Factory tops

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Factory tops

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:02 pm

I am currently installing a new top on a 20 touring. So far I have the pads and the straps installed. I am in the process of stitching the pads, then will install the windbreaker and the rear panel and finally the top.
The process with two men part of the time has taken a few days.
Now for the question? How did they install the top on a moving assembly line? It seems to me that perhaps they had another station in the factory where the top was set up and two men worked on it and then it would be moved to the assembly ling and merely fastened to the body. Even tacking the rear panel to the body would take some time to complete. I can't imagine how it could be completely assembled on the line.
Does anyone know?
Norm

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Re: Factory tops

Post by JohnM » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:31 pm

That's a good question. I suspect that it was mostly just the chassis that moved down the line and had parts added to it. Individual parts such as assembling wheels, the engine, and attaching the top to the body, would be done at stationary locations. If you remember seeing movies of the body being lowered to the chassis, the top is already on it.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:46 pm

If you can find a copy of the book "Ford Methods and the Ford Shops", published in 1915, there is a chapter in there showing how the tops were installed. It was done on a moving line.
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

George Hand
First Name: George
Last Name: Hand
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 open express, 1920 touring, 1926 tudor-lisenced and insured, 1921tt project 1922 fendered chassis, 192x tt dootle bug 192xengine w/winch projects
MTFCA Number: 28114
MTFCI Number: 21834

Post by George Hand » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:38 pm

I had read somewhere maybe Bruce's book, that body's provided by vendors may have been received already trimmed with upholstery did that include the folding top?? George

Ken Buhler
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Buhler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49471
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ken Buhler » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:39 am

The top was built on a jig at the upholstery department with the rear panel left long for installation. After pulling into shape, it was trimmed.
Ken Buhler
Work honestly
Stay true to your word
Get the job done right

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:13 am

As with all the Ford Model T factory processes, they were constantly improving the time of assembly, early cars with more irons and top size took longer, later one-man tops were assembled faster.

Ier506 (800x532).jpg

Later assembly with parts stacked on left of line, note the top irons with covered bows, then behind boxes of cut and sewn ready to fit top covers, as the body moved the top was assembled.
!C!Frr-!CGk~$(KGrHqN,!hUEzeNT8HLbBNBrh4sf,g~~0_3.jpg
And here the finished body with top is on overhead carrier going to the line for the body drop.

Side curtains also fitted on the assembly line.
!C!Frti!!2k~$(KGrHqR,!l4Ez+39Tr4OBNBrh-SWw!~~0_3.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!oUF!chvy2QyBQRW-9guV!~~60_57.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:54 am

Thank you! After working for a long time on a top which had already been stitched and partially assembled by Clastique, I am merely installing on the car, I wondered how they ever did it on a moving production line! Now I know.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic