Carsenegenic??

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

Carsenegenic??

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:57 am

What is the spindle bushings made of, copper burrulum brass or something else? Copper burrelium is a carsenigenic.
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Carsenegenic??

Post by TWrenn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:09 am

They are brass. Nothing to worry about other than wear and tear. Keep 'em well oiled, or they won't last long!

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:27 am

Actually, they originally were made of bronze, and all the spindle bushings being sold by the major vendors are bronze also. Bronze and brass are actually different materials. Brass wouldn’t last too long as a bushing material in this area.

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:21 am

They may have been bronze originally, but from my past experience they're all brass. Not to argue, just sayin!!

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2713.aspx

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:31 am

According to Wikipedia, finished items of beryllium copper present no known health hazard. Extensive contact with dust, shavings and fumes may result in lung ailments, and the Cancer Institute has classified the material as a carcinogen, but then again, if you read warning labels, nearly every substance known to man causes cancer . . . in California.

Seriously, exposure to most "dangerous" substances usually requires a ridiculous level of exposure to cause harm.

FWIW, metallurgists and foundrymen classify all copper alloys as "bronze", making the distinction that "brass" (red, yellow, naval, etc. ) is usually decorative, and bronze alloys are functional. Most alloys contain varying proportions of tin and zinc, and other amendments depending on the purpose of items made. Statuary bronze is usually copper and tin only.
"Get a horse !"

big2bird
First Name: Jeffrey
Last Name: Hausey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Early 23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51193

Post by big2bird » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:34 am

Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in laboratory animals.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:51 am

I have a wire with about 6 or 8 original bushings. Each of them has the Ford script.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:00 am

My grandfather and two of my grandmother's brothers had a copper mine in Bingham Canyon Utah. This was back in the early 1900's when they tunneled in, before the large open pit mine was established. All three of them died by the time they reached their 40's from breathing the dust in the mine.
Norm

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:07 am

Brass, alloy of copper and zinc, of historical and enduring importance because of its hardness and workability. The earliest brass, called calamine brass, dates to Neolithic times; it was probably made by reduction of mixtures of zinc ores and copper ores. In ancient documents, such as the Bible, the term brass is often used to denote bronze, the alloy of copper with tin. ~ Britannica

Are any metals other than mercury and lead significantly dangerous?

Some Model T parts are brass and some are bronze, but some catalogues typically call the bronze ones brass. #2528 thrust washers are bronze. Chaffin's catalogue calls them bronze. Snyder's and Lang's call them brass.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1

Post by Adam » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:15 am

Steve hit the nail on the head! Yes, the suppliers do call things brass when they are really bronze!

I’m sure if you call Steve or Don and ask if they are brass or bronze, they will tell you “bronze”...

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 am

Beryllium
Beryllium-copper

Two materials which I've overseen the machining, abrading and lapping of as well as personally handled daily for over 35 years prior to (healthy) retirement

I've pretty much slowed down or stopped posting, but this thread could easily go off the rails with excessive worry or honestly ignorant dismissiveness, so am posting this to fill out what the internet cannot provide you with regard to specifics...

Here is the truth:

* Not everyone can become sick; only individuals who become sensitized can become ill with chronic berylliosis - a lung disease
* Individuals contemplating or actually working in fabrication recieve a blood test to determine if sensitized and or lung spyrometry and chest x-ray on an annual basis to determine if affected
* Safeguards and ventilation are put in place during machining operations which you would not believe.
* Abrasive operations are performed in a negative-pressure system equipped with EPA approved and inspected ventilation and filtering systems
* Depending on the area or operation, machinists or technicians don/doff protective clothing over their street clothing before entering/leaving the work area. The level of clothing protection will vary between foundries and shops as each makes their choice for the amount and type of work being performed.
* All forms of beryllium, HIPPED or unHIPPED, alloyed or not (copper, etc) have the potential to harm sensitized individuals
* Secretaries at Beryllium machine shops and foundries who never in their life entered the manufacturing facility or ever touched the stuff are known to have become ill and due to this, testing is now generally performed on all individuals working in the building.
* Unscreened individuals, visitors, dignitaries or the President of the United States are barred from entry to these facilities. It just isn't done
*Visitors to the lobby or meeting rooms of these facilities are logged in, kept track of, and limited in their time and visit count for the year
*Handling of finished, pickled/passivated beryllium products poses no known health hazard.
*Breaking a finished part and exposing frangible edges or otherwise abrading, filing, sawing or in any way disturbing the finish can be hazardous unless confined to a dedicated space designed for one or more of the above mentioned operations
* Dust from material containing as little as 2% beryllium (beryllium-copper) has now been shown to cause illness in sensitized individuals

Beryllium-copper is a very good electrical conductor and provides great strength to the base copper contact. It is most commonly used in electrical switches where it is completely inert and safe. I am unaware of any designed use of this material in a bearing situation, but then the world is full of clever or stupid fellows who I have no knowledge of or control over.

Pure beryllium is not something the average guy/gal will ever encounter unless they are engaged in the machining or assembling guidance systems for some military aircraft guidance systems, strategic weapons or mirrors for space telescopes, etc., and if that is the case, they know full well that they are handling it.

Spindle bushings are not made of beryllium-copper, and if they were, they certainly would not cost just $4.75 each...think many multiples of that cost.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:33 am

You'll see the California Proposition 65 warning on about everything as a default because just about anything, used inappropriately, can be harmful and its impossible to test everything. So to avoid lawsuits its being put on everything.
" Proposition 65 requires businesses to provide warnings to Californians about significant exposures to chemicals that cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm". Here are some carcinogens you are likely exposed to - Welding fumes, Wood dust, leather dust, processed meat, paint orders, diesel engine exhaust, acetaldehyde (occurs naturally in coffee, bread, and ripe fruit), ethanol (alcoholic beverages), even regular cooking in cast iron skillets. One T owners need not worry about is "New Car Smell" that's really plastics oxidizing.
Too much of a good thing is bad for you
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115

Post by DanTreace » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:58 am

Frank

Amen to your post! As a former business owner dealing with mfg. products to the consumer, the CA. law had high impact.

That is why you see printed warnings on labels of most things made of metal or other chemicals. The warning label, if not present on the item, is clear basis for a law suit, failure to warn , and you are guilty. Plus the law is far reaching, as anyone, in any state can file a lawsuit against you if your product as any ingredient on the Prop 65 list of chemicals or materials! We live in a society of blame and sue.

Who enforces Proposition 65?
The California Attorney General's Office enforces Proposition 65. Any district attorney or city attorney (for cities whose population exceeds 750,000) may also enforce Proposition 65. In addition, any individual acting in the public interest may enforce Proposition 65 by filing a lawsuit against a business alleged to be in violation of this law.

Lawsuits have been filed by the Attorney General’s Office, district attorneys, consumer advocacy groups, and private citizens and law firms.

What are the penalties for violating Proposition 65?
Penalties for violating Proposition 65 by failing to provide warnings can be as high as $2,500 per violation per day.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:29 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 am

I've pretty much slowed down or stopped posting...
Hey Scott, don't be a stranger.

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:29 pm

A perfectly serious comment: One deadly carcinogen we all have exposure to daily is sunlight. It kills thousands every year (tens of thousands maybe).
Don't laugh and don't deny - make sure you wear a hat, cover up and use sun screen. Melanoma (the cancer sunlight causes) is NOT a pretty or a kind cancer.

I am sure we all manage things like this daily. Worrying about the latest issue from California will shorten your life as well. Stress and worry is a proven life shortener and a carcinogen too - several cancers are linked to stress and worry.

Be sensible, think about things, then get on with life.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:35 pm

Anybody remember what happened to the Marlboro man?

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:46 pm

I heard he is still living with his wife of 33 years after ending his Magnum PI TV series?

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:47 pm

He died...

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:53 pm

From Snopes:
Any claim about “the” Marlboro Man is somewhat indefinite... as many different men have portrayed the rugged-looking cowboys featured in Marlboro cigarette advertisements since 1954. An Oklahoma native named Darrell Winfield (who passed away in January 2015) was the main Marlboro Man from the mid-1970s onwards; but dozens of other men (many of them “real” cowboys) have also modeled for television commercials, magazine and newspaper advertisements, billboards, and other advertising materials promoting Marlboro brand of cigarettes over the last sixty years. A few of those men, all long-time smokers, have died of diseases of the lungs (although most of them lived at least as long as the average life expectancy of their time):

Model David Millar, one of the original Marlboro Men who appeared in television commercials for the cigarette brand in the 1950s, died of emphysema at the age of 81 in 1987:

[Neighbor Stephen] Taylor said Millar smoked, but had quit about 20 years ago. He also quit horses after his early stints with Marlboro.
“They used to boost him up by a rope and put him down on the horse because he didn’t like horses,” said Charles Dudley, a longtime friend.
Dudley added that Millar often said he was “the only Marlboro Man who doesn’t smoke, drink or like horses.”
Although Millar had quit [smoking] about 1965, he had smoked for “probably 40 to 45 years” before that, Dudley said.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:58 pm

big2bird I just about fell out when I read your post———THANK YOU so much.

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:33 am

Bringing this topic to the top again, my dad was a helicopter mechanic in the navy on an aircraft carrier. he said that all the bushings they used were burrilium copper.
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:36 am

While some bushings are made of beryllium, there are many other materials bushings are made of. Brass, bronze, aluminum, steel, stainless steel, etc.
The material depends on the application, RPM, size, expected life span, on and on. Today, spindle bushings are brass.

Good Luck,
Terry

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:24 am

Cabin-Corona fever is setting in here Jonah, so I'll be funny here and say, if you're concerned about any carcinogens with your T parts, just DON'T EAT them, and you should be fine!! :lol:

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 am

Haven't tasted any yet, I just make sure I soak all the items in hand sanitizer before I use them and wear a hazmat suit and a respirator before I work on it or drive it.
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:19 am

My hazmat suit
Attachments
Screenshot_20210115-111829_Messages.jpg
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:39 am

Love it! Ur as goofy as I am!! :lol:

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:06 pm

Lots of falsehood in advertising. I had to laugh when my half Italian dad used to say “ look at the crying Italian” when the crying Indian littering commercial came on...when I asked him what he meant, he said, oh that’s Iron Eyes Cody, aka Espera Oscar de Corti”

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:43 pm

Everything gives you cancer
There's no cure. There's no answer ...

Few acknowledge the cancer risk from carcinogenic music.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic