What is a Warford ???

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Michael Davis
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Center door

What is a Warford ???

Post by Michael Davis » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:17 am

I ran across this in some T stuff I purchased. What is it? Warford 420-1

Thanks
Mike
Attachments
thumbnail (13).jpg
thumbnail (10).jpg
thumbnail (11).jpg

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: What is a Warford ???

Post by Tim Rogers » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:29 am

It's a common aftermarket add-on transmission for the Model T. Gives you under & over drive.
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:32 am

2 speed aftermarket transmission made by Warford for Ford Model T and TT's. More then likely direct and underdrive but could be direct and overdrive. Different gearing but like a Ruckstell if the underdrive unit, would give a gear ratio lower then Ford low and a gear ratio in between Ford low and high.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:48 am

That particular Warford transmission will give you: Underdrive - Neutral - Direct drive. It isn’t as desirable as the larger “Three speed” which would also give you an overdrive, but still has some value. I’ve seen several sell over the years in the range of $75 - $300. They are popular for use in some T snowmobile setups.

The big “what if” is what it looks like inside. Remove the top cover with the shifter on it and see what it looks like inside. If there is no rust or water damage inside and the teeth look decent, then it’s probably easily restorable and usable. If it looks good inside, and you are just getting into T’s, it might be best to hang onto it for a while in case you might want to install it someday.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:03 am

If you decide to install the Warford, be sure to install auxiliary brakes on the rear wheels, because it is possible to get into a neutral position which would give you freewheeling. The transmission brake will be out of service if you go into freewheeling, so imperative to have good rear wheel brakes.
With a Warford you must shorten the driveshaft and rear radius rods, so if you do plan to install it, you would be wise to keep your original rear axle assembly and install another with a shortened driveshaft. That way, if you have trouble with the Warford, you will easily be able to convert back to a Ford rear end.
Ruckstell is different. It mounts on the rear carrier and you need to shorten the outer tube for the left side of the rear axle and install the Ruckstell parts. The actual axles and differential gears are Ford parts. Only the carrier and left side of the differential are changed with Ruckstell. I like to keep one spare original Ford rear end on hand just in case I have a problem with the Ruckstell for same reasons.
You should also have auxiliary brakes with a Ruckstell.
Norm

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:20 am

When did I do that?

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:44 am

Hi Michael,
Meassure the front square drive if it is 13/16" it needs a adapter & U/joint to hook to the T transmission making it longer. If the square is 7/8" then it will bolt direct to the T transmission. You will probably need to turn the shifter around to clear the seat.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:03 pm

I have an extension and straight shaft if you need one for the adaption.

Hank

Topic author
Michael Davis
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Center door

Post by Michael Davis » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:24 pm

Thanks everyone for the information.

Mike

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:26 pm

Your Warford is a 2 speed most likely under drive. Warford called these the Warford T in some advertising that I have seen. I have one in my 1916 Model T Express. My Warford is, 2:1 under drive, natural, direct drive. The bearings are available except the tapered pocket bearing that is obsolete. The gear change lever on yours has been modified, it should be straight. Because these are shorter thain the 3 speed Warford, about 8 inches virs 12 inches, the stock streaght shifter clears the seat and cross sill. If you use a Warford make sure to add rear brakes to your Model T for safety. They are well made and strong and work well plus give you the natural for rolling the car around the shop. They bolt to the T engine directly and take the shortened driveline directly with the T Ujoint.

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by HalSched » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:00 pm

This is the result of an auxiliary transmissio going into neutral going up a hill. This car had no rear (auxiliary) brakes and rolled down the hill backward until it overturned in the ditch on the left side of the road. I was about 3 cars behind him. It was a beautiful car!

Model  T Accident 21949.jpg

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:32 pm

How did the driver and passengers do? The car looks like it can be fixed. I like to have lining on the parking brakes for just that reason.
Norm

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:37 pm

typed = neutral. phone knows best should be natural
So. natural in post really = neutral

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by HalSched » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:42 pm

Norm, I heard the lady (I think wife) had a broken pelvis but I never heard anything beyond that.

AZTerry
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Loftus
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 7379
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by AZTerry » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:32 am

Hello,

I believe I know this car, the owners and about the accident. If I remember correctly this accident happened close to fifteen years ago.

First the husband, wife and their dog all survived. If I remember correctly the husband was thrown from the car with steering wheel still in his hands and I believe suffered shoulder injuries. The wife stayed in the car with it upside down on her and I do believe the wife suffered the mentioned broken pelvis. The dog sitting on her lap suffered no injuries. The car was re-restored and they all participated in many more events.

NOW! The car DID HAVE accessory Rocky Mountain Brakes at the time of the accident. They just did not hold and he could not stop the car from rolling backwards down the hill.

Thank you,
Terry

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:00 pm

You'll love this one https://www.timesherald.com/news/2-hurt ... e4b1e.html
Headline 2 hurt in Chester County crash involving 1912 Ford Model T
....The accident involved a Kia SUV and a 1912 Ford Model T antique automobile at West Doe Run and Mill roads Wednesday morning. The SUV overturned into a storm ditch following the collision, which happened shortly before 10:30 a.m. The passengers of the SUV, which had Delaware plates, were transported to Christiana Hospital. The passengers in the antique vehicle were uninjured. :o it had RMB's
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:12 pm

AZTerry wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:32 am
Hello,
I believe I know this car, the owners and about the accident. If I remember correctly this accident happened close to fifteen years ago.
First the husband, wife and their dog all survived. If I remember correctly the husband was thrown from the car with steering wheel still in his hands and I believe suffered shoulder injuries. The wife stayed in the car with it upside down on her and I do believe the wife suffered the mentioned broken pelvis. The dog sitting on her lap suffered no injuries. The car was re-restored and they all participated in many more events.
NOW! The car DID HAVE accessory Rocky Mountain Brakes at the time of the accident. They just did not hold and he could not stop the car from rolling backwards down the hill.
Thank you,
Terry
Found http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/11 ... 1280458048
By Trebor Fisher on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 04:03 pm:
FROM OUR CLUB NEWS LETTER:
""Hi fellow T friends,> > I just heard some news about one of our own, who needs our thoughts and prayers. Jim and Doris Martin were in an accident in their Model T. I believe the car got stuck in neutral and they rolled backwards down a hill. The car ended up on top of Doris, who is now in the hospital with a broken pelvis and Jim was thrown from the car. He is in a great deal of pain but will survive. Jim and Doris have been active members during our annual Speedster Run. They often travel with their dog who wears goggles. We are hoping to hear that everyone is recovering fine and quickly but keep them in your thoughts. And for those of you who know their dog, he is just fine.""
continuing: ""I just heard that Jim and Doris are doing much better than originally thought. I guess they will be on their way home tomorrow. I will pass on the details as soon as I hear from Jim's daughters. Good thoughts are already working. :-)""
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic