Speedster Project Update year #6 Its that time of year

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Speedster Project Update year #6 Its that time of year

Post by dobro1956 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:26 pm

Well its that time of year again. Here in the hills of Arkansas the weather is getting cold and the wood is cut and ready to go. My T work season is black Friday till Chickasha in March. So here we go with year #6. This was supposed to be a 3 year project but it seems to take me longer to get things done these days. I really hope to finish in time for Chickasha (if we have it). My main stumbling block was the engine. I decided to use a Rajo four valve head, and it has been a up hill climb all the way. As some of you may remember I have blown 2 head gaskets on the engine. I have pulled the engine twice. Everything looked good each time. ???? I originally had the head machined at a local machine shop, so I thought it was OK. After two blown head gaskets and a lot of checking and head scratching I think the head was machined poorly by my local shop. I found several hard spots or inclusions in the cast iron head. Even though they looked perfectly smooth and I could not measure any problems, I think the hard spots caused the milling cutter to "climb" and then "dip" as it went over the hard spots. So I took a chance and had the head re-machined on a production type belt sander for modern heads. I really liked the finish it gave me. So I re-used one of the old head gaskets and then removed the pistons from the engine to be able to inspect the cylinder walls again. I made a test setup to do a pressure test of the head and water jacket to see why it was leaking at the two front head bolts and getting water into #1 cylinder. I was able to pressurize the water jacket to 60 psi and hold it overnight without any leaks. So Im hoping the re-surfacing of the head solved my problems. Im currently at the stage of putting the engine back together at this time. I am also building a "test stand" to start and run the engine on. Im tired of pulling the engine out of the speedster. The pistons are back in, and I hope to put the head on tomorrow or the next day. If the engine works out OK. The rest of the car is basically done. Just a lot of little details to wind up.

For those who are not familiar with the speedster project update Ill post a link to a thread with a lot of photos. I also have done many other threads of various details and steps in the project. If you want to see more of the project just do a google search using the words ... speedster project update Donnie Brown mtfca .... There will be more than you may want to read. :) :)

Ill be posting more pictures as I go along, and maybe another video when I get it running. Thanks for putting up with my slow progress thru the years :)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 1487043839

Below is a photo of my wood piles for this years work season and a few pics of the leaking head gasket. Also there is a pic of an unusual view of a model T cylinder showing the huge Rajo 4 valve intake valve.
zz1.JPG
zz2.JPG
zz3.JPG
zz4.JPG
zz6.JPG
Last edited by dobro1956 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Topic author
dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Re: Speedster Project Update year #6 Its that time of year

Post by dobro1956 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:28 pm

zz7.JPG
zz8.JPG

got10carz
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Meixner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,13,14,19,23,25,26,27
MTFCA Number: 28023
MTFCI Number: 20471

Post by got10carz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:21 pm

I admire anyone that has a vision, and sticks with it to the end. Good luck

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by MWalker » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:28 am

It sounds as if you have it going your way, Donnie. Hang in there!

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:14 pm

Great to see the advancement of your great build. Looking forward to seeing more. Thanks for sharing jw
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi
In regards to the engine test stand, here are a couple of pictures of my test stand water pipes.
Just made from some plumbing fittings and a little machining to make the hoses fit. Now I can run for 5-10 minutes without over heating!!
39CDE1D5-7D90-423C-AD39-E4AE142AE08E.jpeg
5E7B3306-E288-4416-A43E-AB8BA2C24ACF.jpeg

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Quickm007 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:34 pm

That's really cool Less!!!
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Les, That is a good idea, I may just mount my radiator to my test stand for now, but I think I need something like what you use to add to my test stand set-up.

I was able to clean up the head and paint it yesterday. The paint dried very fast in the heated shop, so I was able to mount the head today. It sure looks nice back on the engine after sitting for several months on the work bench. So after a little detail re-painting of the engine itself Ill be able to move to the test stand. It sure feels good to be back in the shop and working on fun things again.

Notice the two head bolts in the center of the head. (the silver colored ones) They are located under the rocker towers. So it requires the removal of the rocker towers each time I re-torque. Not really that hard to do but its a pain in the butt.

Ill be posting more in the days to come ....

Thanks for all the interest and input from all of ya'll (Im from the hills of Arkansas, so ya'll is correct) :)
zzzzzzzzzzzzz (1).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzz (2).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzz (3).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzz (4).JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic