13T - Christmas Parade Question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Darin Hull
First Name: Darin
Last Name: Hull
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Model T
MTFCA Number: 29699
MTFCI Number: 25147
Board Member Since: 2010

13T - Christmas Parade Question

Post by Darin Hull » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:00 pm

I know several folks have put their Ts in Christmas parades... even if you’ve since tired of them and no longer participate.

For someone like me who has never done one before and considering whether to do one or not... any advice, best practices, or pitfalls to avoid?

Oh and this would be in Georgia, so no snow and temps are usually in the 40s-50s in the evening/night.

Darin

big2bird
First Name: Jeffrey
Last Name: Hausey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Early 23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51193
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: 13T - Christmas Parade Question

Post by big2bird » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:48 pm

Set the hand brake to nuetral, and just jog the low pedal and coast. Tapping the car along at idle, like a slow shuffle.

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KWTownsend » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:52 pm

Battery powered LED Christmas lights can add lots of fun.

: ^ )

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Novice » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:42 am

My Mechanic says He gets a lot of transmission work every year from damage caused by people driving their model Ts in parades. He says unless You have both a warford and a ruxel You will haft to keeping pushing the low pedal in and out. Less if You are the lead car and set the pace of the parade. even then Your left foot will stay busy and Your bands will get a lot of use.
Parade driving causes the equivalent wear of a lot of driving and touring in one 60 minute parade.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:57 am

Jim - What you say is very true,...the fact that parades can be very hard on bands. However, if you are careful in your driving, it is possible to minimize the extra wear on the low band. While parades are usually a lot of "stop-and-go" slow speed driving, you can wait until there quite a gap ahead of you when you depress the low pedal to advance, and by waiting for a fairly large gap, you can somewhat minimize the number of times you depress the low pedal. Also, as most parades are usually on "Main Street", which is usually pretty level, the tendency of Model T Fords to "creep" even with engine at idle rpm, the "creeping" tendency can really be your friend! Watch carefully ahead, and sometimes you can really be quite easy on the low band, ....FWIW, .....harold

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:57 am

I've been in many many dozens of parades in my T. Never any transmission issues. As some have stated, keep the engine running slow, give the low pedal an occasional push, and mostly just coast. Just don't ride the low band or allow it to slip as you poke along. You'll be fine.

Also, if anyone ahead of you is tossing out candy or souvenirs to kids in the crowd, be EXTREMELY careful for kids who may dart out in front of you. They don't perceive you as car that can hit them. AND, don't get stuck behind horses! You can imagine why :shock:

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:05 am

2nighthawks wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:57 am
... However, if you are careful in your driving, it is possible to minimize the extra wear on the low band. While parades are usually a lot of "stop-and-go" slow speed driving, you can wait until there quite a gap ahead of you when you depress the low pedal to advance, and by waiting for a fairly large gap, you can somewhat minimize the number of times you depress the low pedal.
Exactly what Harold said. In parades, I would generally lag back somewhat from the car in front of me. When the space had become three or four car lengths, I would engage the low pedal fully and (of course) begin catching up to the car in front of me. When I was close, I'd release the low pedal and basically sit while the parade moved ahead. That way, low was either fully engaged or fully disengaged. A Ruckstell would have helped, but I don't have one. I'd far rather go for a drive in the countryside than be in a parade, but the people like the Model Ts and my grandkids enjoyed riding in the car and waving to the crowds. I would always try to do at least the St. Patrick's Day parade in St. Louis (a huge event) and the Veterans' Day parade. (Both canceled this year.)

Parades move at the speed of the slowest child marching. That doesn't mean you have maintain that same speed all the time. :D

P1040474.jpg
The parade in 2011. My daughter and I in the front seat, and Anja with the twins in the back.

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510

Post by Thorlick » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:05 pm

Darin,

I suggest you go look at the parade route. Here we alternate the Independence Day parades between neighboring towns. Nevada City’s route is all downhill, Grass Valley’s all uphill.

In the downhill years the cars do fine. If you stall you can even coast downhill the rest of the way, but the crowds love to see a T hand cranked.

In the uphill years the car runs hot, uses a lot of water and band... I always end up having to do a band adjustment afterwards.

So look the route over before you decide. if you do it make sure your car is in top shape when you check it over a few days before the parade.

IMHO, TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Susanne » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:25 pm

If they reverse the direction of the Nevada City parade, then it would be uphill both ways...

Kind of like walking 5 miles to school in the winter! :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic