Interesting Model T Story

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jeff Perkins
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Perkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Runabout 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 10642
MTFCI Number: 17799
Board Member Since: 1999

Interesting Model T Story

Post by Jeff Perkins » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:21 am

Here is some Minnesota local history concerning production of Model T’s and the glass needed for the cars. Picture shows loading of new cars on a barge in the Mississippi River at St. Paul in 1925.
https://www.startribune.com/did-ford-mo ... 600006618/
Attachments
28C312FB-7A9D-4BD2-93A2-C0CCCA5C7BF5.jpeg
1913 Model T Runabout,
1926 Model T Touring,
1948 Chrysler New Yorker,
1991 Mazda Miata

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Interesting Model T Story

Post by DHort » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:07 pm

Jeff

If there are 4 miles of tunnels, it makes one wonder where do the tunnels lead and under whose house is a tunnel? If they took sand out from under my house why did I not get paid for that, and how far down do my land rights go? What if I drilled a well and hit the tunnel right in the middle? Questions. Questions.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:20 pm

Interesting. Where I live, is historic gold mining country. When we moved here, one of the 'disclosures' we were given was that the entire area has mine shafts around, and that many of them are not mapped, and unknown! Just before we bought and moved here, a man was killed while sitting in his kitchen when that half of his house suddenly dropped into a sinkhole! There are areas around the entire county where minor sinkholes can be found. One took out the right lane on the freeway near our place a few years ago. Also a few years ago, and likely related to the one under the freeway, the city had a poorly maintained drainage culvert leak, and had to buy a commercial property that suddenly disappeared into the mineshafts below. Fortunately, the former company that had been there had moved out, and the new company that had just signed the lease had not begun to move in yet. I sometimes wonder if Schwab's Tire next door ever worries about it?
Most of the tunnels have never been mapped. But some were. Almost a hundred years ago, one mining company's wastewater from mining operations went down an abandoned tunnel. It somehow seeped much farther and broke into another mining company's operational tunnels. A huge lawsuit ensued. A large wire model to exacting scale was made of the tunnels of the two companies. The model is over ten feet square, and still on display at the Empire Mine State Park and museum.

As for one's rights concerning whatever is below your property? Depends upon both state and local laws and contracts. I own everything down to 75 feet below the surface. Any gold I find there is mine. anything below that? Belongs to some mining conglomerate somewhere. Water rights have a whole lot of rules special for them.
Last edited by Wayne Sheldon on Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:51 am

Wayne is describing something that is rather common around Grass Valley. Linda's Dad's place, on Margaret Lane, had that limitation in his deed too. A few years ago a company tried to restart that mine, but ran into environmental problems with disposing of the water that had filled the mine. My property is on the edge of a gold rush era dredge pond; lots of quartz shows up every time it rains. BUT I do have full mineral rights! So any gold I find i MINE, ALL MINE (my precious!). So far I haven't even panned the creek, which I know has gold in it. Guess i need to work on my "gold fever." :)
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic