Dimensions Of These Ports?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bill Everett
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Everett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1912 Roadster PickUp in process
MTFCA Number: 93
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2011

Dimensions Of These Ports?

Post by Bill Everett » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:34 pm

Although I've never seen one, nor have I heard that these existed, my guess is that when in current production, there was a drawing of a finished engine block with all the machined areas' dimensions.

Does anyone know what the "when new, finished, and ready for assembly" did the block's intake and exshaust ports dimensions were?

Also, has anyone ever felt the need to "clean up" the area on these ports where the copper rings go? As you can see, mine are somewhat pitted.

A respected engine builder told me to not give it any thought, that the copper rings will negate the need for any machining.

Thanks for your help.

Bill Everett
Attachments
Model T Block Intake And Exhaust Ports-2.jpg

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: Dimensions Of These Ports?

Post by TWrenn » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:46 pm

Bill, this is yet another reason why I really prefer this type of manifold "gasket".
They do a good job of "taking up" any imperfections. Bit pricey, but believe me, they're worth it!

Try 'em....you'll like 'em as advertisements say! Happy New Year.

https://snydersantiqueauto.com/ProductD ... t/manifold

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:33 pm

Just installed a set of these. Chamfering the edges of the outside diameter on both sides of the copper 1 piece gasket rings made installation easier as any variation in the distance between the ports on the block and the manifolds make it a bit difficult to get both aides to go together. It took the chamfers and a little tapping with a soft face hammer to get things started. We put a little Super Black RTV around the intakes just to make sure to get a good seal in the intake ports. To clarify, I'm not suggesting to chamfer the manifold bores or the ports in the block- just the sharp edges of the copper rings referred to in the link above to the Snyders website.
Last edited by Dan McEachern on Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:13 pm

I have not had to do anything with the bores of the ports. The gaskets actually seal against the flat surface of the block. When doing machine work on the block such as re-boring or milling down the top of the block, you can also take off just enough from the manifold surface of the block to remove the pits. I use the steel inserts between the manifolds and the block with the copper rings between the flat surfaces. If the exhaust manifold is not straight, the rings will not fit. In that case the manifold needs to be straightened or replaced.I would not chamfer the ports because if the manifold is not lined up correctly it is almost impossible to get a good seal. It should be straightened or replaced.
Norm

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:22 pm

Dan's chamfer idea works well. The material from which the gaskets are formed is thick enough to be able to file a good chamfer to start the rings into their seats. It is not the thin copper used in the round gland rings. With severely pitted blocks/manifolds I use a product specified for exhaust sealing to help with the seal. It cures with heat. Here in Australia it is called Maniseal. It comes in a tube and is the consistency of thick toothpaste, so it stays where you put it.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic