Driving question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Old school
First Name: D
Last Name: V
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 51325
Board Member Since: 2020

Driving question

Post by Old school » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:02 am

Sorry for this very basic question but I’ve never driven a T and just joined this club. While waiting for my very first T (‘25 Roadster) to be delivered I’m attempting to get my head around the shift sequence. Watching a few videos it appears the only item not covered is when do you put the parking brake handle in the most forward position ? Thanks in advance.
Retired ... nothing to do and all day to do it.

geoffrey mark
First Name: geoffrey
Last Name: mark

Re: Driving question

Post by geoffrey mark » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:23 am

Have good luck and fun with your new to you t ! I learned by watching you tube then tried out my t in a smoothish field , when you get it moveing by pressing the clutch/forward pedal get the car up to about 10 miles per hour , ease of gas and at same time lift foot of clutch/forward pedal and move handbrake forward to front bulkhead position , give it some gas and hopefully you will be moveing forward at a steady higher rate , probably happy at 25 to 30 , take it easy till you master it , keep thinking about what's ahead and how you are going to deal with hazzards and junctions !. Drive it as if you have no brakes because they are t that great , better slow up to junction as overshooting ! Let us know how you get on !

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:39 am

And don't apologize, we all had to learn too! And most of us had otherwise embarassing moments we'd prefer not to admit to!! :lol:

NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Post by NealW » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:42 am

I had to teach myself how to drive our 21 touring when we got it a couple of years ago. Mitch Taylor has a lot of good T videos that I found helpful. Good luck and enjoy your T!

https://www.fordmodelt.net/videos.htm

Topic author
Old school

Post by Old school » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:44 am

Thanks again

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:17 am

Myself once i push the low and im holding in low i throw the lever forward. Time to shift cut the throttle and lift your foot. Once you are used it it it is just natural. Bud. :D

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:24 am

Remember your driving a car with 100 year technology. T’s don’t have ‘real’ brakes like your modern car or pickup. So don’t expect to come to a quick stop if necessary.
You’ll learn in a short time how to use the hand brake. After a while it will become second nature along with starting and stopping the car. In general Model T’s drive and shift alike but each has its own peculiarities. You’ll find that out soon enough!
Have fun!

DJPeterson
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Peterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1916 Roadster, 1925 Roadster PU, 1926 Canadian Fordor, 1927 Speedster

Post by DJPeterson » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:34 am

One of the greatest hurdles to overcome will be to jam the low peddle to the floor in an "emergency." That move locks the tranny into low gear and takes the car through the end of the garage, over the front of the trailer and over curbs faster than you can blink. If you cannot get that foot up, turn off the key or jam the other peddles to the floor simultaneously to kill the motor!

John.Zibell
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Post by John.Zibell » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:39 am

What Bud said. Also it is good to squeeze the handle on the hand brake when pulling it back. It reduces wear on the ratchet.
1926 Tudor

GEmering
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Emering
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring and 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49671
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by GEmering » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:18 am

Don't worry about high gear until you master starting and stopping in an open space.
As others have mentioned, drive the car like you have no brakes, because compared to your modern ride, you almost don't.

During my very first attempt at driving the emergency brake moved from the vertical position to completely forward due to worn parts.
When I let my foot off of the clutch, instead of putting the car in neutral to slow down, it lurched forward quickly.
I just missed a parked car by inches.
Please make sure to check for worn parts.
I got lucky.

My 2 cents

Gene
Gene Emering
Newton, New Jersey

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:28 am

What Dale said is true. Train yourself in a safe place to find neutral position on the low peddle.
I have driven manual transmisions all my life. Pushing the peddle to the floor came natural to me. That reflex can get you in trouble with T.

The 1st drive more than a half mile from my home in my T was going very well. I began to relax and enjoy the fruits of my labor in getting it running and safe to drive. I came to a stop sign at a blind intersection and proceeded to stop ( or not). Being new to driving, I was putting E brake in neutral before stopping. I pushed low peddle to the floor ( reflex action when stopping) and pushed brake but was not stopping. The thing just kept going and it finally hit me to let off the low peddle. By this time Im in the middle of the intersection. Lucky nothing was coming. I have never made that mistake again. Driving my T's now is second nature but I am always looking for a way out if something happens where I need to avoid. The brakes are minimal at best. Keep that in mind and you will be fine.

I hope you enjoy your T as much as I do mine. There is nothing better than slowing down and just enoying the sights and the sound of 20 hp rolling you down a quiet road.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:40 am

Depending on how the parking brakes are setup, Pull all the way back so the parking brakes are set for starting and warming up the engine. This also puts the clutch in neutral. Once it is warmed up, move the lever to the vertical position, this will release the parking brakes but keep the transmission in neutral. With a planetary transmission, the clutch is bypassed and not used for low and reverse. For practicing in low, moving the car around or backing up, leave the handle in the vertical position. Once you are ready to drive, hold the low pedal about half way down, move the parking brake handle forward, press down on the low pedal and give it some gas. Once you get up to some speed, back off the gas, let up the low pedal and same time give it some gas, you are now in high or direct. Every Model T is different when it come to shifting and driving. So somethings, like speed where the gas needs to be etc, you will have to learn for your car. They are all about the same but different. LOL
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:44 am

Good advice from everyone! One more thing is to plan your stops AHEAD of time and not on the spur of the moment! Learn to do this and in case of an emergency you’ll know what to do.
Start your plan especially when going down a hill by beginning to slow down a good ways before you need to stop or turn at the end of the hill. Very important to learn for a beginning driver. Can’t over emphasize this!
You can do it!

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:06 am

This will definitely help you. Click on the link below this post. It is a July, 1963 issue of Popular Science that contains two articles on Model T’s that first interested me in Model T’s when I was 9 years old. I saved it and read it often and it helped me in providing the basics of driving the Model T in 1972 when I completed my Model T after completing a two year restoration. Enjoy and be careful. Jim Patrick.

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/102160.html

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:16 am

I strongly recommend that you spend considerable time with the new-to-you T in a vacant parking lot. A T doesn't drive anything like a modern car (as has been posted earlier) and your modern car instincts can get you in trouble really fast. I plan my stops well ahead and try not to use what passes for the brakes in a T at all. Also practice the low/high gear pedal until it becomes instinctive; that pedal can and will get you in trouble. Also remember that if a "panic" stop is looming, you can step on the low gear and reverse pedal at the same time; just remember that you are putting more stress on the driveline then it was intended to handle, so this should be an emergency procedure only.

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:18 am

Dale P. just hit on a very important lesson for new T drivers : pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor as you come to a stop.

Do you have experience with driving a conventional (stick shift) car ? Most people do. Having experience with a regular stick shift car, you have learned a habit that will get you in trouble with a T.

Think about it: When you come to a full stop with a stick shift, what do you do with your clutch foot ? Push it all the way to the floor, of course. It's a strong and necessary habit. But with a T, that habit will get you in trouble. So one of the first things you will have to do is UNLEARN a habit that has served you well with other cars.

The first step in forming a new habit, or avoiding misuse of an old habit, is to think through in your mind what the differences are and what might stimulate you to use your old habit on your new car. The old stimului are the feel of the clutch pedal under your left foot and seeing an upcoming obstacle that requires you to stop. And the more urgent the need to stop, the more the old habit will scream to your left foot to "push me down ! push me down !"

The easiest way to uncouple your old habit from your new car is to put the hand brake in the center position for your first drive and leave it there while you get used to all the other aspects of driving. That way, you can learn to push the pedal from NEUTRAL to LO when you want to start moving, and for a while, keep you foot off the clutch pedal as you come to a stop while learning to use the hand throttle and the foot brake. It's more like an automatic transmission that way. You can view this driving lesson as "Phase I" of your T learning experience.

Once you have spent a few minutes driving the T slowly around in a safe place, you will have learned the sights, sounds and feel of the car. Now you have some reserve brain power to concentrate on "unlearning" your old stick shift habit.

Hopefully you have a large open space or quiet street to begin "Phase II". Here you will learn the new habit of holding the clutch only half way down as you come to a stop. The procedure is (from fully stopped) to push the clutch half way down, move the handbrake fully forward, and practice starting and stopping. Give it a little throttle, push the clutch pedal firmly to the floor, get up to maybe 10 MPH, then throttle back, let the clutch up to neutral, and then use the brake as required to come to a stop. Don't feel bad if you stall the engine a few times; you are working to build a new habit in the face of an old, conflicting habit.

Phase III should still take place on a quiet road or open space to avoid discractions. From a standing start, holding the clutch pedal half way down, move the parking brake lever fully forward, and get moving. Then, throttle back a tad and smoothly let the clutch pecal fully up. Then you can add throttle as required. Feels great, right ? Ok, now retard the throttle, push the clutch pedal half way down and lightly brake to a stop. Practice this sequence until you become comfortable. Get rolling in LO, accelerate a bit, shift up into HI, then slow down, push clutch half way down, and brake to a stop. It's a lot like walking and chewing gum at the same time, only harder.

If you drive your T regularly you will get this new habit in hand, you will eventually reach the point where it's as instinctive as driving a stick shift. But if you reflect on it, you realize that your clutch action as you come to a stop is almost exactly OPPOSITE of what you were doing with your stick shift car.

I have been driving my T for nearly 60 years now, but don't drive it very often. So if I haven't driven it for a year or so I am very mindful of rusty T habits. As I approach my driveway, I pull the handbrake lever back to the mid position before turning in. Then take my left foot completely off the pedal as I approach the garage door.

Many experienced T drivers will poo poo my disciplined approach to building the T pedal skills, but they probably drive their car a lot more than I do.

Oldav8tor
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:25 am

Never apologize for asking a question. All of us have been where you are and have benefited from the patient replies from others with more experience.

The advice given by previous posters is all good. I found the videos on YouTube to be particularly useful.

You may want to see if there are other T owners in your area who could give you some driving instruction and general hints on the operation of your Model T. Checking the chapter listings I found Susan Buff <randsbuff@gmail.com> representing the South Carolina Model T Club. I bet she could put you on to someone in your area who would be happy to help you out. Someone on this forum may jump in as well.

Welcome to the obsession and enjoy the ride!
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

TWrenn
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:31 am

When I sold my firetruck years ago I made up a fairly comprehensive set of starting and driving instructions plus some simple maintenance things, as the buyer was totally new to Ts. Sent them to him, hope it helps. Nice to have that stuff in the seat next to you when you're first playing around with the car.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:40 am

It is best not to use reverse for stopping unless it is a true emergency. The reverse drum is very thin and will crack easily.
I guess I was fortunate because both my dad and my two uncles told me about how to drive a Model T when I was a boy. I did not, however, drive one until I was 53. My first car was a Model A and I used to pretend it was a Model T by using only the hand throttle, and shifting directly from low to high. The biggest diffeence was in the operation of the clutch vs low pedal.
When I got my first T, I got right in and drove it home. However the low band was slipping badly and my son was with me and had to get out and push to get moving and then hop in. We did this at every red signal until we were out of town and then ran every stop sign for about 10 miles until we got almost home. We came to a hill too steep to pull in high and had to pull it with another car for about 1/4 mile.
I did not drive it again until we fixed the low and and installed Rocky Mountain Brakes.

One thing which was not mentioned above is stopping for pedestrians. This is a very important place to remember not to push the low all the way down.

A good place to learn to shift the T would be in a large open field on a dry day, or a vacant parking lot. Practice shifting from low to high and back to low Remember the engine speed should be syncronized to the speed of the car, so when shifting up, close the throttle as you lift the pedal and then pull the throttle down after you get into high. And when shifting down, leave the throttle down because you want the engine to speed up. Then if you are shifting down to slow down, close the throttle after you get into gear.
It is best to use the neutral on the parking lever only for warming up the car, or when waiting for a long signal to save the legs. Get used to the neutral position on the low pedal, Soon it will come naturally by habit.
Norm

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:47 am

Speaking of synchronization the levers...

FC744CC0-E23D-4666-81ED-9CAFCB9908EE.jpeg

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:49 pm

This link has animation of how the gears engage as you change position of the handbrake lever and pedal usage . The animation may take a little bit of time to load t hen you can click on the handbrake and pedals
https://www.modeltcentral.com/transmiss ... #animation
Try these sequences and watch the drive gear. I welcome criticism of the sequences - thinking pictures help
Attachments
shift.jpg
Last edited by TRDxB2 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

JohnM
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:44 pm

"...when do you put the parking brake handle in the most forward position ?"
When the road is open in front of you.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:56 pm

The brake lever has many positions for many situations. It stays all the way back at all times which keeps the car in neutral and the rear (emergency) brakes engaged until the car is started and you are behind the wheel and ready to engage the transmission to move the car, at which time, you adjust the levers and push the clutch halfway down to put the car in neutral in preparation to engage the C pedal low gear or put the car in reverse, using the R pedal. At this time you push the lever forward, which takes the transmission out of neutral, disengages the rear brakes and gives you complete control of the transmission, so you can drive the car. The brake lever can also be used to help stop the car while driving, because the transmission brakes (B pedal) are notoriously poor at stopping the car and are not always sufficient to stop the car on their own, so, if you find you need extra stopping power, you can pull back on the brake lever while engaging the brake pedal, while holding the clutch (C) pedal halfway down. If you need to push the car by hand you can push the lever halfway forward to put the car in neutral, but not engage the rear brakes, so the car can be pushed. All the way forward puts the car in neutral, and also engages the rear brakes so that the car cannot be pushed by hand. Jim Patrick

PS. The brake lever is very important in that it holds the car in the same place when starting the car, especially manually with the front crank. Until you are sure your brake lever is adjusted correctly and capable of holding the car back while starting, you should chock the wheels of the car, in case the car starts moving forward with the brake lever set and the car started. If you do get creep, be ready to run around and shut the car off. By all means, do not allow it to pin you against the garage wall.
Last edited by jiminbartow on Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:13 pm

I would add a couple things to what Jim Patrick posted. One is when you are coming to a stop, push the throttle up and leave in gear until you are slowed down. This will engage the engine compression to slow the car. If you need to stop more quickly, push the low pedal into low gear which will assist the compression to slow more quickly. Use the foot brake while doing the above, and lastly use the parking brake lever if an emergency. Remember that the parking brake puts the transmission in neutral, so if you use it before you have slowed down on compression, it will not stop as well as with compression When the engine slows down, you can even depress the low pedal which will assist the compression to slow the car. Then just before coming to a stop, move the low pedal into neutral so you don't kill the engine.
The other thing I would mention is That for backing up, or driving slowly such as a parade or in a parking lot, you can pull the parking brake part way back into the neutral position, then you have both legs free for the pedals. You can use the left leg for reverse and have the right leg free to use the foot brake. And in a parade you can use the low pedal to move and coast in neutral or use the foot brake to slow down or stop.
I realize this seems quite complicated, but with a little practice, it comes naturally.
Norm

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Hap_Tucker » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:47 pm

Welcome to the forum and to the fun of owning, working on and driving a Model T Ford.

If you are near Sumter, SC – I would gladly help if you would like. Click on my name to the right of this posting and it brings up my profile. You can send me an e-mail from there or a PM (Private Message).

For additional information on the SC Model T Ford Club Chapter please see the posting at: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18016 .

Size of posting respectfully shortened,

Hap l9l5 cut off
Last edited by Hap_Tucker on Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:36 am

First of all, don't be intimidated. There's a lot of good advice so far. So much of it, in fact, that it might give the impression that learning to drive a Model T is a major challenge. It isn't. Many millions of people have done it. The link Neal posted above for Mitch Taylor's videos is a good place to start.

While Model T brakes don't match those on a modern car, I think some folks exaggerate their horribleness. Still, it's a good idea to plan your stops as much as possible, and use engine braking a lot and the brake pedal a little.

I'll be the iconoclast here and shock some folks with the revelation that I've never used the low pedal for neutral. I use the hand lever. It moves the same linkage on the transmission. The lever and the pedal both skin the same cat.

The chart Jim posted showing many different throttle and spark lever positions applies to running on battery. When running on magneto there are only three spark positions. It's customary to start on battery and switch to magneto, in which case you can forget about the chart. Just move the lever down to where the car runs best.

Nobody has mentioned starting, but Mitch demonstrates it nicely in the videos. Even on 1919-1927 cars with electric start, a lot of people use the hand crank at least occasionally because it looks cool. On 1909-1918 cars, it's the only way to start unless they've been "upgraded". Here's my take on safe hand starting: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG101.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:28 am

A person asked a very simple question so would a simple reply do or do you put up enough to read for 24 years?? Keep it true and simple!! Bud. :D

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:20 am

Hey Bud, at least it’s shorter than when somebody asks which oil to use! :D

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:04 am

No problem with the length of the posts except one caution! DO NOT READ THIS ON A CELLPHONE WHILE DRIVING!! :o
Norm

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:30 am

The two most widely possessed yet never read books are the Holy Bible and automobile owners manuals.

Read the Ford Manual. If you don't have one, you can read it online:

https://www.mtfca.com/books/fordman/

As far as YouTube videos are concerned: the bad videos on how to operate a Model T and the misinformation contained wherein seem to outnumber the good videos so take them with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't rely on the the hand brake lever for shifting from low to high.

As others have posted, put the lever in neutral for practicing your foot and throttle technique for getting the car into low gear. Once you have mastered that, then you can graduate from shifting from low to high with only your foot.

Putting the lever in neutral is handy when going in reverse, especially if you have large feet, and when jockeying the car around in tight spaces, etc.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:24 pm

I wouldn't rely on the the hand brake lever for shifting from low to high.

You have to put the lever forward before you can engage high gear, but it's letting up the pedal that makes the shift from low to high. For stopping you need to go to neutral. You can do that with the lever or the pedal. Is the pedal better? If so, why?
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:00 pm

Relying on the brake lever to shift into high creates otherwise unnecessary physical motion by the driver: leaning forward, left hand on the lever instead of keeping it on the steering wheel, etc. It's an unnecessary complication.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Sorry to add to this already much too long of a thread to answer a simple question, but I would like to mention a handy tip to make close maneuvering easier, safer, and to add some "peace of mind". Centering the hand brake lever to "lock-in neutral" prior to intricate maneuvers like parallel parking, entering tight space like into a garage, or loading onto a trailer is a very good (and safe) practice, and here's a good way to do that:

With the car stopped, pull the hand brake lever back toward center (neutral) very slowly, and watch the clutch pedal. You will see that the clutch pedal moves proportionately downward with rearward hand brake lever movement. As you pull the hand brake lever back toward neutral, you will soon reach a point where the clutch pedal STOPS moving downward along with the hand brake lever moving back. Only pull the hand brake one "click" further than that point, and you will then be assured that you are locked in neutral, but with no fear of having the hand brake back far enough back to have begun setting the hand brake. Now you can maneuver all you want, knowing that you are securely locked in neutral but not dragging against a partially set hand brake. Hope this makes sense,.....harold

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:32 am

Why are there those that lament the long length of this thread and discourage detailed answers to a newbie that is about to embark on one of the most important activities of the Model T owner. All the contributors to this thread are providing tips they have learned over many years of driving Model T’s that may help new Model T owners to get an understanding of a totally new and different way to drive and I am grateful they are taking the time to do so. To me, there are few things more important on this forum and not enough can be said about the proper use of the pedals and levers and how to avoid getting into trouble. Regardless of what anyone says, let’s keep this thread going until every newbie that reads this will have all the information they need to safely take to the roads in their Model T. We were all in their position at one time and if what we say can prevent just one person from making a mistake on the road, resulting in an accident, it will all be worth it, for this may be the thread that pops up in future searches on how to drive a Model T. Jim Patrick

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:26 pm

You have 20 different people explaining 20 different ways to drive to a newbie. How is he suppose to learn?

Probably the best way is to watch one video over and over. If that way does not work for him, try a different video.

Or best, find someone with a T and learn from him.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Maybe the way to drive the Model T was explained 20 different ways, but not twenty different ways to to drive a Model T. I have not read one answer on this thread that is incorrect and all answers provide at least one bit of useful information. Members here try not to provide erroneous information. We are all trying to help. If some of the answers are redundant, that is okay. It just reinforces the notion that many of our experiences are the same, while some may have discovered something we can all learn from. I know I have learned some new things from this thread and I have been driving my Model T for 48 years since 1972. What does it hurt, if a thread is long, as long as it is accurate, educational and informative. Thus far, this thread has received 35 responses. I can recall the old pre-2019 forum when a thread received over 100 responses. When the new forum started, many of the old members dropped off and some good questions received hardly any answers at all. Now we are finally getting more participation and some members are complaining about it. Please don’t complain about the length of a thread. Participation and the sharing of knowledge, no matter how redundant, is evidence of a healthy forum. The purpose of the forum is to provide answers. It is up to the questioner to make his own choice from the vast trove of answers and determine for himself what works best. Jim Patrick

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:56 am

Lots of advice on how to drive a model T. All seems good. Heres some on how not to drive a T. Get it running, drive it around the block three times, load it on the trailer and go to a 150 mile tour. Trust me on this one. Practice Practice Practice.

Topic author
Old school

Post by Old school » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:43 am

Thanks to all for taking the time to help. As to the length of the thread, I would much rather receive many informative responses than too few.

otrcman

Post by otrcman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 pm

In re-reading the OP's original question, I see that none of our replies has directly answered the original question:

"......... when do you put the parking brake handle in the most forward position ?"

The short answer is that you can put the parking brake handle in the most forward position most any time, depending on where you place the other controls and what you intend to do next. But you should start with a good understanding of just what the parking brake handle does in its various positions.

1. With the PB handle pulled fully aft, the clutch pedal is depressed to the mid position (neutral) and the rear brakes are applied. In this position, the car should not roll, but the engine can be started.

2. With the PB handle in mid position, the clutch pedal is still depressed to mid position (neutral), but the rear brakes are no longer applied. If you move the handle to the mid position, you'd best be in the driver seat with the foot brake applied or be on level ground.

3. With the PB handle in most forward position, the clutch pedal is fully released (HI gear), and the rear brakes are not applied. If you move the PB to this position with the engine running, you'd best be in the driver seat with both the foot brake applied and the clutch pedal depressed half way down, ready to drive.

With the above understanding of the three PB handle positions, you will understand why all the other recommendations have been made.

Dick

Mikey1968
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Jewell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring

Post by Mikey1968 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:53 pm

I'm a brand new T driver (once in low only so far). I've decided to go hydraulic rear brakes next spring (no debates on this, please). I have a question for those with the hydraulic brakes....if you make the mistake at a panic stop or even a regular stop and jam the clutch in low and hit the brakes like a modern stick car, what happens? Will you stop and stall the T?

Thanks for your replies.
Mike

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:35 pm

Micheal, jamming your foot don on the clutch pedal engages low gear. This will result in heavy engine braking.. If you activate hydraulic brakes on the rear wheels at the same time, you will be braking on them. As the vehicle comes to a stop, the low gear engaged by the clutch pedal will be fighting the hydraulic brakes, and the car will stall. In a panic stop, by all means use the low gear pedal for engine braking, but in the heat of that moment, you need to let up on the pedal when the car has to come to a full stop.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

otrcman

Post by otrcman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:22 pm

Odds are that the combined tranmission brake and rear wheel hydraulic brake would overpower the torque of the engine. But ..... if you push the clutch pedal to the floor when you are very close to an obstacle the car may lurch forward and hit said obstacle before you can get your foot to the brake.

(Don't ask)

Mikey1968
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Jewell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring

Post by Mikey1968 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:58 am

Thanks for the replies.....going to be fun!

Happy New Year!!!!
Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic