Livingood conversion

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Livingood conversion

Post by John E. Guitar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has a car with a Livingood conversion installed?

How do well these cars drive in the sand?

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Livingood conversion

Post by RajoRacer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:09 pm

Tom Carnegie in Spokane, WA has one.

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:25 am

There use to be a Livingood four wheel drive T in San Diego north county. It came on several tours, it seemed to keep up with other Ts on tours and didn’t seem unreliable. From what I could tell, the performance was similar to regular Ts, though the extra weight must of had a negative effect. In modern traffic conditions in Southern Cal I don’t see the need for four wheel drive, although it was an interesting novelty.
When the owner passed, I lost track of the car.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Howard Tomlinson
First Name: Howard
Last Name: Tomlinson

Post by Howard Tomlinson » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:47 pm

One of the vendors at Hershey had one on displayed a few years ago (not for sale). The gentlemen are from Michigan I believe and have a spot at the lower end of the Green Field near the new car show grounds. It was just a running gear with a bench seat installed. One thing I did notice was the transfer case was a pretty rudimentary deal. Pretty much just some sheetmetal attached over the inner workings. I don't think it could hold grease or oil. I suppose you were suppose to oil it every so often.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:59 pm

google "MTFCA; Livingood"
There have been a lot of post on the forum over the years on the Livingood.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Hardie
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: MacDonald
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '15roadster4WD,'17Touring,'20CenterDoor,'25TT, 2x-'26coupes,'26snowmobile
MTFCA Number: 23888
MTFCI Number: 16319

Post by Hardie » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:20 pm

Greetings:

Your message might indicate you are looking to buy a 4Wd Model T with the Livingood conversion. Do it !!!!

Having driven one I can tell you there is no fear of sand driving. I don't think the car would be too happy in the dunes of south-eastern California but given the variety of gear ratios available with Henry's two speed coupled to a three or four speed auxiliary it would likely plug along even there. I likened the car I drove to an MB jeep as far as its capabilities were concerned.

I was so impressed I am putting one together as we speak. I have the chassis and drives completed and when finished it'll be a '15 Roadster P/U 4Wd.

They are built "bully for strong". The transfer case on a true Livingood only weighs about seventy five pounds, before lubricant, and looks like it might be at home anywhere a power divider in needed.

Hope this helps. Ron MacDonald

Topic author
John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by John E. Guitar » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:28 pm

Yes, I am interested in acquiring the parts to convert one of my cars.

At this stage I’m just researching the conversion. I’ve found the stock Model T to be very capable off road but have never driven on the beach.

It would definitely be unique car in and around Sydney.

Thanks guys for your replies. I’ll try calling Tom in the next few weeks.

tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:48 pm

Are they full time 4wd or can you switch from 4wd to 2 wd ?
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

Hardie
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: MacDonald
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '15roadster4WD,'17Touring,'20CenterDoor,'25TT, 2x-'26coupes,'26snowmobile
MTFCA Number: 23888
MTFCI Number: 16319

Post by Hardie » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:07 pm

The transfer case lets you choose between four wheel drive or two wheel drive.
An added benefit is four wheel brakes in 4WD. Ron MacDonald

namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Post by namdc3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:20 pm

I vaguely remember there were two versions - one with a chain-driven transfer case with an in-out lever and one with a full-time 4wd transfer case with a locking differential. I think the newer ones are all the chain-drive in-out version, but I'm not sure. Of course, since there are no locking hubs, the front diff and drive shaft are always turning if the front wheels are.

I'm not sure if Jesse R. is still with us (hope so), but I'd really like to know how their own family pronounces their last name, i.e. Lie-vin-good, Li-vin-good, Lie-ving-good, Li-ving-good, or another way. I've heard people in the T community say it different ways, but I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth (so to speak) and say it right.

namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Post by namdc3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:43 pm

Yeah, according to this...http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehi ... dster-4wd/. There's a photo of one of Jesse F.'s original kits with a center diff. Like I said, I think all of Jesse R.'s are what this article refers to as the earlier version with in-out and no center diff. I definitely could be wrong, though.

One390
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 25 TT

Post by One390 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm

I will try to pass some on. There are 2 versions, both chain drive. One transfer case version is just a gear that is slid on to a slimed shaft to engage or slid out and the gear free wheels on the shaft disengaged. The second version discussed has a differential the transfer case shaft goes through. same sliding gear engagement.The spider gears allow some relief of binding front to back also they have a brake drum that the differential is mounted in. So the brake drum is a t drum and has the same band which is tied to the t brake pedal so you have 4 wheel brakes sort of. This probability leaves a lot of questions still. The patents are floating around. I will say the non differential t-case is simpler to fool with in my opinion. Jessie jr does have a spider gear setup in his car and I am told it works well on the road. These are like any 4x4 in that you have more stuff to work on and around but are neat if you like this sort of thing. Simple and smart considering when it was developed. They are hard to come by if you want one.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:42 am

I'd like several Livingood's to help negotiate my winter hill. Maw would shoot me, if I'd let her play with....
Sand? How about snow? Same drag down bit I think.
Check this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHoUKq0sC8
Super cool.
Someone had to remember this! :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:46 am

One of these days I will make it up to PA where a friend of mine has his other home. To get back on topic his neighbor is Livingoods's grandson if I remember correctly and has a fair bit of stuff (not for sale) at the house.If I ever get up there believe me I will get info and share it.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic