Steaming Radiator

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Herr_Wiebold
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Wiebold

Steaming Radiator

Post by Herr_Wiebold » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Hello all! Looking for some quick advice from someone who knows better than I...

I just got my '25 TT running properly/driving for the first time, only to encounter a laundry list of issues to address. Chief among those, the steam you can see in this ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24nG3av6TT4 ) video. At this point, we had been dorking with the thing trying to get it going for an hour or so, so I'd understand if it was a bit hot, but to be steaming already seems excessive in my mind... Running about a gallon of "out of the jug" 50/50 coolant.

Any thoughts? Advice? I'm new to this, so anything helps! :lol:

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Re: Steaming Radiator

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:09 pm

Herr_Wiebold wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:52 pm
Running about a gallon of "out of the jug" 50/50 coolant.

Any thoughts? Advice? I'm new to this, so anything helps! :lol:

Is that 1 gallon all that you have in it? If so, you are about 2 gallons short.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Corvette Guy
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Jones

Post by Corvette Guy » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Oh boy, been there got that t-shirt.

My TT gurgles after I shut it down and guys say it is normal. They are also supposed to find their own level of coolant, typically right at the top of the fins, so you might be overfilling it causing it to steam.

You might want to check the temp at the inlet and outlet of the radiator to see if it is cooling, you can use an IR / non contact thermometer to do it.

Your timing could be retarded.

Your fuel mix could be lean, does the exhaust glow?

Most likely the radiator is plugged, there are lots of ways to clean it out from vinegar to store bought chemicals. Does your radiator have round (old style) or flat tubes (cool better)?

Do you have a water pump? They are typically an add on when the radiator isn't working right.

Grab your wallet if you need a new radiator. New ones are $850ish and you can have them recored for $625ish.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:32 pm

They can boil when they get hot, however they don't steam heavily until the coolant runs low. I usually use water while I am working on the car to get it going, and then when I am sure there are no leaks, I drain it and pour in one gallon of the green anti freeze and top it off with distilled water. It is a bit less than 50-50 here, but we don't have freezing weather every year. Anyway, I think you are running too low.
Norm

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:42 pm

Also run a thin coat hanger down the overflow pipe. These get plugged also when someone in the past put "Pellatized" stop leal in the Radiator
Like mentioned above check spark timing and have spark lever half way down when driving . Also check fuel mixture .

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:53 pm

Usually when a T overheats fluid comes out the overflow tube. Like others mentioned, maybe your drain is plugged. I’d question the radiator as my 1917 with a new radiator never overheats but it will leak a bit if overfilled. If you know of an old time radiator shop you might see what they can do for it.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Jeff Hood
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Hood
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1923 Fordor, 1924 Martin Parry Canopy Express, 1925 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25636

Post by Jeff Hood » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:52 pm

Steam from the radiator cap tells me that you don't have gasket/seal under the cap. I see heavy jackets and snow so it's cold and you can probably see your breath too and you are only 98 degrees! Normal radiator temp will be around 190 degrees so you'll probably see some steam or condensation in your case, and if it's not been moving because you've been "dorking" with it it may well be even hotter than that. Get a seal, I use a rubber sink drain seal from the hardware store or plumbing supply, and then the steam will come out of the overflow pipe and you won't have rust all over your hood and windshield. Advance the spark lever and get some airflow across the radiator and you won't see much steam. It will find it's own water level which is usually right about in the middle of the top tank. There needs to be a couple inches of room for the water to expand when it warms up. Check it every so often since it is an open system and pushing some steam and moisture out the overflow always, and have some fun.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:57 pm

You haven’t mentioned if the radiator is original, been cleaned out or is a replacement new one.
If it’s the one that’s been on you TT truck for many years and an original that could be part or all of your problem. They do wear out.
Radiators can fool you by looking like it may be in good shape. You can try the above mentioned in the earlier post’s and it may help the getting hot issue but after it’s all said and done it usually winds up the radiator that’s the main issue.
Good luck.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:26 am

Trying to recap - "just got my '25 TT running properly/driving for the first time. ... Running about a gallon of "out of the jug" 50/50 coolant." As Pep C asked "Is that 1 gallon all that you have in it? If so, you are about 2 gallons short". Reason for confirming this is that a mix of traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze with water in a 50-50 ratio increases the boiling point to only 223°F and water turns into steam at 212°F. If you are in Golden Colorado, elevation is about 5600 ft., water boils at 201 °F. Operating water temperature of a Model T engine (as noted by Jeff) is 190°F so you are very close to these boiling point values. I see that you are running a Motometer is it functional?; what does it say? is it sealed, cap too? Note to that there are stories where the additions of ornaments on the cap may cause the neck to loosen.
Bottom line - depending on how much fluid is in the radiator - you would be running near boiling point. From what other's have said - the expectation is that the steam should be coming out of the overflow tube so that should be the first fix, then investigate the cause.
Calculations of boiling point as a function of atmospheric pressure & altitude
https://demonstrations.wolfram.com/Boil ... fAltitude/
https://www.thermoworks.com/bpcalc
Attachments
steamy.jpg
steamy.jpg (31.83 KiB) Viewed 3554 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:16 am

One gallon of mix isn't enough to get the thermosiphon action working, IMO. Pour in another gallon of mix, then check the level to make sure that it covers at least the tops of the radiator tubes. I usually fill mine until the level is up to the bottom of the splash guard at the bottom of the radiator neck, then let the system find its own level under operation via the overflow tube. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:55 am

I won't repeat all the good advice above, but here's a page on cooling troubles: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG96.html.

If you go through all the remedies and still have overheating, it's time to change radiators. There are three choices. 1 Buy a used one. You might be lucky and get one that still works, but more likely it's being sold because it doesn't. 2 Buy a new one. 3 Have the old one recored.

I had my 1915 brass era radiator recored, and it's fine. For black era Fords like your TT I just buy a new Berg's. In both cases, no more overheating.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Herr_Wiebold
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Wiebold

Post by Herr_Wiebold » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:33 am

Thanks everyone for the great advice! A few things:

- I'll check the fluid level next time I have a chance; I seem to recall only a gallon of fluid being in there, but I'm not sure why I would've only put one in when the owners manual clearly says 3... Perhaps my memory is not what it once was!

- I'll try a rubber gasket for the cap. Right now I've got one of the OEM style ones in there, but it isn't quite thick enough (as the motometer kept rotating slowly when running).

- I'll try and run less advanced and with a slightly richer fuel mix. When trying to get it going for the first time, it kept firing off-beat and the thing that seemed to make it happy was a reduction on fuel from the carb. Perhaps I went a little too far, and it's running hot because it can't idle down.

- As a last thought, what are people's mindsets towards lowering fuel octane by mixing things in? It's my understanding that a T would be happiest with somewhere around 50 octane, while commercially the lowest I can get is 85.

If none of this works, I'll go searching for a water pump and a better radiator after that. Hopefully my elevation isn't too tough on the TT, though I'm sure my local club can provide some hints to help with that. Thanks again everyone, and happy holidays!

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:09 pm

Not gas again .... "Octane Ratings At Altitude" https://www.mikeshawsubaru.com/service/ ... titude.htm "They say the air is rare here in the Rocky Mountains, and that actually has an effect on how your engine performs. Because the air is less dense, less air flows to your car's engine. This translates to a slightly richer air-fuel ratio, and deters engine knock. For that reason, you'll find that regular gas carries an 85 octane rating here in Denver and throughout Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Montana. In most states, regular unleaded is rated slightly higher at 87.
In most cases, you won't experience any problems running 85 octane in an ordinary car when a few thousand feet above sea level"

Forget the water pump and buy a Berg Radiator (doesn't recommend ornaments on the neck). Many members have highly recommended BERG's - I have one. http://www.bergsradiator.com/modelt.html
If you really want a water pump I have a nice, cool looking one, one I'll sell you for $50 plus shipping
Last edited by TRDxB2 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:17 pm

If the radiator can't be made to work I would forego the water pump Band-aid and put that dough toward purchase of a good radiator.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Dan Haynes
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by Dan Haynes » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:50 pm

Congratulations on getting it running and moving, but work on getting it running right. A Model T should run smoothly and accelerate evenly without sounding like a backfiring jalopy out of a 1930s comedy or like a cartoon car. Find the one or two components (coils, timer, plugs) that are troublesome and make them work. Anything else you do before that is just spinning your wheels.

With snow on the ground, your radiator could be pretty goofed up but still work well enough to keep from boiling/steaming. Check the coolant level and, is the fan belt still on? The flat belts can "petrify" in one position and fly off pretty easy if the truck has been sitting a long time.

Model Ts have the simplest carburetors ever, there is only one adjustment and it's intended to be adjusted from the seat. If the float level is right and if the idle passages aren't plugged, it should do what you need it to do. Check for possible vacuum leaks around the intake manifold at the carburetor and also at the block. Do a routine compression check. Any stuck valves? That happens after sitting, too.

After you have made it run like it is intended, if it still runs hot you can go crazy with new radiator.
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:43 am

The only thing I would add, is try soluble oil instead of coolant....coolant is made to reduce heat in pressurized cooling systems (like in modern cars). Nothing on a Model T or TT for that matter is pressurized other than the tires. Soluble Oil is made to reduce heat in non-pressurized cooling systems and it also does all the nice stuff that coolant does (ie prevent rust, and prevent the rubber hoses from cracking) and yet is not quite as toxic, it also doesn't boil away, so no need to add more to it every bloody year either and it works better than coolant in a thermosyphon system too...but it is a bit more pricey than coolant and you've got to get it from machine shop supply outfits, like WW Graingers, most folks refer to it as Cutting Fluid, but since you're not cutting anything, it does what it was designed to do...remove heat. ;)
Fun never quits!

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:41 am

VowellArt wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:43 am
The only thing I would add, is try soluble oil instead of coolant....coolant is made to reduce heat in pressurized cooling systems (like in modern cars). Nothing on a Model T or TT for that matter is pressurized other than the tires. Soluble Oil is made to reduce heat in non-pressurized cooling systems and it also does all the nice stuff that coolant does (ie prevent rust, and prevent the rubber hoses from cracking) and yet is not quite as toxic, it also doesn't boil away, so no need to add more to it every bloody year either and it works better than coolant in a thermosyphon system too...but it is a bit more pricey than coolant and you've got to get it from machine shop supply outfits, like WW Graingers, most folks refer to it as Cutting Fluid, but since you're not cutting anything, it does what it was designed to do...remove heat. ;)
From a machining point of view, soluble oil is not meant to remove heat. Water can do that just fine. Soluble oil is meant to prevent corrosion and add lubricity to the metal cutting process, which improves tool life. In a cooling system, it's just preventing corrosion.

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:18 am

I agree with Steve Jelf. Go through the cleaning process, be sure that you have no vacuum leaks and that the ignition is in good shape, then if you still have the problem it's time for a new radiator. I am assuming that the cooling system is full. From some of the comments I assume that you live in a high-altitude area; as the air is less dense, a given volume of it contains less Oxygen then it would at sea level. To maintain the correct fuel mixture you will have to add less gasoline. Your proper mixture will be leaner then it should be at sea level.
Someone said that a T engine will run at about 190 degrees Fahrenheit. My '27 runs at 170 measured at the top tank of the radiator, and with a new Berg's radiator you can't make it overheat here in Sunny SW Florida. Even with the temperature in the mid to high 90's it's fine. If your T is going to be driven much, you want a flat-tube unit. BTW - I love the look of your T in the OP.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:27 am

I accept the fact that soluble oil is an effective coolant and corrosion preventer. I have found many supporting reviews of that fact and its use as a coolant in radiators. BUT I was unable to find anything related to its capability as an antifreeze or what effect cold temperatures have on it. Does it thicken like most oils do - not really a problem as long as it remains fluid enough to travel through the radiator and get heated by engine temperature. Does anyone know approximately what temperature it freezes at? Need to confirm that a hibernating garaged T wouldn't get damaged at below freezing temperatures (around here late January & early February can see overnight temps -20F to 0 F)
Mick Jagger

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:44 am

Frank, soluble oil is, well, soluble. It dissolves into the water giving it a milky appearance, and doesn't separate from solution. If it has any capability to lower the freezing point of water it is minimal. Antifreeze it is not ! I've used it in cooling systems for years with good results. Opinions may differ.
"Get a horse !"

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:17 pm

Rich Bingham wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:44 am
Frank, soluble oil is, well, soluble. It dissolves into the water giving it a milky appearance, and doesn't separate from solution. If it has any capability to lower the freezing point of water it is minimal. Antifreeze it is not ! I've used it in cooling systems for years with good results. Opinions may differ.
I doubted it as an "antifreeze " but was seeking information on its temperature range of use. No doubt about the high limit from reports and experiences but there isn't any information to guide members on its use in colder temperatures. So it many not be an alternative for everyone.
Mick Jagger

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Frank. Dim light bulb flickering here. :lol: Your concern for the "cold range" of soluble oil seems to indicate your thought is for filling the cooling system with soluble oil ?? Perhaps that's a possibility, but I'm unaware of such use. For my part, I use a pint of soluble oil in Lizzie's cooling system - mixed into enough water to fill it. (3gal.)
"Get a horse !"

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:53 pm

Soluble oil is not a coolant, any more than motor oil is a coolant. Yes, in the machine trades it's referred to as a "coolant", but that's a machining coolant, not an engine coolant. And, it's only a machining coolant when it's mixed with water, (or if it comes pre-mixed), not when it's just plain oil.

If memory serves, it also does not "dissolve" into the water to make some new substance. The oil exists as micro droplets, suspended in the water, that do not come out of solution. It's called an emulsion. My guess, is that the water portion of the mix will still freeze at about the same temperature as normal. What the freezing point of the oil itself is, I couldn't begin to guess.

VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:48 pm

I live in So, Cal, so it doesn't get too bloody cold here...usually, but as I recall the flash point of the soluble oil I'm using is 354ºF and it's pour point is -6ºC, and yes I mix it with water. I've never had any problems with it, cooling or otherwise, my car doesn't ever steam, nor gurgle when driving in rough areas (like the middle of the Mojave desert in summer, on my way to Calico for the day) or heading North up past Santa Barbara (using the back roads to Solvang and Los Olivos), and never had any problems, the engine head looks as clean on the inside of the water jacket as it the day I put her together back in 78.

Now as to engine oil, I never throw it away either, because it never really degrades, it gets dirty yes, but never degrades to where it doesn't lubricate as it is supposed to. When it gets dirty, I just run it through a Frantz bench top system ( https://www.frantzfilters.com/) and clean it, then throw it back into the car. ;)
Fun never quits!

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:32 am

Brett, let us know if you were short of water/coolant or were full, would you? I'm glad you brought this up. :)
I fill water nearly up to the neck and let it potty out what it doesn't want.
Hey Brett, does your steering wheel need to be turned right side up? So it angles down.
Yep, I'm a water user in the T's and most of the other old OT engines here but always looking for more info about coolant.
Sometimes anti-freeze just isn't the answer for some of us. Drip, drip, drip.
Some details have come out that I've wished to see before. Saw/machining/drilling coolant (soluble oil) mixed with water in the radiator.
It does keep rust at bay on parts and machines. Don't like draining some rusty water. :)
A '28 OT 340 cu in engine has a new radiator and like the T's it potties some rust out at the end of the year.
Don't like that so extremely interested in some of the posts.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic