Triple gear bushing failures

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
poorboy1921
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Burton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 21 touring

Triple gear bushing failures

Post by poorboy1921 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:18 am

As I was changing the oil, brass pieces fell out of the drain.
After calling an mechanic, it turns out I had a loose triple gear. Pulled the engine out, to find and fix the damages.
However it seems all 3 of the triple bushing failed in a similar fashion
:?: Why the bushings failed in such a way? :?:
IMAG1130.jpg
This is my 1921 Model T Ford, and photos of the exciting journey and places I travel.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/poorboy1921/

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Triple gear bushing failures

Post by Kerry » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:47 am

Those bushes look to be bronze, no give in that stuff, it's as brittle as cast iron.

PS, just went out to the work shop and grabbed a original Ford triple gear bush out of the scrap bin, beat the crap out of it and bent it every which way, no way it shattered like a biscuit.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:52 am

Could be material, but triple gear bushes are made of z-bronze, get mine from Bob's.

Maybe the clearance was too tight, the bush on the right is stuck and top flange busted off.

Or the face of the bush wasn't fitted, sure looks like full thickness (see arrow) as made, the flange of the bush should project only 006" - .010" over the side of the triple gear, they need to be machined to that fit.

Image 12-12-20 at 9.42 AM.jpeg

Might just be the angle of the photo of those twisted off bushings, but seems to me they are missing the very important oil grooves to allow oil to the bearing surface.

Image 12-12-20 at 9.55 AM.jpeg
Last edited by DanTreace on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:03 am

Appear to be Oilite - sintered bronze

sintered bronze, an engineered material, is not ductile and will fracture easily under the right conditions and is not engineered to take a severe load

cast bronze is ductile and will not fracture easily and is well suited to a pounding or severe load duty
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1

Post by Adam » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:06 am

By the way the broken pieces look, and the way they apparently failed... Something really doesn’t add up here. I’m thinking there may have been some sort of an installation error. But it is really impossible to tell from pictures. Anyone would really need to see the whole assembly in person to make a diagnosis.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115

Post by DanTreace » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:11 am

Scott

Would agree, and that's why likely the oil groove wasn't placed when these non-Ford type bushings were made.

Those bushings have to run on a surface of oil.
Attachments
Oil groove.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:31 am

Scott_Conger wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:03 am
Appear to be Oilite - sintered bronze

sintered bronze, an engineered material, is not ductile and will fracture easily under the right conditions and is not engineered to take a severe load

cast bronze is ductile and will not fracture easily and is well suited to a pounding or severe load duty
Agreed. They may also have been pressed in, in a manner that further exacerbated a poor choice of material. If the bushings were pressed in using a tool with a fairly small step with which to engage the face of the flange, after the bushing was seated against the gear face, any additional "push" would have had the effect of trying to push the flange off of the bushing. At the very least, there would have been residual tension between the flange and the bushing body that, over time & use, caused the flange to separate from a brittle Oilite bushing. The proper way to press the bushing in would have been to use a tool that covers the whole face of the bushing flange. Naturally, all of this is speculation, but it seems to support the situation now at hand.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1

Post by Adam » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:57 am

Like I said, it’s hard to judge from pictures... But it does appear there are no oil grooves in the bushings which may support some of your theories that these bushings may be oillite. Looking at the pictures, the fractures could be crystalized (work hardened) normal bronze bushing material and just look like fractured oillite, or they may indeed be oillite. The major reason that would make me think these “couldn’t possibly be” oillite, is that it would just be downright STUPID to make this particular bushing from oillite (or sintered bronze). This particular bushing would have to be made in a large quantity, which means that it would have very likely had to originally been made and wholesaled by one of the handful of vendors that makes T parts... And they certainly all know better! If it is indeed an oillite bushing, it would be a good thing to know where it originally came from and notify that vendor of their error because the failure rate of oillite triple gear bushings WILL VERY LIKELY be near 100%.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:03 am

If these are sintered bronze, they would not be the first that I've seen used in triple gears. And, if I am not mistaken, these were sold as the correct bushing by at least one supplier in the past.

They would be a poor choice indeed.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

got10carz
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Meixner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,13,14,19,23,25,26,27
MTFCA Number: 28023
MTFCI Number: 20471

Post by got10carz » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:22 am

About 15-20 years ago I received drum bushings that were sintered (oilite). Only makes sense someone made triple gear bushings the same way. By the way I did not use them.

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:07 pm

I have a bag of them that I picked up at an auction, never have used them, no oil groove and they where brittle when I beat on one. I know a few years back there where some that hit the market that where to soft and they wear out quick.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:41 pm

Sintered bronze is a fickle mistress... it's a wonderful material until it work hardens, then it's an "if and when" proposition - I have some machinery that dates back to the late 1800s that is as amazing as when it was machined, running bronze castings and bushings... I also have some WW2 era stuff that, similarly, you would think is 21st century. Unfortunately, however, I have seen others do what yours has done, with no apparent rhyme or reason.

I would chalk it up to the nature of the beast. Amazing stuff, but after a century of service you really are rolling the dice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic