Warford Transmissions

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

Warford Transmissions

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:50 pm

A couple questions:

How many speeds does a Warford have
does it have reverse
how do you modify the drive shaft
can you buy an already shortened driveshaft

Thank you for your help in advance!

Jonah D'Avella
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Warford Transmissions

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:57 pm

Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:11 pm

How many speeds does a Warford have
3 or 2 speed depending on which one you get. The one in the classifieds you are asking about is 3, under, direct, over. Others are ether over direct or under direct.
does it have reverse
No
how do you modify the drive shaft
Yes the driveshaft and radius rods have to be shortened, again depending on which one you get determines how much shorter the need to be.
can you buy an already shortened driveshaft
Sometimes yes. The KC Warford should be able to supply with those parts(?) to fit the aluminum cased 3 speed in the ad. For the cast iron type 3 speed you would have to find or make.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:30 pm

To add to Mark's response - it was common back in the day to install a Warford in trucks was to add frame extensions thus resulting in not having to shorten d.s., radius rods & brake rods.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by George House » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:42 pm

And when you cut the torque tube to allow for the length of whatever Warford you buy, be very precise in lining up the 4 T tranny holes with the 6 TT differential halves bolt holes before welding....
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:00 pm

T or TT would be the same re the holes.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:20 pm

If you have a warford, you absolutely must have outside brakes. Warfords can easily get caught between gears and when that happens your transmission brake does not work anymore.

Stephen

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Keep in mind, if you ever install an original Warford you MUST have auxiliary brakes on the rear wheels. The Warford neutral disables the band brake and sometimes can't be shifted into a gear while the car is in motion.
Ask us how we know.
Rich
(Typing at the same time as Stephen)
When did I do that?

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:43 pm

What is a good price for a worford?
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:16 pm

Don't be confused about the Reverse, You will most likely actually have 3 reverse speeds if the Warford has over, direct and under drives. Most alum ones I have seen are the 3 speed type. If you can afford and plan to drive a lot consider the new Layne ones. I have had a an original alum one for many thousands of miles and really love it! Some are a bit noisy but mine has got quieter the more I drive it. Maybe it's my old age hearing but I will always have a Warford in whatever T I drive.
I can never decide which I like better, the U/D for a parade or in the neighborhood and parking lots up to about 25 or the O/D when I like to slow the engine rpm for higher speed driving.

You asked about the price of the used ones. I have seen lots of them priced pretty reasonable around 500 and a few less and a lot more asking over 750. The install with your own parts is not really that difficult but many come complete.

The Warford is a very durable unit and even with a lot of wear and abuse will continue perform. All the bearings are available except one small center one which does have a workaround and there are a few hoarders like me that have some spares. The gears are darn near indestructable! IMHO. I keep checking my oil for any evidence of metal wear but no matter how many times I grind the gears on a bad shift I have never found anything!

Good luck on your search if you decide.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:25 pm

"no matter how many times I grind the gears on a bad shift I have never found anything!" LOL Me too! Well at least no chunks small enough to drain out. ;)

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Auxiliary transmissions can be real handy. Particularly for real slow driving in parades, climbing super steep hills, or lower rpm at high speeds on flat to moderate terrain. That said, I highly recommend getting the T running well and fully sorted out with a stock drivetrain and build your driving skills before adding complexity. My first T was an assembled 23-25 touring car. I drove the heck out of that car for about 25 years. It did local joy rides, club tours, regional tours and even a few national tours. No Ruckstell or aux transmission and it was a happy car up to about 40 miles per hour and would go faster if needed but was busy and unhappy at the prospect. It took me about two years to work out some bugs and be confident to go anywhere any time the mood struck me. I had all the fairly common problems - poor radiator and timers and coils gave me fits (I didn't have the tools or knowledge to keep them right). I had babbitt thrust washers in the rear axle that failed and cost me a ring and pinion gear, most of the front axle and steering was in need of some love, and while I was very familiar with working on 50's and 60's cars I'd never tackled anything this primative. Settled out, that touring car would climb a sustained 10% grade with two people in the car and cruise happily all day long. It was wonderful and the only things on the car that were not original T were Rocky Mountain brakes and for several years a distributor.

Oh, while the Warford is the most common aux tranny, the Muncie, Jumbo Giant, Chicago and several others all provide the same functionality. If/when you add a transmission, get your brakes first and then get the best condition that you can find and afford for the transmission.

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:48 pm

What is better, a Warford or the ruxtell?
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Personally I would much rather have a ruckstell. A ruckstell is an integral unit in the rear axle and requires no modifications to any part of the car to install except a hole in the floor for the shifter. A warford bolts onto the back of the stock transmission and must be supported to prevent the weight of the warford from causing misalignment issues in the engine. A ruckstell doesn't have this issue. A ruckstell is also much easier to shift and does not have a neutral as long as it's not worn out. Plus every part for a ruckstell is available brand new. No parts are made for warford.

Stephen

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:43 pm

I run three Ruckstell equipped cars and another with a KC Warford. I really like the Ruckstells but I love the KC Warford. The Warford under drive is about equal to the Ruckstell but you have the over drive with the KC Warford. Either one really improves the T's driveability. As stated, with either one you must install external brakes.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:36 am

Jonah, one is not better than the other. They are two different animals. The Rux is a 2 speed rear end. The Warford or other brands of Aux transmissions are added into the driveline.

What Walt said is good. The most important thing is to know and make sure your T is in good mech condition and you are comfortable driving it. Actually the shifting of either is not difficult and I really like the idea that I DO have a neutral which I use a lot. most importantly when I'm starting the car...crank start only... There is no danger of my car ever jumping into gear when stepping on the running board and the brake/clutch lever isn't properly set!

I believe the biggest issue lots of guy have is the fact that you must alter the original driveline to install the Aux tranny. I was lucky to find mine complete. It is a good idea to add a support for the Warford but many of the Alum ones were not originally.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

tvw
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: H
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 22 touring

Post by tvw » Thu May 26, 2022 8:07 am

What is the oil level in a Warford? I filled my cast iron 2 speed to the bottom of the oil fill hole and it leaks out the plug with the cotter pin. Did I put too much in or do I have a significant leak?

TXGOAT2
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu May 26, 2022 9:26 am

One additional advantage of a Warford vs a Ruxtell is that the Warford does not add to unsprung weight. However, the Warford requires a shorter driveshaft, which makes the arc the rear axle moves in when the rear spring is compressed smaller. Neither is a significant problem.

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu May 26, 2022 9:43 am

tvw wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:07 am
What is the oil level in a Warford? I filled my cast iron 2 speed to the bottom of the oil fill hole and it leaks out the plug with the cotter pin. Did I put too much in or do I have a significant leak?
Please start a new post. What plug with cotter pin? I am not aware of any plug with a cotter pin. What lube are you using?
When you start a new post, please post a photo if you can.
Last edited by Mark Gregush on Thu May 26, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu May 26, 2022 9:47 am

Plug with cotter pin may be a vent. (?) If it's in the wrong place it will leak.

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu May 26, 2022 10:21 am

Any venting on an original Warford, should be through the shifter or shift rails on the top side. The cluster gear shaft on the Jumbo Giant is held in place with a cotter pin. Those are the only two, besides Ruckstell's that I have worked with.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TXGOAT2

Post by TXGOAT2 » Thu May 26, 2022 10:25 am

Could a Warford accumulate oil from the Ford transmission? If so, a drilled filler plug with a cottor pin in the hole could allow any excess oil to drain off.

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu May 26, 2022 11:26 am

That could be what's going on. Guess if the 4th main is leaking really bad, engine oil could fill the housing between the back of the engine and transmission, then leaking through the transmission main input shaft bearing. But that would be a good amount of oil to do so. A weep hole in the front nose of the mount should take care of that. The 4th would be lubed by engine oil, and front input shaft bearing by transmission lube. Any oil from the engine leaking past the 4th, is wasted anyway, so may as well just drain off before going into the transmission. There is no u-joint between the two, so really does not need grease packed in there, it would not be going it the output/input shaft where they mate.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)

Post by babychadwick » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:09 am

My first T had a warford and no outside brakes. Now I know what you are going to say and I've said the same that outside brakes make the car safer as it is unsafe to drive without. If the inability to pull the parking brake is a determining factor and braking must be done via foot then a simple cable from the pedal to the brake cam will do the trick. Remember a warford in neutral does not mean no brakes it simply means no foot brake. While on the topic the tranny brake should operate so that you can shift into gear in neutral (not moving), without it there is enough drag to insure one end of the tranny is spinning while the other is not. The tranny brake then must be adjusted perfect with the inside and outside brakes so all 3 function as one at the same time. I found on my speedster I could easily lock the rear wheels with the foot (well one wheel) or lever but on my Mom's it was much more work with her outside brakes. A better system on hers of course but more effort.

In regards to warford vs ruckstel the warford has overdrive so if you want to cruise and keep the rpms down it opens options. The ruckstel offers quick shifts. When I build the "Baby Chadwick" I look to use both with a 3:1 rear. Most of the driving will be done in direct where I can downshift the ruckstel, hills/parades underdrive where if I downshift the ruckstel I can comfortably crawl up a hill in high, and overdrive for the open straight highway.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic