shipping a head

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

shipping a head

Post by KWTownsend » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:42 pm

What is the best was to ship a cast iron engine head?
I'm looking to get one from Portland, Oregon to an address in Richmond, California.
A cardboard box would be a joke. Even double boxed would be a joke.
Maybe build a wooden crate?

: ^ )

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Re: shipping a head

Post by Les Schubert » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:53 pm

I would bolt a piece of 1/4” plywood to the gasket surface. Probably a layer of tape on the gasket Surface first. Then double layer box it in cardboard with LOTS of tape.

big2bird
First Name: Jeffrey
Last Name: Hausey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Early 23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51193
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by big2bird » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:30 pm

My Z head from Lang's fared just fine in a thick wall cardboard box.
I am with Les. Cut a piece of masonite to protect the surface, slip it in a tight box. It will ship fine.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:38 pm

The left thread boss/ear of the water outlet is fragile on a cast head, get that knocked in postage and can break off, wood box would be my first choice.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:13 pm

Keith- bolt it on an oversize piece of plywood. Then get a big piece of carboard and roll the head and plywood up in the cardboard with the cardboard hanging over the two ends of the head by several inches. then tape the roll up, stuff the ends of the roll with folded cardboard, tape that and drop the whole mess in a larger box. Appliance boxes work real well for the donor cardboard because you need a long strip for the roll. Place the head length wise parallel to the cardboard corrugations and it will roll up quite nicely. If you have a local engine rebuilder or machine shop you might check with them for a crankshaft shipping box- they are double wall and long enough to fit the head in.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:20 pm

Ever think of wrapping it in plastic and embedding it in a box full of spray-in foam?
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:20 pm

Keith, Back in September, if I remember correctly, I shipped a Waukesha-Ricardo head from San Antonio to Michigan. I put it inside a double wall cardboard box (actually one box that fit snugly inside another) with styrofoam packing on all sides. Box weighed some 40+ pounds and I shipped by UPS. If someone buys something from you and pays by Paypal, you can get special shipping rates from UPS through Paypal. I didn't do this at first and was shocked by the rates. Then I went through Paypal to get UPS shipping rates and the rate was ONE THIRD of the regular UPS rate!! The box and head arrived to buyer in Michigan in undamaged condition and he was very pleased. He's a member on this forum.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:28 pm

Tim's idea is pretty noteworthy. Brass works basically ships their radiators that way. Foam 'em in a good sturdy cardboard box! Oughta work.
It'll just cost a fortune! Probly on average $65 depending on the distance.

KimDobbins
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Dobbins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring, 1910 touring, 1913 touring, 1916 couplet, 1924 truck.
MTFCA Number: 8243

Post by KimDobbins » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:49 pm

I'd just wrap about 3 layers of cardboard tightly around the head and tape it well. Ive done this many times with no problems.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:35 pm

Whatever you do, don't use any of those foam packing peanuts. They will get shredded and ground up into little pieces and will get into all of the ports and water passages. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:04 am

CudaMan wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:35 pm
Whatever you do, don't use any of those foam packing peanuts. They will get shredded and ground up into little pieces and will get into all of the ports and water passages. :)
10-4 on the Styrofoam peanuts. They are great if your shipping glass headlamp lens, but little else, particularly if its heavy and has places to get into that you'd rather not have to clean.

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133

Post by StanHowe » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:12 pm

Put a tag on it. Take it to the post office and they will charge you $2.90 for a non machinable item. They will print a tag, put it in a sack, put the tag on the sack and insure it for whatever you want. I've done everything from fenders to tires to an engine block that way.

The post office will mail just about anything. Baby Chicks, Rabbits, live plants, tires, you name it -- as long as it is not hazardous or illegal and does not need care along the way. . There are also size limitations.

Murry McMurray ships a semi load of baby chicks three times a week from their hatchery all over the US. Baby chicks -- for you city people -- live on their yoke sack the first three days as they continue to grow and develop. So they don't need food or water for three days. Big box, ship 'em. Several years ago some city woman who took over the post office was going to end the shipping of baby chicks, I think the congressmen got more calls about that than anything else that year. You can still ship baby chicks.

One of my nephews was a supervisor over the small post office in the state he lives. A big part of his job was explaining to small town postmasters that they didn't make the rules, the Post Office made the rules. A few of them were relieved of their position due to their refusal to follow those rules.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:30 am

When shipping anything heavy I want to protect it form being banged around conveyors - people handling too. I always consider how someone would pick it up to read the address and make sure its balanced end to end as bast as possible.
Two layers of heavy cardboard should be enough to protect the gasket face, wrapping (not boxing) it with two more layers of cardboard with some extra card board on the ends as a bumper. Tape the ends with dict tape. The top doesn't need to be flat, just tight and that's where the address label needs to be.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

big2bird
First Name: Jeffrey
Last Name: Hausey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Early 23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51193
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by big2bird » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:02 am

Speaking of shipping, if you insure an item for $1000 at UPS, it is hand carried, and never sees a conveyor.
I ship stereo equipment that way.

Playswithbrass
First Name: Peter
Last Name: McIntyre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster

Post by Playswithbrass » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:19 am

I once shipped something and thought spray in foam a good idea. I don’t think the recipient ever forgot or forgave me. He implied that it was an idea that he would think twice about before he did it to his worst enemy

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:46 am

I believe if one utilizes "spray" foam for a packing material, you would put the part in a plastic bag prior to spraying !

frontyboy
First Name: dick
Last Name: dock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: T sprint cars

Post by frontyboy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:14 pm

I just purchased an 1910 open valve block in New Mexico and had it shipped to Seattle via UPS. The UPS store double boxed it. It arrived with no problems and the outer box was not even torn or damaged. 70 pounds boxed @$450 dollars, a lot less expensive than driving down there and quicker I might add.

frontyboy

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:23 am

If you go the spray foam route... it’ll work great! The foam will fill all the space in the box and so reinforce the box from all sides. It will also allow full support of the part from all angles so it can’t “slide” out of the packing material and poke a hole thru the end of the box.

However, the spray foam is amazingly sticky! And so everything will have to be wrapped in plastic. But the foam is activated via the air, and if the foam is encapsulated in plastic... you get a plastic bag full of liquid foam that won’t kick off! Don’t ask how I know this...🙄

I ship everything with expanding foam (not aerosol) anymore. It’s well worth the effort and cost, as I never worry about my products being damaged during shipment.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464

Post by Susanne » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:50 pm

Ideally, you want to bag the head, evacuate the air out of it (with a vacuum) and seal it off. Then put that in a second bag, evacuate the air out of IT, and seal it. THEN you apply the yellow goo foam of death between the inside of the box and the outside of the head. It will hold the head secure and tight, make it (somewhat) easy to cut the foam off, and with the double bag, will not stick to the head - even if one of the 2 bags fail, you still have a barrier between your fragile bits and that expanding adhesive from Hades.

By the way - any time I deal with *that* stuff, I wear 2 pair of rubber gloves UNDER a third pair of dishwashing gloves. The one time I relied on just regular nitriles - well, this IS a family website! :lol:

Topic author
KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCI Number: 16305

Post by KWTownsend » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:55 pm

I actually thought about using foam...
Since this head is going halfway around the world, I chose an all-wood construction.
The head is attached to bottom of the crate and there is 1/4" clearance on all surrounding points.
head crate 2.jpg
head crate.jpg
Thank you for all the suggestions and input.

: ^ )

Keith

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:42 pm

Before I started using the foam to pack my new Buffalo wheels... I had to ship a wheel to Australia. I spent half a day building a crate to support the wheel and prevent damage under the worst of circumstances. Was not an efficient use of time, and there had to be a better way! No doubt it was the most robust and reliable way to pack something delicate... but it was time my customers didn’t want to afford. The expanding foam has delivered several dozen wheels (and countless other products) since with no damage so far. It’s a pain in the neck to get started using the foam, but if you ship a bunch of delicate stuff... there’s no other way

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic