Rebuilding A 1927 Starter

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BLB27
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Brakke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 coupe
MTFCA Number: 31192

Rebuilding A 1927 Starter

Post by BLB27 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:05 pm

I have removed my 1927 starter prior to having my engine rebuild. I could just buy a one, but I want my grandsons to have the experience of rebuilding it. We have the Model T Tips video showing how to do it. It appears that we need to use a "Growler". Are these available to buy or rent?

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Rebuilding A 1927 Starter

Post by HalSched » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:49 pm

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:39 am

Depending on how deep you plan on going into a rebuild, most home shops will not have the tools or setup to do a rebuild. The growler is the easy part, better auto parts stores might have one. If you are going to install the new bushing it will need to be reamed in alignment with the bearing at the other end (I use the ball bearing and spacer) and the end of snout were the Bendix rides. If the field coils are good they may just need a cleaning, if bad you'll need to remove and replace the pole screws which requires a pole screw removing tool, which is also used to install and seat the poles tight in the case so there is clearance for the armature. If you have not watched the above video, do so. I think the current snout end bushing has been changed, the flange end is cut off flush and bushing is shortened enough to install the seal. The cut off flange just acts as a thrust washer. The bushing/seal setup shown in the video, you would have to bore the inside piece larger then the shaft and install it and the seal after the installed bushing was reamed. Seal can't be installed when the bushing is reamed, it would tear it up. With no instructions in the kit, I installed both bushings reamed then removed the inside bushing, installed the seal, reinstalled the inner bushing piece, never was quite true.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:25 am

Go to your local alternator-generator rebuild shop. They can check it on their growler pretty quick.
That’s what I did. I’ve rebuilt 3 and got lucky as the armatures were good.

Chris Bamford
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Bamford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Speedster 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 17817

Post by Chris Bamford » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:11 am

John kuehn wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:25 am
Go to your local alternator-generator rebuild shop. They can check it on their growler pretty quick...
There's a third-generation auto electric shop nearby and whenever I need an armature growled, I drop in with a box of donuts and leave five minutes later, job complete.

Andy Loso
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Loso
MTFCA Number: 346
MTFCI Number: 119

Post by Andy Loso » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:54 am

Bruce,

If you want you can ship it to me to test or I believe I would have a spare one to lend or if you want it, to purchase. You have my email and phone # if you wish to call me. Mark Gregush make several good points, so if you need help we have all the tooling necessary, just rebuilt 3 of them this weekend.

Thanks,
Andy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic