Shipping T parts

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Shipping T parts

Post by Dan Hatch » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:05 pm

Two of last 4 packages I have shipped by USPS are late. Some by a lot! The other two are not due yet so USPS says they are on time. We will see ! Tracking acts likes the packages fell in a big hole. No info on where they are. Just blank. WTF!!
Anyone else having this trouble? I am not shipping anything else till after the first. Dan

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Shipping T parts

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Lots of chatter on eBay community forums about this. Because of the huge volume of packages and worker shortage, USPS packages are getting held up in some of the major sorting facility's in the east (sorry to say Illinois seems the most backed up). I am waiting for a package from NY state, it's out there somewhere.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:17 pm

Dan, you are not alone! They go to a distribution center I believe at Area 51. I will not start shipping again until 4 January 2021.

Hank

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:21 pm

USPS does not appear to update their tracking until an item is delivered. You can see the day it left and the day it should arrive and that's all. If it is coming from China it goes on a tramp steamer powered by a 10 horse Evinrude.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:36 pm

Same problem here - both shipping & receiving ! USPS must be overwhelmed !

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:39 pm

A local postal worker said that Indianpolis distribution center is backed up to the walls, because they are making Amazon the priority and everyone else can wait. Around here, UPS also hauls its packages close, and then turns them over to to the post office too! More backlog!

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:56 pm

While USPS is generally reliable... their tracking is nowhere near UPS or FedEx.

Nor rain, nor sleet, nor snow... but COVID and Christmas might prove to be too much! ;)

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:58 pm

Our postal workers are golden. Their bosses, not so much.
Very frustrating. Daily we get emails wondering where their things are and we haven’t even recd $$ yet. Just recd a check today from Washington state. Over 2 weeks to get a first class letter. Why would they need sorting machines, let’s just scrap them out.
THIS TOO SHALL PASS.
We are sending stuff tomorrow and hopefully all will arrive by Christmas Eve. We’ve even started shipping things again without payment recd , but that sometimes comes back to bite me. Makes a guy want to retire, (almost)

Topic author
Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:43 pm

I think that maybe usps is out doing themselves.
By that I mean biting off more than they can do.
I ordered a heavy part for my tractor off eBay. Shipped out of Fla with a usps tracking number, but the tracking was fedex. FedEx got to my town than usps delivered it, on Sunday. That means one guy had to go to my po and bring it out to me. Sure he may have had more than just my package but still that was OT.
Kind out like a plant I worked at. Sales guy got a great lead on a job painting the cores for transformers on printed circuit boards. We could charge 1/2 a cent each for the job. But we figured it would cost 3/4 of a cent each to paint them. Sales says” we will make it up in volume “
Hope this gets worked out soon. Dan

John iaccino
First Name: John
Last Name: Iaccino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Roadster, Open Runnabout
MTFCA Number: 17802

Post by John iaccino » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:13 pm

I sent a priority box to Texas 14 days ago. Paid for priority 3 day delivery and it still has not arrived to Texas.

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:37 pm

There is a 24 to 48 hour wait for semi-trucks to even get into the lot at the Allen Park sorting facility here in Metro-Detroit. The problem is not isolated to one region or area, plenty of news stories coming out of both coasts and in between. Here is a link to a local news story about a week old. I drove by the sorting facility today on the way home from a doctors appointment today, just as bad if not worse than what is shown in the video. I sent a package to Joe Bell today (95 miles away), Priority Mail and I was told 10 to 14 days.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... periences/
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:23 am

Due to COVID, people are choosing to do their Christmas shopping online so the Christmas presents they are buying for family members are being shipped to them. Also, due to the fact people are choosing not to travel home for Christmas, they are mailing the presents home, so there are many times more packages enroute than ever before, so, be patient. The packages will arrive, but probably very late. Jim Patrick
Last edited by jiminbartow on Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:01 am

This seasonal rush has been repeated many times over the years. Ground Support Equipment time taught me that.
Exacerbated by this year to the extreme.
A part for my skid loader will be a day later than what UPS told me on Friday. No problem. I get it.
Today they ask me thru email if I wanted to redirect it to an access point! Hehe. No.
That new distributer (for the skid loader!) will get here when it can.
I already have one of three runners on a distributer, the others are on coils. 8-)
:)
But if your package is overly late? Holler loud and long!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:18 am

Australia Post has caught the disease too. I posted some RHD parts to the USA on 11/27 here in Gawler. Tracking says the parcel got to Melbourne 6 days later! It cleared for departure 4 days later. It was processed by the air carrier 3 times another 4 days later, and 2 days later processed again.So, 18 days later it still hasn't left Australia. They have 2 days to meet their own delivery standards.
Tracking stopped at day 7, until I lodged a complaint. then they found a way to follow it, albeit there wasn't far to follow.

Allan from down under.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:54 am

In the early part of November my sister who lives 63.2 miles away sent me a greeting card via first class mail. It took 19 days to get to me! She could have gotten in her wheelchair and rolled over to my place faster!
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Topic author
Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:43 am

A Christmas miracle!!! Just got email one of my packages I shipped has moved. Just left St. Louis , no sure where it is going next, but at least I know where it was. 😷

George Hand
First Name: George
Last Name: Hand
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 open express, 1920 touring, 1926 tudor-lisenced and insured, 1921tt project 1922 fendered chassis, 192x tt dootle bug 192xengine w/winch projects
MTFCA Number: 28114
MTFCI Number: 21834

Post by George Hand » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:19 am

Fedex & UPS known as "United Package Smashers" are suppose to merge, it will be called "FedUP". George

CudaMan
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:05 pm

I have nearly a dozen packages hung up in the USPS system. Most have shown some movement in the past week, but one hasn't been updated in over two weeks.

I sure hope that some postal supervisor with a jammed transfer facility doesn't tell his employees to dig a big hole, bulldoze all of the packages into it, and fill in the hole. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Don Lyon
First Name: Don
Last Name: Lyon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 23465

Post by Don Lyon » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:58 pm

This has been going on with the USPS for several yrs. The tracking is a joke!! Three yrs ago I sent a small pkg by First Class mail and after 3 wks it still showed "in transit". After another 4 days I called the recipient and apologized for the holdup and he told me he'd got it two days before. It was still showing "in transit". It took 3 1/2 weeks for First Class(??) mail to go 4 states away!!
been there, broke that

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Kevin Pharis wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:56 pm
While USPS is generally reliable... their tracking is nowhere near UPS or FedEx.

Not true. If when you go on USPS site to track a package...lurk around a bit, and you
can sign up to have your package(s) tracked and notified to you by text or email literally
every step of the way. Last spring, right when stupid Covid hit, I sold a brand new digital
compass to a guy in New England somewhere, but he needed it delivered to Florida. No problem.
Until he couldn't get there. But I had already sent it. So I had to have it sent back to his
address in New England. I had it on this text-tracking system and I was getting texts at 1 in the morning even,
telling me where the dang thing was at that moment. It was great. Took two weeks, but he finally
got it at his house. To my knowledge the other shippers don't do that. But I haven't looked so maybe
I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:01 pm

Have to say it folks BUT shipping and sending items for whatever reason this winter and especially this year isn’t a good thing to do.
Don’t expect everything to be on time and right where it’s suppose to be. Online buying and shopping along with the COVID thing plus it’s upcoming Christmas don’t expect things to be on time. Just the way it is.
Sometimes a dose of reality takes a while to sink in.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464

Post by Susanne » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:07 pm

USPS has been going downhill for years - decades, actually. This year has been a banner year for it - no overtime, removing the automated equipment that processed mail faster without personal involvement - but it's by far not the worst. OTOH, they have implemented stuff over the preceeding 2 decades to try to compete with private industry (like the awesome tracking stuff), but competing with the cheap to free internet to send a letter, well, it's hard to keep up when you lose a huge chunk of revenue.

At one time the postal service would deliver anything - IIRC they even had a special rate for used car parts (as a kid I used to get parts sent by special parcel post) - and you could trust it would get there. Then again, I also got motorcycle parts drop shipped by Greyhound. Ahhh, the good old days. :mrgreen:

FundyTides
First Name: David
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Canadian Touring
MTFCA Number: 51596

Post by FundyTides » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Sent some manuals from Canada to Mass on Dec 8, arrived on Dec 14 via Canada Post/USPS. Great Service! Didn't even have to self-isolate. Recipient could read them right away. Merry Christmas everyone, from the great white north. Pretty good weather so far up here. Some friends of my grandson's were water skiing on the weekend and the water was still soft (but cold), but it will start to harden up soon.

CudaMan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)

Post by CudaMan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:25 pm

Well, I got three of the dozen packages I am waiting for today, so things haven't locked up completely (yet). :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133

Post by StanHowe » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:19 pm

Part of the problem here is that so many people are shopping on line that the carriers can't keep up with the volume and they can't hire people and train them before the rush so the whole thing turns in to a mess.

My SO has been a mail carrier for 19 years in a rural town in Montana. 65 miles from Butte, their distribution center. Last week they got three Semi Trailers of Amazon packages IN ONE WEEK. This week is probably worse. It is 7 pm here, she will be in bed in an hour so she can get up and drive 35 miles to get there early to help since they couldn't hire any help and train them before last week (Actually December 1st)

I just got back from Twin Bridges, 100 miles south of me. I took over my Christmas gift of a "Twin Bridges Falcons" pen for every kid in school; been doing this since Sandi's kids were in grade school. This year the High School ones say "Twin Bridges Schools Falcon Proud Academics -- Sports -- Music -- Life Skills "

The Elementary ones are a little Red/White/Black Flashlight pen that says, Twin Bridges Falcons !!! Lighting the Way !!! Academics -- Sports -- Music -- Life Skills

There are also some for the music program on order that say I'm a Twin Bridges Falcons Music Student -- I Sing - I Play - I Practice -- I Learn -- I Perform ---- Guess where those are??????????? Wedunno!!!

Tracking doesn't know. PenFactory says they don't know. They ship Fed Ex. So it's not just the post office.

So why did I drive over 200 miles today to take the pens that came over ??? Because even sending them Priority Mail they would not have been there until Thursday. Maybe. School is out for break Friday. I used to be able to mail a letter here and they would have it the next day. Then they moved all the sorting operation to Great Falls so a letter from Helena goes 100 miles north to Great Falls, then 175 back to Butte where who knows what happens and after a day or two or a week or two it goes 43 miles to Twin Bridges. It now takes at least 3 days, more likely 5 to get a first class letter 100 miles.

On the other hand, I sent a carburetor to Norway, it arrived a couple days before the expected date, they sent me an email saying it could not be delivered to that address by the carrier. The owner went and picked it up, they send me a notification that it had been delivered, etc.

It's a mess.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:46 pm

I have had package delays due to mis-routed parcels - some totally off route and others looping but the latest is another story. I have been waiting on an Priority Mail order delivered to the Decatur GA post office 7 December 2020. Took two days to scanned at the USPS Atlanta Distribution Center, arriving 9 December was to arrive here in last Saturday. Shows "in-transit" but hasn't left Atlanta. So I wondered what might be the hold up and did some INTERNET searches. Turns out that good old Amazon and a major Distribution Hub in Jackson GA, a Fulfillment Center in Macon and another in Braselton GA. But Amazon shipments are having problems too. So who's the problem - improperly trained employees? I took a tour of the FedEx Atlanta Hub , planes arrive by mid-night with shipments and depart by 4:30AM loaded with deliveries. The people that load the cargo-tainers onto the plains are not allowed 1 mistake or be fired, its in their contract. Unfortunately its almost impossible to fire anyone any more for poor performance, for fear of retaliation
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:10 am

In my latest correspondence with Australia Post, they set themselves a standard for delivery from our state capital to Melbourne in the neighbouring state of 7 working days. That's 9 days with a weekend thrown in. My last to parcels from Langs came in 6 and 8 days via Fedex. Go figure!

Allan from down under.

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:10 am

The most impressive experience happened to me a couple of years ago.
I needed a left side kingpin set for an early Postal Jeep i was fixing to drive the winter.
Parts for these cars are not to be found on our side of the pond, as only a few were used on US Airforce bases.
So i called Rockauto in the US, they said they had one and would ship it directly, it was around 5PM our time, so around 8AM over there.
The next morning around 8:30 i got a call from the customs office in my city that they had a package for me, but was it private or bussines.... :o
Thats packaged, picked up, processed, driven to the airport, flown across the Atlantic, processed, deliverd to my city's hub, gone through customs, and delivered all within less than 24 hours

On the other end of the spectrum, i sent a birthday present to a friend in France, a distance that can be driven by car in about 8 hours, and it ended up back on my doorstep six weeks later...
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Mark Nunn
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:35 am

July 3 2020 was the day my wife and I ordered an anniversary gift for ourselves from a major national retailer. We're still waiting and were told to expect delivery by February. It's a sofa frame for our gazebo. It turned out that they "forgot" to order it from the factory in China. We found the personal email address for company's CEO and sent a detailed report of all our conversations with their personnel. That lit up their phone lines. It shouldn't be that difficult.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:52 pm

I bought a set of new nickle plated T head bolts on EBAY back in Feb-March because they were priced under list. I still haven't seen them! Seller refunded my payment. The last tracking said they passed through Nashua, New Hampshire.

ian schmidt
First Name: ian
Last Name: schmidt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coup and 26 tt

Post by ian schmidt » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:05 pm

Bit the same here in australia.

A 2 months ago i ordered a part from a business 3 hours drive from me. (i should have driven there to get it), it was posted express post via australia post. It took 7 days. At the same time i ordered parts from synders ship via fedex it only took 7 days to get here.

It seems covid and or management that have made the system collapse.

Ian

Michael A
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Abbott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 C-Cab
MTFCA Number: 49918

Post by Michael A » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:34 pm

Ebay global shipping is the worst.
Additional charges follows.
I refuse to purchase anything using this program.
Just my opinion, read the reviews.
USPS and USP not so bad if your not in a hurry.
Michael A

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:02 pm

Just heard on the news tonight that UPS and FedEx are not accepting any more packages, other than for people they have contracts with. The USPS is reporting that they are getting an additional 6 MILLION packages per DAY above what they had last year. USPS says they won't catch up until the first week of 2021.

FreighTer Jim
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:53 am

F794A861-8D09-4059-BABF-D5568C81D571.jpeg

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:34 am

OilyBill wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:02 pm
Just heard on the news tonight that UPS and FedEx are not accepting any more packages, other than for people they have contracts with. The USPS is reporting that they are getting an additional 6 MILLION packages per DAY above what they had last year. USPS says they won't catch up until the first week of 2021.
Possibly a bit out of context [UPS reportedly told its drivers on Cyber Monday to stop picking up packages at some of the largest retailers in the U.S., The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday. The shipping company halted package pickups for Nike, Gap, Macy’s, L.L. Bean, Hot Topic and Newegg, the Journal reported. A UPS spokesperson told CNBC that the company will work with its “larger customers to ensure the volume gets picked up and delivered as more capacity becomes available in our network.”]
All I could find about FedEx
Temporary suspension of FedEx Express Money-Back Guarantee The impact of COVID-19 is causing local, state, and national governments around the world to issue work and travel restrictions on a daily basis, which are impacting our ability to meet our high standards of service. As a result, Money-back guarantee (MBG) has been temporary suspended for all FedEx Express service till further notice
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

CudaMan

Post by CudaMan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:54 am

I think Jim has the best advice. Constantly checking tracking won't make the packages move any faster, it just adds further anxiety. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:28 pm

What about the cost of "Priority Mail" ? I just received 2 days ago, a set of model rocket decals (another hobby) that were sent Priority Mail 2 day legal envelope on 11/11/20 - how about that ?

Mark Nunn

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:03 am

I'm hopeful that these two truckloads of T parts arrive before spring. :D

MAIL 12.gif

modernbeat
First Name: Jason
Last Name: McDaniel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Roadster / 1926 Pickup / 1926 Express-Camper
MTFCA Number: 50306

Post by modernbeat » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:48 am

Billdizer,Spencer In wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:39 pm
A local postal worker said that Indianpolis distribution center is backed up to the walls, because they are making Amazon the priority and everyone else can wait. Around here, UPS also hauls its packages close, and then turns them over to to the post office too! More backlog!
Many shippers use a UPS-USPS fusion called either "UPS Mail Innovations" or "UPS SurePost" depending on who you approch with it. It's frankly better than using USPS, and cheaper than UPS. But not as good as using UPS for the entire delivery.

We ship hundreds of packages per week, mostly with UPS. We're in a rural location and Postal Pickup is not available. We fudge the shipping costs shown to customers to nudge them towards UPS shipping because of the hassle of using Postal, and the delays and many, many questions we get about tracking their delayed Postal packages.
Jason McDaniel

jab35
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615

Post by jab35 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:13 am

Sorry for the OT comment, but my experience may explain all the delays in shipping. I ordered a desk from Amazon in early Oct (2020), it was to arrive in early Nov. UPS delivered it yesterday, 12/22/2020. This morning I received an upbeat e-mail in Chinese flavored English from the manufacturer telling me the shipment was delayed 'due to a large snowstorm in the USA', FWIW.
Have a good Christmas Holiday, everyone. jb

Topic author
Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:49 am

Not just T stuff. I ordered a part for my well pump. Was shipped by UPS And surprise email showed delivery yesterday. But, it is not at my place or neighbors. I have told shipper twice that it is not here, he keeps saying to let him know it is not found. Where else do I look? 2020 gets me again.
Merry Christmas everyone. Dan
Last edited by Dan Hatch on Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:09 pm

Dan Hatch wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:49 am
Not just T stuff. I ordered a part for my well pump. Was shipped by USP And surprise email showed delivery yesterday. But, it is not at my place or neighbors. I have told shipper twice that it is not here, he keeps saying to let him know it is not found. Where else do I look? 2020 gets me again.
Merry Christmas everyone. Dan
I have similar issues or late deliveries (last one was stuck at the USPS Atlanta Distribution Center for 5 days).
Not sure if "shipped by USP" is USPS or UPS.
For USPS you can file a Missing Mail Request with your local post office in-person or on-line - you'll need the tracking number and shippers address. This can be done on-line too but requires you to create an account with USPS. If you haven't done so already do it for "INFORMED DELIVERY". That sends you an email every day for mail you are expected to receive that day -packages too.
After you complete the Missing Mail form and submit it - you local post office will give you a follow-up call (next day or so) and try to locate it. Could have been stolen from your front door too.
For USP and FedEx have similar "informed delivery" processes and requires you to create an account so they can email you when something enters the pipe line with your address. Also have the "missing/delayed" shipment forms
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:38 pm

IT was UPS. Typo on my part. No one stole it, my drive is long and not easy to come down without getting seen. Driver just delivered it somewhere else. They do not read street signs or house numbers, just follow GPS. I have gotten other peoples stuff, not neighbors people that live miles away.
UPS says shipper has to file. I do not want money, need the part. Got to get well back going.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Article in todays paper. We have a large sorting facility under construction. It has a roof and heat so they started using it. States that most employees are on mandatory 12 hour days, 7 days a week. Must work the 24th and the 25th due to volume of mail and packages. The machines are not installed so it is all manual sorting. Want a job?

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464

Post by Susanne » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:52 pm

Mark Nunn wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:03 am

MAIL 12.gif
Are those '13s or 14s?

J1MGOLDEN
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:12 pm

I had a small order shipped by Priority Mail on December 11 finally notify me it was at my post office now and would be delivered some time tomorrow.

I'm good at math, that is 13 days, not 3 days as advertised and no discount for the late delivery.

A friend had an order shipped form the same place on December 12 by Priority Mail and he does not have the small package yet and the first and only tracking notice said they didn't know where it was now.

Someone in good with President Trump should encourage him to fire that new Post Master General while he still can do that job.

Barry Loucks
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Loucks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13, 22
MTFCI Number: 19626

Post by Barry Loucks » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:18 pm

Amazon is their own worst enemy. I ordered the kids two sleeping bags for Christmas. They sent six, two at a time. So not only did they waste their time delivering things I didn’t order, now they tie up valuable resources having them shipped back, their cost, not mine.
Our USPS guy as well as Fed Ex and UPS are fantastic. Management.... ummm. Not so sure.
I have things I’m planning to order. If Santa doesn’t bring them (fat chance) I’m waiting until February.

Who was it that said Fed Ex and UPS are merging, the new company is Fed-Up.

Now that’s funny!

Barry

Mark Nunn

Post by Mark Nunn » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:05 am

Susanne wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:52 pm
Mark Nunn wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:03 am

MAIL 12.gif
Are those '13s or 14s?
The date on the photo was 1912 so I'm guessing they are '13s.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:41 pm

Dan Hatch wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:38 pm
IT was UPS. Typo on my part. No one stole it, my drive is long and not easy to come down without getting seen. Driver just delivered it somewhere else. They do not read street signs or house numbers, just follow GPS. I have gotten other peoples stuff, not neighbors people that live miles away.
UPS says shipper has to file. I do not want money, need the part. Got to get well back going.
Not sure who you checked with - Local UPS or some UPS Support over the phone. I signed up for "UPS My Choice" several months ago and get automatic notifications of shipments to me. When you said they use GPS tracking .. They now offer "Follow My Delivery" You can see the Truck in an area. What this tells me is that your Local UPS office CAN identify the location that your package was delivered. UPS Support people can't tell you where for many reasons - including your own safety
Attachments
ups.jpg
Mick Jagger

daveclause
First Name: D
Last Name: R
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2004

Post by daveclause » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:34 pm

Typical USPS tracking...

A tracking number has been provided

Delivered

dr1960
First Name: David
Last Name: Ruedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Model T Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50076

Post by dr1960 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:45 am

My son is a postman and is just now delivering packages promised Dec 15. He says the distribution centers have been hit hard my COVID because the workers cannot really social distance. The distribution centers are understaffed. In a world of instant gratification, we are being taught some patience, i guess.
David - Yukon, OK
1915 Model T Runabout

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:34 am

It's far from over. NOW the RETURN PACKAGES start the whole process in the reverse direction! :shock: :shock:

I do not blame the postal worker or the delivery drivers I blame it on very poor management practices. Everyone knew that there was an increase in mail order for the last several years and when the pandemic hit back in March management should have started taking steps to handle loss of the work force and increased loads. That's why they make the big bucks to plan ahead.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic