Auction....Douglass, Kansas

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Auction....Douglass, Kansas

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:53 am

There is an auction on February 12th, 2021 at 11:15 am.

It will be at 17080 SW Purity Springs Rd

I’ve seen video of the property. There are at least 6 unrestored but needing restoration Model T Fords there: several tourings, a TT truck, a couple of coupes, a couple of sedans, sheet metal, wooden body parts, rims, tires, etc.

Here’s a link: https://www.sundgren.com/antique-cars-a ... in-markel/
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Re: Auction....Douglass, Kansas

Post by Joe Bell » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:08 am

Looks like a heck of an Auction, lots of buried treasures there, to bad it is so far away.

NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Post by NealW » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:04 pm

I live about 1/2 hour from the auction, so I plan on going just to at least look. I haven't told my wife yet...

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18388
I'll go to the preview and scout out what's there. From the pictures it looks like there will be a few reasons for me to return for the auction. I don't understand the 10% "buyer's premium". It just cuts down what I'm willing to bid. Reminds me of a market where all the prices had "+10%" after them in small print. It was in a poor neighborhood across from a housing project. I suppose the customers were assumed to be too math challenged to know what was going on.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:30 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 pm
I don't understand the 10% "buyer's premium". It just cuts down what I'm willing to bid.

That's because you're a reasonable person. I have been attending antique phonograph auctions for over 30 years, all by the same auction house. Just a few years ago, they started a 10% buyer's premium. Like you, I thought it would stifle the bidding. Long story short, it didn't. If somebody wants "it", they bid till they get "it", then pay the piper later. I hate to admit, I've been that person at times.

Topic author
Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Jerry VanOoteghem wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:30 pm
Steve Jelf wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 pm
I don't understand the 10% "buyer's premium". It just cuts down what I'm willing to bid.

That's because you're a reasonable person. I have been attending antique phonograph auctions for over 30 years, all by the same auction house. Just a few years ago, they started a 10% buyer's premium. Like you, I thought it would stifle the bidding. Long story short, it didn't. If somebody wants "it", they bid till they get "it", then pay the piper later. I hate to admit, I've been that person at times.

I was at a regular house sale auction when I was a kid and my dad got me a bidder's number. Box of 78 RPM records I bid upon. Some joker jumped in and started bidding against me. I held command of the bid, and when I finally backed out, he paid through the nose for them.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:31 pm

Buyer's fees have been a regular fixture of many if not most auctions for the last 50 years.
The seller pays a fee; the buyer pays a fee.
The auctioneer makes a living for a lot of hard work and knowledge.

Perhaps the buyer should pay both sides of the fee. That would be fairer to the seller, no?

eBay and the internet has screwed up a lot of people's understanding of how a non-Megacorp world works.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:37 pm

Not meant to be an inclusive rational - just a perspective
Its is the seller that has hired someone to manage & market the sale of items that they no longer want and negotiated the fees involved. The seller then is totally responsible for any fees that they need to pay the auctioneer. While I don't agree to Buyer Premiums for every type of auction there are some where the Auctioneer also provides a service to the buyer - paper work, documentation etc. Indoor facilities, tables, chairs, staff to make you bid known, help in loading , (refreshments?) etc are for the benefit of the buyer - so they need to cover their comfort costs. And as Douglas said - If someone wants it they'll pay for it - taxes too :o
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:14 pm

TRDxB2 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:37 pm
Not meant to be an inclusive rational - just a perspective
Its is the seller that has hired someone to manage & market the sale of items that they no longer want and negotiated the fees involved. The seller then is totally responsible for any fees that they need to pay the auctioneer.
True, but the seller wishes to pay the lowest fee possible, so an auctioneer who places all the burden on the seller will lose out to a competing auctioneer who gets the buyers to pick up some of the costs. You are totally correct in that the auctioneer makes it all happen for those who wish to bid & buy and that is certainly worth paying for. (Especially on-site restrooms!) The auctioneer I mentioned above, who does phonograph auctions, always puts on a full blown Thanksgiving dinner for his annual November auction. (Stantons Auctioneers, Vermontville, MI)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic