. With the nut loose or removed the bolt is turned to tighten the fan belt. Then the nut is tightened MODERATELY and cotter pin installed to clamp everything in place. You may have the later '26 version eccentric that did not have the 'teeth' around the perimeter (I'm not sure the two interchange), that worm and wheel arrangement was changed soon after introduction b/c the 'ears' on the lower bolt clamp were prone to break if the bolt was overtightened.
Here's the 'early' '26 design:
app.php/gallery/image/1123

Here's the later one that was used until the end of production:
app.php/gallery/image/1124

Best, jb

Topic author
Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:01 pm

Thanks for all the info and pictures. My eccentric does have the worm gear edge. So does anyone out there know if the washer for the new pulley goes where I'm pointing in the picture.

Also what is the second hole for in the eccentric?

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:13 pm

Robert, you have one of the few "Eared" eccentric supports that I have ever seen that is still intact. Usually, the ears are broken off. This did not happen always, just nearly every time. Be gentle with yours, as you have a pretty rare setup, from what I have seen. In your case, I think the washer goes where you are pointing with the pencil. It spaces the hub out slightly so it doesn't rub. Check your belt alignment after you put everything together, to see that the belt runs "squarely" on the pulleys. You may need to add another washer to get everything in one plane of alignment.

Topic author
Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:54 pm

Thanks! I'll be careful with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic