Need Valve job on my 1925 T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DonH
First Name: Don
Last Name: Hanson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925
MTFCA Number: 22351

Need Valve job on my 1925 T

Post by DonH » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:06 pm

Been reading the forum and I need some suggestions.Do I replace the cam or regrind? What valves to use and who would you suggest as a supplier? Never done a valve job. I also read that milling the head .125 will improve performance. Your thoughts very much appreciated. Don

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Re: Need Valve job on my 1925 T

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:44 pm

Milling a stock head 1/8" will not give you any noticeable performance increase. Others may not agree. What diameter valve stems are in your engine now? are the guides worn or have they been previously reamed to an oversize? You need to provide more info on the current condition of your engine to get any useful feedback.

AZTerry
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Loftus
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 7379
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by AZTerry » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:38 am

Hello Don,

Dan is dead on. I strongly suggest you do not do this. I tried it 15 years ago. No improved performance. Worse it made the head so thin in one spot in one cylinder, I broke the head at the edge of the combustion chamber on my next speedster run. I went onto the trouble truck on the first leg. An after market head has been very reliable for me and provided the added performance I wanted.

Terry

J and M Machine
First Name: John
Last Name: Gulbankian

Post by J and M Machine » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:27 am

If you are to proceed to do a valve job:
Once you remove cam,inpect the cam lobes for wear and pitting.
If the lobes aren't pitted it can be reground to touring or stock lift.
The valve guides will need to be checked for wear if valves have never been replaced then you'll need to ream the valve guides oversize for larger valve stems .015" over.
You'll also have to magnaflux "crack check" the block valve seat area as cylinders 2-3 exhaust seats often crack towards exhaust manifold side of block.
Once the guides are machined oversize then you can cut the valve seat area if it can be reground or a new seat has to be installed.
The parts you can get from all the dealers as they will be stainless steel valves and we would recommend you get the adjustable lifters. Along with new springs,keepers and retainers.
You'll have to have the valve stems shortened to use the adjustable lifters in the engine.

Rather than machining the head as others have said will make no improvement; is to get high compression pistons as that will make the power improvement you are looking for as it ups the compression ratio. If you are going to go that route the cylinders have to be in usable condition for the new piston rings to seal or you'll have to machine cylinders to accept pistons. The other alternative to more power is to find a good low cylinder head as it will accomplish what the high compression pistons will do with the high head.

Topic author
DonH
First Name: Don
Last Name: Hanson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925
MTFCA Number: 22351

Post by DonH » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:43 am

Thank you all far taking the time to respond. I will get back after I get started in disasembly and see what U have. At this point I have the head off and can see several valves are really pitted.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic