Drill Bit Quality

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Drill Bit Quality

Post by 2nighthawks » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Yesterday 12/12, Ignacio Valdes started a post entitled "Drilling Steel?". Ignacio eventually solved his problem of difficulty in drilling steel, apparently by purchase of what was obviously a very high quality set of "Milwaukee" drill bits. Within that same post, Stan Howe posted what i consider some very valuable information concerning a brand of drill bits (Norseman) that he said are the best he's ever owned! I thought that such information was worthy of a this separate post. First of all, the Norseman brand is U.S.A. made, and I would assume that the Milwaukee brand must be U.S.A. made as well, as Ignacio indicated a huge difference in the performance with those drill bits.

The reason I thought to repeat in a separate post the information developed by Ignacio and Stan Howe is very worthy of a separate post, plus a little bit that I might add that I feel is important and appropriate here:

First of all, I brought up the web site of the Norseman Company that Stan mentioned, and it contains some very good information that talks about probably one of the most important things I actually learned (and actually RETAINED) from high school shop class in the 1950's! Mr. Murray, was extremely emphatic when he taught us how to purchase good quality drill bits. He said words to the effect that if you look at the information stamped into the shank of a drill bit, to ignore markings that might appear like, coated, or premium, magnum, tungsten, carbide, etc, etc, and if there was not an "HS" or an "HSS" stamped on the drill,,,,,"DON'T BUY IT!) That stands for "HIGH SPEED STEEL", which is the most important thing about the quality of a drill bit. And what I particularly noted on the Norseman website was that they also stressed the importance of "high speed steel", and I was particularly gratified to note that some things haven't changed in sixty plus years since my high school machine shop days! Anyway, FWIW, and thanks Ignacio & Stan for bringing this up, .....harold

Topic author
2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Drill Bit Quality

Post by 2nighthawks » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:22 pm

Sorry about posting the above for a second time,.....I was interrupted from the forum by a "CRASH" in the kitchen, which turned out do be a dropped bottle of salad dressing, and which of course required my "assistance" in clean-up operations, and when I got back to this, I thought I had not posted it and so posted it again, and I know there's a way to delete it but of course, being almost "computer illiterate" I can't figure out how to do that. And I think I remember somebody saying that you have only so much time to do that, which I may have exceeded. Oh well,...whatever,.....sorry,.....harold

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:50 am

Harold,

I hope you were careful and didn't cut your tongue on broken glass as you cleaned up the spilled salad dressing. :o :lol: :roll:
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Gordon C
First Name: Gordon
Last Name: Clayton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 TT
MTFCA Number: 49977

Post by Gordon C » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks ! I learned something. I guess you're never too old.

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:19 pm

This is the set I have. CN-TECH NITRIDE-CRYO---- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Norseman-29pc- ... SwImRYIgYd

$130 on ebay. I didn't buy mine there. Might be cheaper someplace else. I have no dog in this anywhere, barking or otherwise.

I just ordered a set of the 1-60 bits. I have 3 or 4 other sets, most of them get pretty dull pretty quick.

I would buy another set of the CN-Tech ones in a heart beat if anything happened to the set I have.

John_Aldrich
First Name: John
Last Name: Aldrich
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915, 1923. 1927

Post by John_Aldrich » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:27 pm

2nighthawks wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:11 pm
Yesterday 12/12, Ignacio Valdes started a post entitled "Drilling Steel?". Ignacio eventually solved his problem of difficulty in drilling steel, apparently by purchase of what was obviously a very high quality set of "Milwaukee" drill bits. Within that same post, Stan Howe posted what i consider some very valuable information concerning a brand of drill bits (Norseman) that he said are the best he's ever owned! I thought that such information was worthy of a this separate post. First of all, the Norseman brand is U.S.A. made, and I would assume that the Milwaukee brand must be U.S.A. made as well, as Ignacio indicated a huge difference in the performance with those drill bits.

The reason I thought to repeat in a separate post the information developed by Ignacio and Stan Howe is very worthy of a separate post, plus a little bit that I might add that I feel is important and appropriate here:

First of all, I brought up the web site of the Norseman Company that Stan mentioned, and it contains some very good information that talks about probably one of the most important things I actually learned (and actually RETAINED) from high school shop class in the 1950's! Mr. Murray, was extremely emphatic when he taught us how to purchase good quality drill bits. He said words to the effect that if you look at the information stamped into the shank of a drill bit, to ignore markings that might appear like, coated, or premium, magnum, tungsten, carbide, etc, etc, and if there was not an "HS" or an "HSS" stamped on the drill,,,,,"DON'T BUY IT!) That stands for "HIGH SPEED STEEL", which is the most important thing about the quality of a drill bit. And what I particularly noted on the Norseman website was that they also stressed the importance of "high speed steel", and I was particularly gratified to note that some things haven't changed in sixty plus years since my high school machine shop days! Anyway, FWIW, and thanks Ignacio & Stan for bringing this up, .....harold
Couldn't STAND IT!!

Just bought a set. :lol:
John Aldrich
Typical Model T Addict

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic