Triple gear pin wear.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Barth_Tool_Co
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Alvord
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Touring

Triple gear pin wear.

Post by Barth_Tool_Co » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:14 pm

I got the transmission apart today and measured the triple gear pins to see how much out of round they are... I got .0021" difference measured 90 degrees apart. I want to make sure I do this right while it's apart. The bushings in the are likely worn also as I can rock the gears side to side on the vertical axis a lot easily... Unfortunately I don't have a tool to measure the inside dia of those.
... and my number is Beechwood 4-5789
1926 Touring - "Corrina"

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Triple gear pin wear.

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Jason

I'm NO fan of Harbor Freight, but I'm guessing that you're not going to want to spend a bunch of money for a tool that gets seldom use. Consider buying this: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-t ... -5649.html and using in concert with an outside micrometer. You're doing this work yourself so don't deny yourself the enjoyment and knowledge that work you or someone else is doing is done right.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:52 pm

Scott's suggestion is an excellent one, (as usual).

jagiven
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Given
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster, 25/26 speeder

Post by jagiven » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:05 pm

When I saw your post I thought it was mine from a week earlier with the same exact title.

I bought the telescoping gauge set for measuring IDs for rebuilding our transmission. I have used it to check every bushing for wear. Well worth it.

Not sure if it helps, but here is a link to my posting. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1570&p=12743&hilit= ... ear#p12743

I am going to try to glass bead blast my pins this weekend and prep for re-assembly. As of right now, I am will install new bushings triple gear bushings (bad wear on one), and reaming them to fit a particular pin to ensure the right clearances. Which means I have to purchase an adjustable reamer.

Good Luck.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:28 pm

Jason

If you intend to ream, I think you'll be better served by using a fixed reamer of the size you desire. Adjustable reamers run the gamut of price and thus quality. I have not yet found an adjustable reamer which will adequately ream the bronze bushing you're dealing with. Great wearing qualities of bronze also means it is tough to ream or single point turn on a lathe. Most people think it will act like brass, and boy it doesn't. Anyway, good luck and report back how it goes.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:15 pm

My practice is to virtually always change the pins. With new pins, rarely do I need to change the triple gear bushings

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic