Stevens Reamer Set.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Stevens Reamer Set.

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:17 pm

I am not one to normally post a link to something that is listed on Ebay, but I came across this while updating my search to help eliminate the weekly Ecklers dump and thought it deserved some notice. A nice looking set and the axle reaming fixture (although missing the tapered reamer) has the original instruction sheet and card saying how it can be used to repair the Brake Shoe Support Bolt hole in the rear axle housing. No connection to it at all, I just thought some others might like to see it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-FORD- ... 4902.l9144

stevens.jpg
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Stevens Reamer Set.

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:05 pm

$387 is a lot, but it looks like about twenty items. $19.35 per item isn't so bad.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:43 pm

I've been watching this. I already have both sets so I'm just curious what it brings. Its hard to see the condition of the reamers but they look pitted to me. I have contacted the seller asking for better pics or what the condition is. But I have not received an answer yet.

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:19 pm

I have a set of new reamers coming for my original frame. Unfortunately, the postal service is three days late getting them to me. :roll:

Stephen

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:46 am

I looked at it to, but because it was in Canada could not see the shipping cost, which might be on the high side.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:14 am

If anyone here buys this Stevens Front Axel tool, I have a few sets of the missing tooling still. Thanks Dan

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981

Post by Quickm007 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:55 am

Hi Mark,

I don't know the guy but he's leaving an hour and half from my home. I could pick-up at his home for you and shipping to you at low cost if you want.

Just saying.

Mario
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:11 am

Thank for the offer. It's is outside what my budget would allow, so was just commenting on the fact the shipping cost was not showing. I have some KR Wilson babbitting tools that I need to get taken care of/modified, so am saving my $'s for that. :)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:04 pm

For those that have one or just may be interested I transcribed the instructions from the sheet that was show in one of the photos in the listing (misspelling included), as well as the card saying it can be used for the Brake Shoe Support Bolt Hole.

DIRECTION FOR USING
STEVENS AXLE BUSHING OUTFIT
-----0o0oo-----

First test the edge of the axle yoke with a file, for the axles on some recent models of Ford are case hardened. If you do find that the axle is hardened, it is necessary to draw the temper by heating the metal with a blow torch until the metal turns a deep blue and then allowing it to cool slowly.

When both arms of the yoke are to be re-bushed, it is usually advisable to fit the UPPER Bushing first.

Always be sure to slip the small thrust washer over the shank of the reamer or tap before inserting it in the fixture to prevent the tool from cutting back into the fixture.

After setting the reamer and fixture in place in the axle, turn the feed screw so that it produces only a very slight pressure then begin to ream, first treating the cutting surfaces of the tool with a liberal supply of lard oil.

While reaming, the feed screw may be given a quarter turn every time the reamer completes one revolution.

Do not begin to apply pressure on the reamer until it has been given several turns, otherwise the edges may be jammed or danaged.

The UPPER Bushing should be fitted so its edge is 1/32 inch above the surface of the yoke to allow pulling home when bolt is tightened.

When fitting LOWER Bushing the position of the fixture is reversed so the feed screw is at the top. While reaming out the old threads, give the feed screw a quarter turn per revolution; but after the reaming is completed, apply pressure only for the few turns of the tap and then the tap will follow in without pressure.

After tapping, the LOWER Bushing is screwed in from the under side of yoke. The last few threads of the bushing run full, so that the bushing will jam into place.

For inserting bushing – run the castellated nut on the spindle bolt with the castles toward the head of the bolt. Then run the bushing on the spindle bolt below the nut using the nut as a jam. Use a wrench on the Spindle bolt head to screw bushing in and jam it home. Back off the castellated nut and the spindle will be easily removable.

CAUTION -- BE SURE TO USE PLENTY OF OIL ON THE CUTTING TOOLS.

And here is the text for the card:

The threaded LOWER Axle Bushing and the Combined Reamer and Tap in this Outfit can also be used on worn Brake Shoe Support Bolt Hole Ford No. 2567.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:41 pm

When someone buys a set of Stevens Front Axle tooling from me they get a copy of those instructions along with a thrust washer.
The washer is most important. Without it you will ruin your frame.
The part about using the threaded inserts for brake shoe bolts comes from the Stevens Catalog.
They also say to use the Stevens Front Axle tool on Chevys too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic