Car cover question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Car cover question

Post by RGould1910 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:48 am

What should I use to cover a freshly painted car that will be parked in the garage over the winter. My concerns are I don't want dust to settle on the paint and don't want the cover to scratch the paint.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: Car cover question

Post by Original Smith » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:11 pm

I get mine from Don Lang. They are made by Covercraft.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:31 pm

There are lots of debates about covering, waxing and/or washing a newly painted car - all about allowing the paint to cure (gassing). Some insist its okay if the paint was baked on others argue it doesn't matter.
AND there are also debates about covering a car (old paint) for a long period of time because of dampness etc. I'd rig a tent
PVC pipe hanging from the ceiling and tape plastic drop cloths all around. Next year use the car cover.
Also follow the procedures to prevent critters from nesting in exhaust, seats etc
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:20 pm

If the car is inside, out of the wind and weather, I'd just use some old sheets. They'll keep the dust off while allowing the car to "breathe." a cover designed to protect a car outside would be overkill.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:48 pm

A few people I know favor old parachutes. Cheap (I guess still?) if you know a source (I do not offhand). The material is lightweight, soft, strong. Make certain it is clean! The material won't scratch, but contaminants in it can. It can under certain conditions trap moisture between the material and fresh paint and result in a "staining" effect, which is more likely with paint that has not yet fully cured. So be aware of this and the storage conditions.
Parachutes are fairly expensive material that MUST be well cared for, and need to be discarded after some amount of use or time. One used to be able to buy them from the old army/navy surplus stores.
Just a thought?

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:29 pm

IMO, you are wise to cover your car in the garage. Not only does the right cover reduce the accumulation of dust, it helps prevent scratches caused by people and other things moving around the garage and accidently rubbing against the car.

California Car Cover company makes a special cover material called "duststop" specifically for indoor usage.
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:53 pm

Oldav8tor wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:20 pm
If the car is inside, out of the wind and weather, I'd just use some old sheets. They'll keep the dust off while allowing the car to "breathe." a cover designed to protect a car outside would be overkill.
I like the sheets idea, they breathe. another option just light weight plastic drop cloth (easy on off- get a new one when dirty). But I wouldn't have either touch the new paint. Car covers are nice but if its inside a garage why the expense.
Attachments
er2.jpg
er2.jpg (32.92 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic